Would you...

Options
vade43113
vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
I read a story, in a health mag... that taking a shower can help you increase your metabolism ... but their is a catch, you have to do it at the coldest setting.

Now before anyone says their is no magic pill or what ever...I know and this is just for fun...

Would you take a shower/bath in frigged water?

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no way.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have but it was because I was so freaking hot and the AC wasn't working.
  • FitnFabMichelle
    FitnFabMichelle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Nope! Well...not unless I'd weigh 5 pounds lighter afterwards, each and every time...and it stayed off... :)
  • AnotherHolly
    Options
    Yes I do but I wasn't aware of the metabolism-magic going on :)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I nearly always do after morning cardio otherwise I'll shower and still sweat for 15 minutes after I get out. I start outwith luke-warm and then just keep dropping the temp till it's nothing but cold water. It feels so good. In the winter I don't get it quite as cold but I hardly ever take a hot shower. Lukewarm to cool feels much better.
  • drewols
    drewols Posts: 77
    Options
    I always take ice cold showers and sit in ice baths several times a week. I love it and feel great afterwards, but don't attribute any of this to my weight/fat loss
  • vade43113
    Options
    If your wondering... here are two sites that back the claim so you can read

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/Ice-Bath.htm

http://www.cold-showers.com/a-doctors-view-on-cold-showers

I know because two websites say it, it doesnt mean it is true...again just for fun
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    He11 no. When I shower, it's at the hottest temperature my body can stand even if it is plus 35 (Celsius) outside.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Nope, never. After a hard workout, I'll sometimes take a 'warm' shower, but never a cold one. And generally, I take hot showers after I workout - sometimes I've blasted myself so hard that I actual have the chills, and I want to warm up.

The cold-shower phenomenon works on the same principle as when you're cold generally - you're body has to work harder to maintain your internal core temperature, so you burn a few more calories as a result. This will work any time, not just after a workout, but I'm guessing they're thinking is that, since your metabolism is already up, this would give you some sort of cumulative effect.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    He11 no. When I shower, it's at the hottest temperature my body can stand even if it is plus 35 (Celsius) outside.

Soul. Mate.
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    I normally go to the coldest setting just after a super hard work out...Its my version of an ice bath that athletes do.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    LOL I live in Las Vegas. During the summer our cold water is just about perfect for a bath. My shower setting never gets even close to the H on the dial. So I guess, technically, I take a cold shower every morning. :) Haven't seen any change in metabolism yet.
  • vade43113
    Options
    Nope, never. After a hard workout, I'll sometimes take a 'warm' shower, but never a cold one. And generally, I take hot showers after I workout - sometimes I've blasted myself so hard that I actual have the chills, and I want to warm up.

The cold-shower phenomenon works on the same principle as when you're cold generally - you're body has to work harder to maintain your internal core temperature, so you burn a few more calories as a result. This will work any time, not just after a workout, but I'm guessing they're thinking is that, since your metabolism is already up, this would give you some sort of cumulative effect.

Nope, I am just seeing who would... personally never tried it, taking a dip in the pool is cold enough for me...
  • Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I nearly always do after morning cardio otherwise I'll shower and still sweat for 15 minutes after I get out. I start outwith luke-warm and then just keep dropping the temp till it's nothing but cold water. It feels so good. In the winter I don't get it quite as cold but I hardly ever take a hot shower. Lukewarm to cool feels much better.

Yep, this.^^ Although, if I've been outside in the winter for awhile, I will warm it up some to combat a chill.
  • jessickkah
    Options
    NO
    I'm too obsessed with my hot steamy showers lawlz. :)