Do you still eat what you want ....

Options
Do you still eat what you want (within reason) but stay within your daily calories and exercise?
Or have you changed your lifestyle completely??

Obviously Im not talking about fast food daily and that sort of thing ...

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Yes. If it fits into my macros, I eat it. Sometimes I eat it even if it doesn't! :wink:
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    If I am craving something for more than 3 days, I eat it, but I always exercise and stay within my calories. I also do my best when I do that to only have one serving, otherwise I'd sit down with a bag of molton hot wing potato chips and eat the whole bag...yeah...been there, done that.
  • Rhodium1976
    Rhodium1976 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes. If it fits into my macros, I eat it. Sometimes I eat it even if it doesn't! :wink:

Same here.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    pretty much. i snack on a small 3/4 cup of frosted flakes, i calculate in dinners out, things like that. i've stalled for a month now after losing 32 pounds though...so i might have to try eating clean for a bit.
  • jvrichards
    Options

Same here.

Yep. What they said. IIFYM for life.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I try to go for healthier options most of the time, but if there's something I want, I don't deny myself. I still eat my regular "meat and potatoes" type of dinners. I'm not about to make a separate dinner for me, or make my family eat more according to my calorie goal. I just adjust what I eat throughout the day based on what's for dinner. I have gotten myself out of bad habits that I had before MFP. Like everytime I went to the grocery store I would always get a 20oz bottle of soda and a candy bar at check-out. I can't remember the last time I did that now!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    My eating was terrible before. Soda, candy, pizza, processed crap every night. I've done a complete overhaul. Generally, I will eat super well during the week. I allow myself a cheat meal on the weekend but if I'm craving something else on the weekend outside of my cheat meal I will work it into my daily calories. This works for me.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want within reason.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Yes, to an extent. I've found over the course of losing weight that "what I want" has actually changed, though.

But to start out, it's perfectly acceptable to eat your current foods and get your calories under control and get your water intake up if it isn't there already.

You'll find this to be hard unless you were already eating pretty good quality food, so you'll find that you then start to adjust your proteins, fat, and carbohydrates to be in balance, which makes you less hungry and more energetic.

Then, when you are actually using food effectively to feed your body, you'll find that your desires for food start slowly aligning to things that your body actually needs, rather than things that your tastebuds want.

And get lots of nice sweaty exercise in, because as the weight comes down you'll start to find that everything is easier, you are capable of so many things, and that will encourage you to do more things. And your body and you will really start to talk to each other properly.

Do it right, and in a couple of months you'll be looking at a plate of delicious, wholesome food that represents a calorie deficit, and thinking to yourself, "how in the name of all that is holy am I going to be able to EAT ALL THAT?"

That's the moment you know it all worked.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I do!! If I didn't, I don't think I could stick to this lifestyle. I plan my day out so I know if I can work certain foods into my calorie intake. I get 1260 calories a day....but I still will have pizza, ice cream etc. I also eat out alot in the summer but I still manage to fit it in....I look restaurant info up ahead of time so I know what I can order, and stick to it. :) Don't deprive yourself or you'll go nuts. I've done that on past diets and I failed.
    This time I look at it differently, I have portion control now and eat things in moderation. I've lost 50 lbs in 6 months with this outlook :) Good luck!!
  • RES2333
    RES2333 Posts: 36
    Options
    Yes, I do. I may not eat as much as I want, but I do not completely ban out the things that I truly enjoy eating. I just don't do it everyday. For the most part as of late I let myself enjoy things during the weekend and then try to eat healhier during the week.

I do try to keep portion control in mind or make choices to keep things from getting out of control. If I know I am going to eat fast food then the prior meal or snack will be healthier or smaller. I skip the large or supersized and try to pay attention to when I feel full and not just eat for the sake of eating.

Food is comforting. I mean we all grew up liking certain things, who wants to completely give up on that and say no I can't eat that anymore? I think it is ok, but moderation is the key.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I do still eat what I want. But I am learning that the first initial impulse is not really the same as wanting. I do look at the calories and then decide if I really want it.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Within reason ...... if I really want something, I plan for it ...... a hotdog & chips at a game ..... pizza on a "date" with my husband ..... might have to do extra cardio that day :drinker:
  • angeeishere
    angeeishere Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If I am craving something for more than 3 days, I eat it, but I always exercise and stay within my calories. I also do my best when I do that to only have one serving, otherwise I'd sit down with a bag of molton hot wing potato chips and eat the whole bag...yeah...been there, done that.

I do the very same thing, if I didn't give in once and while I'd totally blow it and then feel terrible about myself.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want as this is a change of eating habits not a diet for me so everything is within moderation.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I try to eat really healthy, but on occasion, I still eat what I want and even indulge in a cocktail or two, as well as an occasional burger, fries, pizza, etc... I haven't eliminated anything totally from my diet, for me that's a failure ready to happen, but I don't make a habit of it like I used to. I may not be losing as fast as I'd like, but I'm not in a race.. this is for the rest of my life... and in six months I've lost over 50 lbs. It's about balance and exercise.
  • b_fit4life
    b_fit4life Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If i deny myself anything or try to avoid it completely...i will fail. So yeah, I eat what I want (in smaller quantities than I used to) and I keep a close eye on cals. Most times, if I don't have the calories left in my "budget" for the day, I pass until another day. But if the last several days have been really strong, I let myself go over on calories for the special treat.

Also, this is a life change for me. The reason I got to be 215 pounds was that I indulged my every craving! So I can't ever go back to that. But I'm not going to be miserable either. I plan to enjoy life with food rather than fighting against it!
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat EVERYTHING what I want but I COUNT THOSE CALORIES.
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I have eaten things I want. I keep it within my calories. I've had pizza, tacos, bite of peach ice cream, ect. I watch what I eat when we go out. But I do enjoy some things just not as much of it.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. So I won't feel deprived and then binge. I am allowing myself to enjoy this journey. So much so that I beat myself up If I dont workout, and miss it if I skip a day.