Confused - opened up diary and would love suggestions

Options

Replies

• rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agree I would never guess your age - you look much younger!

You seem to be doing fine but one thing I would consider is changing your ratios of carbs and protein. MFP has carbs defaulted to a pretty high level, and based on a glance at your diary, you've exceeded even that level occasionally. (Not that carbs are bad and you do need them - ideally whole grain - especially if you are doing lots of cardio). I'm no expert, but I feel better when I keep my carbs in check. Also, if you start lifting, a little extra protein will be important. Protein also keeps you more satisfied longer than carbs so you don't feel as hungry when you're on a low calorie program.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, try to eat every 3-4 hours. It keeps your metabolism working non-stop throughout the day. Just be sure to eat smaller snacks and smaller meals (weighing and measuring your food is a REALLY good idea).

This statement is false. Meal frequency has no affect on weight loss except for it helps to curb cravings.
  • chachan
    chachan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What about your measurements? It's been my experience that when I'm stalled out for weight, I'm losing size.

Well, other than the inch and half in waist and two inches off my hips, I don't know. I haven't measured arms or legs. Oops...just saw your reply...never mind!
  • ericsperling
    Options
    My secret weapon is oatmeal. I never liked oatmeal as a kid but learned to adopt it into my diet because of the following benefits: low calorie, appetite suppressing, low glycemic, delicious. Whenever I'm starving, I hit the oatmeal first and then some protein (string cheese, low cal ice cream, meat) if I'm still hungry. It keeps the hunger off until the next meal. Here's my little recipe to drees it up:

-Quaker instant low sugar maple (1 packet = 120 cal)
    -1 tsp honey (20 cal)
    -2 pinches red cayenne pepper
    -1 Splenda packet
    -1 pinch Kosher salt
    -1 (9ml) Carnation non-dairy creamer (10 cal)
    -2/3 cup water
    Microwave to preferred consistency

The heat from the cayenne and temperature will prevent you from eating too quickly. Slow eating helps your body to feel full. Chefs often combine sweet (honey) with spice (cayenne) because the compliment each other (sugar counteracts the burn). Cayenne is suppose to increase metabolism and also gives you an adrenaline rush. The salt helps to elevate all of the flavors from bland to wonderful. The creamer adds silkiness, the Splenda adds sweetness.

What I love most about this is that although oatmeal is a starch, it doesn't hit you an hour later with an insulin crash (the sleepies).
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    CUT YOUR SODIUM....You are doing a great job with the calories...but you are not paying attention to your sodium....I looked at your Thurs diary....It looks great...but the snake in your closet is probably SODIUM....You had 2,074mg from your food on Thurs... and if you are using a salt shaker...you can probably double that figure....Try eating under 1,000mg of sodium for a few weeks.
  • chachan
    Options
    i perused your food diary for the past week, and what jumps out at me immediately is your carb intake- it's a lot higher than it should be, in my opinion, for someone trying to lose fat. i would suggest curbing it to only 30% of your daily calories, and definitely amp up your protein intake! this is easily done by replacing snacks with a protein shake or a handful of almonds (which also have healthy fat in them). try dilligently for two weeks to reduce your carbs to 30% of your daily caloric intake (meaning only 30% of your cals should come from carbs), and see if it helps any. how often are you working out/what kinds of activities are you doing?

on another note, i think you're gorgeous and seriously look nowhere near 41 :)

First, thanks for the compliment...very sweet, but black and white photography is kind to wrinkles!
    I will totally change the carb levels...I had adjusted it to the 40% after reading the Road Map posting that helped me figure out the TDEE and BMR numbers. I am getting most of those carbs from whole grains and veggies, but a bit of it comes from sugar too. Honestly, letting go of my coffee creamer makes me feel so deprived!!
  • chachan
    Options
    CUT YOUR SODIUM....You are doing a great job with the calories...but you are not paying attention to your sodium....I looked at your Thurs diary....It looks great...but the snake in your closet is probably SODIUM....You had 2,074mg from your food on Thurs... and if you are using a salt shaker...you can probably double that figure....Try eating under 1,000mg of sodium for a few weeks.

