Runners bad run day

Options
Im a new runner. Just graduated c25k. I have my first 5k this Sunday.
I was off this morning doing a great pace then I went mental. All the thoughts in my head telling me "just walk". All my personal problems weighed on my chest. I've never experienced this kind of fatigue in any of my runs or workouts. I did walk but picked it up again and then just stopped with a quarter mile left. I'm so angry at myself, I can't believe that I gave up.

Any experienced runners get this? If so help,

Replies

• annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Everybody has off days. Just shake it off, take a rest day, and try again. Sometimes your body is just tired!

Just think of how far you've come compared to when you started! I'm sure you'll be back to normal for your next run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There's a standing joke among scuba divers - there are two kinds of divers, those who pee in their wetsuit and those who lie about it.

Same goes for runners, there are those who have the occasional bad day/run and those who lie about it. Bad runs can be just as important when it comes to learning about your body and running. It can be as simple as your body telling you it needs some rest. Try to think back to anything that may have changed. Did you eat differently? Did you get enough sleep? Any stressful stuff going on in your life right now? Was it hotter / colder? Were you adequately hydrated?

These can all impact how you perform on a particular day, we all have days that suck.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I always find runs like that are good luck before a race! Don't be tempted to shake it off by squeezing in an extra run tomorrow before your race. Instead rest well, eat well and drink enough water and rest assured you've got all the training you need under your belt. You'll ace it on Sunday!
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Been running for years and I still have off days. Heck, I've had off weeks!! You add it on to your mileage and move on the the next run. Now, if you're having off weeks like I've had, sometimes it's your body asking for a break. That's when I'll do nothing for a couple days to fully rest.

It's not unusual at all. As a matter of fact, I'd say it's the norm.

ETA: A couple times I've started a treadmill run only to shut off the machine and go home before I even got 5 minutes into it. Sometimes I'm just not feeling it at all.
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I often have these issues during a race!!! Forget about it, try to think positive as much as you can and give it all that you've got. Your 2nd, 3rd and 4th races will probably be even better xx
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You have all made me feel soo much better. Thanks.
    I did have a bad week and all of the above has been affecting me.
    Good to know its normal.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I was off this morning doing a great pace then I went mental. All the thoughts in my head telling me "just walk". All my personal problems weighed on my chest. I've never experienced this kind of fatigue in any of my runs or workouts. I did walk but picked it up again and then just stopped with a quarter mile left. I'm so angry at myself, I can't believe that I gave up.

Dang, I am pretty sure you will not find a runner in existence who has not had that "just walk" thought go through their head at one time or the other and on more than a few occasions I would wager - I get that a fair bit when I do my runs, been running for years too, it never really disappears especially if I am tired or even if I am stale.

You didn't really give up though, did you.... you may have walked but you started to run again. Giving up would be whereby you just walked back home.

Do not get disheartened, do not think you will never be able to run non-stop again. Have a great race this Sunday and when you complete it, your bad training session will be a thing of the past and will be put out of your head forever.

Take your race as an excellent chance to exorcise that "bad" run - besides which, you will get an official time in the race.

All the best
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    There's a standing joke among scuba divers - there are two kinds of divers, those who pee in their wetsuit and those who lie about it.
    Haha! I've never heard that! But I won't lie, I did last time I went scuba diving! :tongue:
    Same goes for runners, there are those who have the occasional bad day/run and those who lie about it. Bad runs can be just as important when it comes to learning about your body and running. It can be as simple as your body telling you it needs some rest. Try to think back to anything that may have changed. Did you eat differently? Did you get enough sleep? Any stressful stuff going on in your life right now? Was it hotter / colder? Were you adequately hydrated?

These can all impact how you perform on a particular day, we all have days that suck.
    I was going to say the same things - everyone has an off day, and it could be any of the things Brian listed, who knows. Great job finishing the c25k program (I graduated in March, have my 2nd 5k race tomorrow), and good luck on Sunday! I'm resting today, hydrating all day long (it's stinkin' hot here right now, overnight low was 81º - ugh!), and ready to have fun with tomorrow's race, even if it is hot like it was this morning and I don't finish as well as I did with my first one.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Right after I finished C25K I did have to abandon a couple of runs, thankfully for me it wasn't many because I do have a tendency to quit way too quickly and easily. It happens though, and maybe you need to walk a bit and then pick it back up or try again the next day. Even now, after almost 2 years of running I get it in my head that I just need to stop and walk because it would be easier (last night this happened), that is when I have to remind myself that I am stronger physically than what my mind might be saying and get over the head games; sometimes those end up being the longest and best runs for me!
    Keep at it! It is worth it!
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    WE all have bad days. its normal. besides, the only bad day was the one you did not even try. good luck.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    If you never had a bad run... How can you expect to have an amazing run? They'd all be pretty bland wouldn't they?

Ask yourself what went wrong, what you can do different, and then crumple it up, throw it away and don't look back.

I've had one really great half marathon this year... and three other half and full marathons that sucked. But I still did it which is better than the 98% of the planet that didn't.

Put it another way... how fast would you need to be if every run delivered a personal best? Pretty silly notion isn't it? :laugh:

Don't worry... its normal. Lifes short. Enjoy the ride.
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Its very common bbe and i wouldnt worry about it. I too had this yesterday, although i pushed through, It took everything from me...Its usually your body telling you that you either need more fuel or better fuel. So make sure to have a high complex carbed meal an hour before. you need calories to burn calories. So fuel up better and some extra planning before like making a different more interesting playlist etc should help you power through!.

Well done for staying active and beautiful. !

Good luck!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Every one has off runs! Don't give it a second thought. But a word to the wise on your upcoming race. Start slow and then go slower. People are going to be pumped and you will start too fast and run out of steam a bit too soon. So, before a race, I make myself stand in the very back and start at a walk. Pretty soon, I am passing all those people who looked at me with disdain for being in the back of the pack and I finish way before they do.
  • samasche1
    samasche1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Also have my first 5k this sunday!! Good luck to you!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

I am new to running, since January anyway.

I actually had my first horrible run yesterday and though I pushed through, it was not a very rewaeding run. I second guessed myself all the way thrlough and like you I wanted to walk so bad. I still got in 3.56 miles in 40 minute (so slow) and I did add hills in like the program said but I kept the hills to a minimum and slowed my pace.

You are going to have those days and I was warned as well. They apparently sneak up on you.

A walking break can be a runners best friend. Glad you picked back up and a 1/4 mile is not so bad. You did more than many people did yesterday.

Your next run is exactly that, Start fesh and smile!
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of C25K and had my first bad run like that on W6D1. I had gotten used to doing my runs outside and had to use a treadmill at the gym due to rain. My legs pretty much said 'do not want' 5 minutes in and I didn't feel like running through the pain, so I walked a brisk pace instead. The next run I just moved on to W6D2 and nailed it.

Rest up and don't stress it. Do the best you can on Sunday and cross that finish line. :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    in my first 5k I went out and was doing awesome! I was passing a ton of people, and just motoring along. I was in the home stretch, till I saw the mile 2 marker. ... wtf?!?!
    The next 1.2 miles were about as close to h*ll as I could get. I normally can run 6 or 7 miles no problem.
    I had to stop and walk, hyperventilated. my shoulders hurt, my ribs hurt, it was just horrific.

so don't worry, and don't go off like a bullet. save a little for the end.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Runs like that show you your character, which is why they are called “character runs” one foot in front of another at a snail pace is still running.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Have a great run Sunday runner!!!
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    It happens. Don't dwell on it or it will eat away at you every time you lace up your running shoes.

Flush it and get back out there tomorrow! :flowerforyou: