Stuck

Options
I started this journey of mine back in Feburary , so far i've lost 39 lbs. I've been exercising and eating right (yes I have cheat days) Anyway for the last month or so the scales don't seem to move. I can't understand why , I walk 4-5 miles daily and i'm staying under 1200 calories. I completely gave up soda (not even doing diet) I mainly have 10 oz of oj , 1 bottle of diet green tea , 8 oz of grapefruit juice , and the rest of the day is water bunches and bunches. I have about 25 lbs I'd like to lose and I'm not giving up but yes it's becoming frustrating.

Replies

• jealous_loser
    Options
    You may be at a plateau. maybe have a rest week where you eat a few more calories to "reset" and then go back to your less calories?
  • natashaging
    Options
    Thanks for the idea. I never really thought about doing that but guess I could give it a try.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    If you're walking 4-5 miles per day (which is awesome, wow), your body is probably getting to the point where it needs more than 1200 calories to burn. When you say under 1200, how much does under mean? That's not a lot of food.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    I actually wouldn't stop but as the other suggested you've probably hit a plateau. Try adding 200 more calories to the mix for the next couple of weeks to see if that gets things moving again. If not add another 100 on top of that so on a so forth. Now that you've lost a bunch your metabolism has hit its peak based on the food you consume so your body is simply storing whatever you put into it as it needs more fuel.

200 calories is pretty easy to add as well: handful of nuts, 2 tbsp of all natural Peanut Butter, a banana or two, protein shake, 1c of 1% cottage cheese, etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You need to eat more. As you lose weight, your body has less fat stores (best source of energy) and the close to a normal weight "not your goal weight", the smaller the calorie deficit you can have. Too few calories and your body goes catabolic where it will convert the amino acids in muscles to create energy (causing you to lose lean body mass).

So what is your height, weight and age and we can give you about how many calories you should eat.
  • natashaging
    Options
    Most days I'm right at 1200 other days I only do about 1000. I'm 30 , 5'2 & weigh 163.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Most days I'm right at 1200 other days I only do about 1000. I'm 30 , 5'2 & weigh 163.

1000 is too few calories, your metabolism has slowed because of it.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options

Def not getting enough calories. Increase to at least 1400.
  • natashaging
    Options

Def not getting enough calories. Increase to at least 1400.

I will up my calories to 1400 and see how that goes. Thanks guys:)
  • margnutt
    margnutt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The walking that you are doing is awesome, but have you tried lifting weights? Your body has probably hit a plateau and the walking is not enough. I think adding a few more calories is a great idea, but try adding weight lifting into your routine. It will help build your metabolism and think of how great you will look with strong muscles! I always feel better about myself when I look and see the muscle definition I have gained over the last few months.
  • natashaging
    Options
    The walking that you are doing is awesome, but have you tried lifting weights? Your body has probably hit a plateau and the walking is not enough. I think adding a few more calories is a great idea, but try adding weight lifting into your routine. It will help build your metabolism and think of how great you will look with strong muscles! I always feel better about myself when I look and see the muscle definition I have gained over the last few months.

No I haven't done any weight lifting , I don't have a gym membership. I just use the treadmill or walk at the park. I'm thinking about doing the 30 day shred and adding in some zumba!!
  • psuLemon
    Options

No I haven't done any weight lifting , I don't have a gym membership. I just use the treadmill or walk at the park. I'm thinking about doing the 30 day shred and adding in some zumba!!

If you want to increase fat loss, then you really want to add weight training. You can pick up resistance bands for fairly cheap and will do the same thing as weights. Programs like chalean extreme will provide better results than 30DS as it incorporates heavy lifting.

Also, based on your stats, you should be eating 1700 calories day and that is only if you just do walking. It would be more like 1900 daily if you add more exercise.
  • BeachBum131
    Options
    Orange juice is packed full of sugar, and isn't a whole lot better for you that soda. :( I've also heard that sugar substitues (even soy milk!) are weight loss prohibitors, so if you're drinking bottled diet green tea or diet anything, there's a good chance there's something in it that might be stopping you from losing the maximum weight? I just read this in an article the other day, so you may want to look a little more into it to verify, but it might be a start. Hope this helps!
  • natashaging
    Options
    Orange juice is packed full of sugar, and isn't a whole lot better for you that soda. :( I've also heard that sugar substitues (even soy milk!) are weight loss prohibitors, so if you're drinking bottled diet green tea or diet anything, there's a good chance there's something in it that might be stopping you from losing the maximum weight? I just read this in an article the other day, so you may want to look a little more into it to verify, but it might be a start. Hope this helps!

The OJ does have 25g of sugar (yes that's alot) but I only drink a few a week. As far as I know and everything i've read says green tea is really good for ya , I will look more into it. Thank you:)
  • natashaging
    Options

If you want to increase fat loss, then you really want to add weight training. You can pick up resistance bands for fairly cheap and will do the same thing as weights. Programs like chalean extreme will provide better results than 30DS as it incorporates heavy lifting.

Also, based on your stats, you should be eating 1700 calories day and that is only if you just do walking. It would be more like 1900 daily if you add more exercise.

Can I buy those at walmart? Thanks for the info , i'm definitely gonna up my calorie intake!
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My initial thought on the details you provided is that you need to amp up the intensity level of you exercise (unless you are physically limited and cannot). If you are able to, I would try to at least do an activity twice per week that raises your heart rate to 80% of maximum for 30 minutes or more.

Don't get me wrong walking is awesome, but eventually what you are eating and what you are burning will start to come close so you can either put less wood in the fire or stoke the flames hotter to get through your sticking point - worked for me - I would opt for the latter...
  • psuLemon
    Options

Can I buy those at walmart? Thanks for the info , i'm definitely gonna up my calorie intake!

You can buy the resistances bands but not Chalean extreme. You can buy from amazon.
  • natashaging
    Options
    My initial thought on the details you provided is that you need to amp up the intensity level of you exercise (unless you are physically limited and cannot). If you are able to, I would try to at least do an activity twice per week that raises your heart rate to 80% of maximum for 30 minutes or more.

Don't get me wrong walking is awesome, but eventually what you are eating and what you are burning will start to come close so you can either put less wood in the fire or stoke the flames hotter to get through your sticking point - worked for me - I would opt for the latter...

I agree with you , my husband keeps saying I just need to run. I do throw some jogging in with my walking but as far as running I just don't enjoy it and i'm afraid if I push myself to do something I don't enjoy I will just get burnt out and not want to do it. Thanks for the advice:)
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I agree with you , my husband keeps saying I just need to run. I do throw some jogging in with my walking but as far as running I just don't enjoy it and i'm afraid if I push myself to do something I don't enjoy I will just get burnt out and not want to do it. Thanks for the advice:)

I am not a runner either - personally I opted for P90X. It is a combination of strength and endurance interval training (like Plyometrics). I have been doing it since January and I enjoy it immensely. Never been more fit or athletic in my life (and I spent my youth in gyms and playing sports).
  • goldilocks509
    goldilocks509 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    are you eating back the calories you burned? you need to...i didnt and GAINED! ahhh! so now i would rather go over a little bit than be under and am back to losing