Great suggestion - thank you! Hadn't looked at sodium before!
  • chachan
    Options
    What types of workouts do you do?

I mix cardo with weight training. Weights usually 3 times a week and cardio 4 times...most weeks.
  • chachan
    Options
    Honestly you look great as you are! How tall are you? You may have reached a healthy weight for you. I'm 5' 8" and your current weight is my goal!

My measurements have me at 33% fat too, but remember it's just an estimation. Unless you get fully immersed in a body composition analysis chamber, it's just a guess.

NROLFW was informative but not for me. Lifting as heavy as I could meant I wasn't fully recovered for my running training and the diet was very protein-shake heavy. I do my own weight training with dumbbells, kettlebells and Body Pump and I'm getting results.

I'm 5'7" and would like to get to 144 or so...but am fine with that being higher as long as it's firm!!
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    Didn't get a chance to thoroughly read all the responses so I am sorry if this is repeated.

What jumps out at me is alot of processed stuff.
    Chips, cereal, english muffins, popcorn.

My suggestion is to eat more clean foods. Lower the carbs and up the protein.
  • jaimemc86
    jaimemc86 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I (personally) do not believe in eating back most or all of your exercised calories. (I realize that many people will probably yell at me on here for this), but it doesn't quite make sense that if, in order to lose weight, you need to burn more than you take in...why would you take back in everything that you burnt? Does that make sense? I could be off on this, but I only eat back about half or sometimes less of my exercised calories and it's been working well for me. I noticed on the weeks that I ate back most of them, my scale wouldn't budge. I do understand what "starvation mode" is, but I also understand that in order for my body to go into starvation mode, I'd have to do a lot more than just not eat back my exercised calories (approximately 200-500/day). In order for this to happen, I would literally need to start starving myself, and then my body would hold onto everything that I hate. I am still feeding myself, therefore I believe I am doing okay. Good luck, and ps...you already look awesome and I'd love to look like you when I'm 40! :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with a little less carbs and WAY more protein. This will help you retain and slowly build muscle. Your carb level is probably fine but try not to go over it so often. I see you like yogurt - try Chobani vanilla and add berries - it's lower in sugar and higher in protein. A lot of folks here do protein shakes, I prefer bars, it's totally up to you. And of course you can go the more natural route with protein and eat more fish/seafood, poultry, lean beef, legumes and dairy.

Also, defintely add sodium to your tracker. A few high sodium days can really mess up that scale reading!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    mostly your diary looks pretty good. what i would suggest is to take everything that you get from a box or carton and find a "clean" replacement for at least a little while.

the problem with "boxed" items is they usually take out the fiber and add sugar to keep them shelf stable. not always, but often. when you look at the sugars on a box, compare them with the fiber. if the sugars are say 9 and the fiber is 2, then you have a roughly 5:1 ratio. i would consider that reasonably "safe" but I always aim for less than 5:1 because then i can factor in the occasional sweet and not worry too much.

track your fiber. carbs in themselves are not evil; in fact, they're necessary for optimum physical performance, but because carbs are a mix of three micronutrients (starch, sugar & fiber) it's difficult to get a nutritional profile from just looking at carbs alone.
  • susanb8500
    susanb8500 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Your food diary looks really good to me. I agree with the posters who have recommended you cut down on the carbs and increase your protein intake. I completely understand with the coffee creamer. Do you think you could cut it down to 2 tbsp? Don't give up what you like, but reduce.

I started the NROL4W program. I really liked it! I had to stop due to an injury (not from lifting). You may want to consider a couple of sessions with a personal trainer to make sure you understand the proper form for heavy lifting and then use the book for the workouts. It can be boring with the same workouts, but it is fun to add more and more weight to the bar and amaze yourself at how much you can lift.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I am 15 also (5'3''), and I'm a mom (x5). Feel free to friend me. I have mfp set up to my BMR, and then I eat exercise calories. It's slow going, but it's going. Slow and steady wins. :) I have a long way to go, but it's happening, and I'll get there. There aren't any quick fixes.

