Do you still eat what you want ....

Options
2»

Replies

• NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Almost everything I want. I guess a better way to put it is: better choices. If I want something sweet, I've been having homemade strawberry shortcake. It's far few calories than my heart's desire- a banana split. :ohwell:
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yes, pretty much eat anything I want. Its generally a question of how much now.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Absolutely but I try to do it strategically. I save higher calorie foods for exercise days so that I am still within my calorie goals.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Both!

First, if I go out for Chinese, I ask for a to go box and place 2/3 or 1/2 in the box and eat the rest.
    But, Ive also developed a taste for homemade recipes, mainly from vegan sites, and make them for my wife and modify the recipe with an appropriate meat for myself and my daughter.
    I drink more water with crystals instead of juices or sodas.

Oh, and exercise has become a daily necessity.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I do still eat goodies, but within reason, and I've memorized all the serving sizes on my favorites. :smile: And a lot of times I'll find myself saying it's not worth the calories! That never used to happen! Sometimes I'll eat just a few of something, too - like my favorite Pop Chips - about 20 chips is a serving, but I'll pull 5 chips out of the bag, enjoy 'em, log 1/4 of a serving and I'm happy.

I guess I just consider my choices more carefully now, and can't recall a day where I felt like I went overboard or blew it, you know?
  • pferde01
    pferde01 Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm trying to change the way I eat but in a realistic way, so complete overhaul isn't the way I'm going.

I have tried to be more generally mindful of how I'm feeling before I eat something, immediately after then a few hours after. Doing that I have identified some foods that don't at all fill me up and make me crave worse, so "treating myself" to a cookie is actually "sabotaging myself" for the rest of the afternoon. Why make things harder for myself lol? I find that mindset really helpful, so it doesn't feel like I'm denying myself.
  • Ekoria
    Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yup if I want to spend my whole 1200 kcal on chocolate I will do. I know it's not good for me but it still seems to work (and before any one jumps on me with the "you may lose weight on the outside but you will still be fat on the inside" spiel I am aware it isn't right, it's just what I do!)
  • barbaratracy
    Options
    eat what you want but control the serving size....I personally have certain trigger foods that I know I cant have such as milkduds. I have trouble eating just a handful, I have to eat the entire jumbo size box:wink: . Everyone is different if You can get away with eating a reasonable portion size then that may work for you. Also I wouldnt eat what ever you want every day, this could lead to bad overall nutrition. I'm not an expert just my opion.
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Initially I have just cut portions to fit within my daily calorie count. But I have cut out all fast food. I have alot of weight to lose so I am taking it in steps. Once my transformation is complete I would like to have a total lifestyle change to include my family. They are the reasons for me making the transition slowly as my wife and 2 children wouldn't eat a veggie if you bribed them with a Wii gaming system and a television to put in their rooms. Yes I tried this and both of my kids said no.
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat what I'd like. Over the past year and a half I have changed my lifestyle quite a bit so the things I use to crave, I don't anymore (not as much anyway)! If there is something I really really want and I feel that it is a bad choice...I eat it anyway. I have learned that I will eat everything in the house trying to satisfy the craving then end up eating what I wanted in the first place!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I do on occasion eat things that make my nutritional goals for that day a challenge. I have the option to add extra exercise to cover if I need to and I don't have to have a giant slice of cake to enjoy it, I can instead take human bites.

That being said, we (My wife and I) are decent cooks and we can make food that is not nutritionally challenging and it tastes awesome. If we make something that is too calorie dense, well then it's extra exercise.

Hell, I went for an hour and a half run and kept my breakfast & lunch light a couple of fridays ago so I would have calories for a pub crawl. I even had some peking dumplings at the scorpion bowl place.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
    Great thread
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I certainly have changed my eating habits since actually paying attention and logging everything. I don't eat nearly as much as I used to, and I have changed the foods I eat as well. I don't eat a lot of crackers/salty snacks anymore and I've increased my fruits and veggies. I'll get whole wheat instead of white usually.

That being said, I don't feel guilty about indulging in an "unhealthy" food. So long as it doesn't put me over, I'll enjoy it. As I continue with this lifestyle, that mindset might change, but I don't like the idea of denying something that I like simply because it's unhealthy. Moderation in everything.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Great input/responses :) thanks
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I had a chocolate chip cookie this afternoon. I still have loads of calories left for dinner.