High Potassium<sp?> foods?

Options
Tony_Brewski
Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
Just as the title says... I am looking for high potassium filled foods. I suffer from leg cramps after about a quarter mile of running, and all my research shows I'm not getting enough of it. I setup the chart on this here MFP and so far I'm getting around 50% of whats needed. So I'd like to know some good taste foods (Besides bananas) that I can toss into my diet, either into meals or as a 'snack' food.

Thanks much!

Replies

• jensine2
    jensine2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Avocados, sweet potatoes, milk and any fruits I believe
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Spinach, dried apricots, tomatoes (tomato paste is a great source of potassium as it's so concentrated), almonds, sunflower seeds, sweet potatoes, broccoli, tofu, red peppers, romaine lettuce, kiwifruit, lentils, fennel...

For me a tofu stirfry with red onion, broccoli, mushrooms, red capsicum, and green beans gives me a whopping 1855mg of potassium, 471 calories, 13g of fibre and 37g of protein. It's really tasty too.
  • jephry
    jephry Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I went through a similar experience when I started playing competitive volleyball again. I've started eating baked sweet potatoes a few nights a week (with Brummel & Brown yogurt butter and cinnamon). They are loaded with potassium and low cal and tasty!

Also, cooked tomatoes are great for potassium (make your own tomato sauce, picante sauce, etc.).

Dried apricots are good, too.

Some others from http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm

Lima beans (yuck LOL), white beans, spinach, winter squash (whatever that is), soybeans, potatoes (skin mostly), carrot juice and prune juice.

Good luck to you!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    reduced sodium salt is usually 50% potassium salt - no calories !

I would be wary of relying on MFP for potassium or similar things, the user entered data often doesn't have it entered at all.

I had a lot of cramping, potassium didn't really sort it but magnesium seems to have done the trick. I use a magnesium oil spray on my calves.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Beans are super duper high in Potassium... I think 1 serving of Lima Beans has like 1000MG of Potassium, not to mention they have tons of protein and fiber. Steal cut oats have a good amount of potassium as well... and 'no salt' is made out of potassium
  • Tony_Brewski
    Options
    Spinach, dried apricots, tomatoes (tomato paste is a great source of potassium as it's so concentrated), almonds, sunflower seeds, sweet potatoes, broccoli, tofu, red peppers, romaine lettuce, kiwifruit, lentils, fennel...

For me a tofu stirfry with red onion, broccoli, mushrooms, red capsicum, and green beans gives me a whopping 1855mg of potassium, 471 calories, 13g of fibre and 37g of protein. It's really tasty too.

If I ate tofu I'd give this a go. It does sound good though.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Peanuts has some, but only %6 of the daily recommended per serving, sad to say.
  • sarinaturner
    sarinaturner Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Raisins make a good snack and they're high in potassium
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Black beans and red potatoes are great for potassium. Bananas are decent for quick snacks.

Any stachy veggies are usually really good sources of potassium.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Options
    Thanks a ton folks this info is helpful!
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

You'd only lose about 200mg of potassium by substituting chicken breast for the tofu. I just love stirfry because you can have a plate full of vegies and since the meat and veg are both cut into small pieces and mixed together you don't look at your meal and go "wait, what is with all these bloody green things? Why don't I have more meat????".
  • Tony_Brewski
    Options
    Avocados, sweet potatoes, milk and any fruits I believe

Just checked Skim Milk is like 407 per 8oz serving.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Options

You'd only lose about 200mg of potassium by substituting chicken breast for the tofu. I just love stirfry because you can have a plate full of vegies and since the meat and veg are both cut into small pieces and mixed together you don't look at your meal and go "wait, what is with all these bloody green things? Why don't I have more meat????".

Good to know on the sub! Oh I hear ya I'm all about stir-fry! I got a wicked Orange glazed chicken stir-fry... sooo good. Tastes like candy if done right.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    The FDA doe snot require manufacturers to list potassium on their labels so you are probably getting a lot more than you think (or MFP says) you are.
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Nuts are good sources of potassium. Per 100g - pistachios (30%), almonds (21%), cashews (18%).

Other good sources (per 100g) include avocados (14%), unsweetened bakers dark chocolate (24%), fish (varies, but typically 11-18%), and various types of beans (typically in the 15% range)
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    If you want to be friends so you can see my diary, I get about 4,000 mg. a day and it's easy. And I'm vegetarian so not getting it from meat sources, or milk, which I don't drink. Potassium intake needs to roughly double sodium intake, this makes the cellular "pump" work which keeps your cells and tissues flushed of toxins and regulates body fluid, including blood pressure.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    The FDA doe snot require manufacturers to list potassium on their labels so you are probably getting a lot more than you think (or MFP says) you are.

This is true.

Also, in the database, the foods without an asterisk beside them are from the USDA nutritional database. They have potassium content listed.
  • badgerbabs
    badgerbabs Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Regular old potatoes are high in potassium (and Vitamin C). I was told by my doctor that the vitamins in a potato are concentrated in the outer 1/4 inch or so of the potato - so you don't have to eat all the starchy innards to get the benefit. Another great source for almost no calories and a lot of fiber is celery. And, of course, the uber-food, kale.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Options
    If you want to be friends so you can see my diary, I get about 4,000 mg. a day and it's easy. And I'm vegetarian so not getting it from meat sources, or milk, which I don't drink. Potassium intake needs to roughly double sodium intake, this makes the cellular "pump" work which keeps your cells and tissues flushed of toxins and regulates body fluid, including blood pressure.

Really? That is very informative! Thanks a ton!