Runners: Treadmill HIIT or Outdoor Sprints?

Options
Hi runner friends! I started running last Dec and started piling on the miles (a little prematurely) in training for a Half Marathon (which is not until the end of Oct). I decided to cut back my long runs and do more weight training and speed work. I also wanted to incorporate HIIT and/or sprints into my workouts. Yesterday, I did a 3 mile run on the treadmill and then a 20 min HIIT. Basically, I was trying to run balls out for a min and then do a jog for 2 min. I repeated 6 times. I set the the treadmill at 9.8 and was fine cardiovascularly, but I felt like I was going to get shot off the treadmill and/or trip myself up (I'm kind of clumsy). A couple of weeks ago, I did 100 yard sprints on the track. I can't remember what my pace was but it was quite a bit faster than on the treadmill (but also running for shorter spurts). Which way is more effective? How do you max out your HIIT without killing yourself on the treadmill? BTW, in the Fall, I can't wait to run sprints on the track. Unfortunately, the heat here in Atlanta is BRUTAL--which makes running outside nearly impossible!

Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions!

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like doing it outside, which is why I go at 4 or 5 am to beat the heat! Treadmills are tricky to me.
  • Carrie3B
    Carrie3B Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wow--4 or 5am--that's awesome! Wish I could get my lazy buns moving by then. I need to find a running partner that can "encourage" me to move it early!! :-)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's the only time I can get a good workout in. It started out of necessity, but now I really love it. Lets me know exactly how many cals I have to eat for the day--no guesswork!
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    BUMP

i've been wondering how to do sprints on the treadmill w/o killing myself. i'd venture outside but i'm such a sissy when its hot.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'm probably a bit biased here as I would rather boil my own head than run on a treadmill. Also, I am not a huge fan of running either.

However, wind sprints are awesome.

ETA: personally I think there is too much faffing around with trying to do HIIT on a treadmill unless you use a programme with an automatic interval incline setting which makes sprinting outdoors more efficient and safer. You could always substitute for a stationary bike though.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    BUMP

i've been wondering how to do sprints on the treadmill w/o killing myself. i'd venture outside but i'm such a sissy when its hot.

I have the same problem
    for now I do interval training on treadmill and HIIT on elliptical
  • Carrie3B
    Options
    I've been doing "speed runs" on the treadmill (which is tolerable). It's a lot longer than a HIIT though and not as intense.

It goes like:

Warm up a mile,
    run @ 7.8 for 4 min
    recover @ 3.5 for 1 min.
    Run @ 8.0 for 4 min
    recover @ 3.5 for 1 min.
    Run @ 8.3 for 4 min
    recover @ 3.5 for 1 min.
    Run @ 8.5 for 4 min

Repeat 2 times and then cool down 1 mile.

This usually wears me out pretty good!! :-)
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    It's more convenient for me to do HIIT on my treadmill, as opposed to going outside. I'm up at 4am on workout days, and all i have to do is go to my den, and off i go. Plus, i don't have a HRM or anything to help count my calories or heart rate. That's why (for now) i like having the treadmill in the comfort of my own home. Also, i never was a big outdoor jogger/runner. I'm pretty much an indoor person.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I do my speedwork on the treadmill (not sure if it's technically HIT). It's more convenient than going to a track, and honestly it pushes me to keep up my speed; outside I would tend to slack off towards the end. I have two workouts that I do on alternating weeks.

workout #1
    warm up (5-10min @ 6.2)
    run 25 sec at 8.2, jog 35 sec at 6.2
    run 25 sec at 9.2, jog 35 sec at 6.2
    run 25 sec at 10.2, jog 35 sec at 6.2
    walk 1 min
    repeat 5x
    cool down 5 min @ 3.5
    However, with the transition speed on the treadmill it really works out more like transition 5 sec, run 25 sec, transtition 5 sec, jog 30 sec.

Workout #2
    warm up 5-10min @ 6.2
    run 20 sec @ 9.5, rest 10 seconds (jump onto the sides)
    repeat 8x
    walk 1 min
    run 20 sec @9.5, rest 10 seconds
    repeat 8x
    walk 1 min
    repeat 8x
    cool down 5-10 min @6.2 gradually decreasing to 3.5

If anyone has anyother treadmill workouts, I'd love to try something new.
  • Carrie3B
    Options
    I do my speedwork on the treadmill (not sure if it's technically HIT). It's more convenient than going to a track, and honestly it pushes me to keep up my speed; outside I would tend to slack off towards the end. I have two workouts that I do on alternating weeks.

workout #1
    warm up (5-10min @ 6.2)
    run 25 sec at 8.2, jog 35 sec at 6.2
    run 25 sec at 9.2, jog 35 sec at 6.2
    run 25 sec at 10.2, jog 35 sec at 6.2
    walk 1 min
    repeat 5x
    cool down 5 min @ 3.5
    However, with the transition speed on the treadmill it really works out more like transition 5 sec, run 25 sec, transtition 5 sec, jog 30 sec.

Workout #2
    warm up 5-10min @ 6.2
    run 20 sec @ 9.5, rest 10 seconds (jump onto the sides)
    repeat 8x
    walk 1 min
    repeat 8x
    walk 1 min
    repeat 8x
    cool down 5-10 min @6.2 gradually decreasing to 3.5

If anyone has anyother treadmill workouts, I'd love to try something new.

I like that--but my little legs may shoot me off the TM at 10.2 LOL! I've also done the following but not sure it's technically a HIIT since I'm not slowing but it kicked my butt:

Warm up half mile
    1 min @ 6.0
    1 min @ 7.0
    1 min @ 8.0
    1 min @ 9.0

Start over and do 4 times but on the last time do one min at 10.0 (yup, that's a killer). I could only do the 10.0 for 30 seconds. :-)