However, if you want to do something to help reshape your body kind of quickly to prep for that wedding, I recommend 30 day shred.

Other than that, a good combination of heavy lifting, some cardio, and a healthy, balanced diet...

I don't know where my 6 went. I'm *156*
  • chachan
    Options
    My secret weapon is oatmeal. I never liked oatmeal as a kid but learned to adopt it into my diet because of the following benefits: low calorie, appetite suppressing, low glycemic, delicious. Whenever I'm starving, I hit the oatmeal first and then some protein (string cheese, low cal ice cream, meat) if I'm still hungry. It keeps the hunger off until the next meal. Here's my little recipe to drees it up:

-Quaker instant low sugar maple (1 packet = 120 cal)
    -1 tsp honey (20 cal)
    -2 pinches red cayenne pepper
    -1 Splenda packet
    -1 pinch Kosher salt
    -1 (9ml) Carnation non-dairy creamer (10 cal)
    -2/3 cup water
    Microwave to preferred consistency

The heat from the cayenne and temperature will prevent you from eating too quickly. Slow eating helps your body to feel full. Chefs often combine sweet (honey) with spice (cayenne) because the compliment each other (sugar counteracts the burn). Cayenne is suppose to increase metabolism and also gives you an adrenaline rush. The salt helps to elevate all of the flavors from bland to wonderful. The creamer adds silkiness, the Splenda adds sweetness.

What I love most about this is that although oatmeal is a starch, it doesn't hit you an hour later with an insulin crash (the sleepies).

This sounds delish!!!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I (personally) do not believe in eating back most or all of your exercised calories. (I realize that many people will probably yell at me on here for this), but it doesn't quite make sense that if, in order to lose weight, you need to burn more than you take in...why would you take back in everything that you burnt? Does that make sense? I could be off on this, but I only eat back about half or sometimes less of my exercised calories and it's been working well for me. I noticed on the weeks that I ate back most of them, my scale wouldn't budge. I do understand what "starvation mode" is, but I also understand that in order for my body to go into starvation mode, I'd have to do a lot more than just not eat back my exercised calories (approximately 200-500/day). In order for this to happen, I would literally need to start starving myself, and then my body would hold onto everything that I hate. I am still feeding myself, therefore I believe I am doing okay. Good luck, and ps...you already look awesome and I'd love to look like you when I'm 40! :)

mfp already sets you up at a healthy deficit. Therefore, the exercise may take that down into an UNHEALTHY deficit. Eating those exercise calories simply keeps your HEALTHY deficit in tact. :)

It's like putting a gallon of gas in your car and expecting it to do the work of four gallons. You can't expect your car to run on no fuel; you can't expect your body to run on no fuel.
  • chachan
    Options
    I am 15 also (5'3''), and I'm a mom (x5). Feel free to friend me. I have mfp set up to my BMR, and then I eat exercise calories. It's slow going, but it's going. Slow and steady wins. :) I have a long way to go, but it's happening, and I'll get there. There aren't any quick fixes.

However, if you want to do something to help reshape your body kind of quickly to prep for that wedding, I recommend 30 day shred.

Other than that, a good combination of heavy lifting, some cardio, and a healthy, balanced diet...

I don't know where my 6 went. I'm *156*

Funny! I thought...wow, 15 and 5 kids???? I do have the 30 day Shred dvd...tried it for awhile and started going to the gym instead. Do you do all three stages or one at a time...how do you use it? Thanks!
  • jilrsch
    jilrsch Posts: 7
    Options
    Your carbs seem too high. Cut out your sandwich thins and replace them with lettuce for a quick wrap. Cut out your cereal in the morning for boiled eggs or something with more protein. Also, if you are looking to tone up fast then try the 30 day shred. You will see results.
  • jilrsch
    jilrsch Posts: 7
    Options
    :) I should have read the above first.