Calcium!

Options
Exill
Exill Posts: 155 Member
I'm having a hard time getting enough calcium. Every day I'm very low. I don't eat dairy (though supposedly calcium from dairy has a negative effect anyway*), I do eat beans and green vegetables, but there's no way I can seem to eat enough of them to get... enough! I do take a multi-vitamin, but I don't know if that's being absorbed properly. I even picked up some blackstrap molasses because it's so high in calcium, but... ugh, so bitter (obviously)!

I also just checked my iron and I'm low on that too, though not as bad as calcium. It sucks that I have no way of knowing how things are going inside my body because I feel ok, but I don't want to just break down some day and have everyone be like, "Poor girl, if only she had more calcium!" /mourn, weep

* http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Some of the milk substitutes like coconut or almond milk have calcium added, or just take a calcium supplement,
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    It sounds like through the mulit-vitamin and diet you are ingesting enough calcium, but your body isnt absorbing it properly. Try switching to a different multi, sometimes certain supplement combinations just dont agree with you
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    - Seafood (especially sardines)
    - Nuts and seeds (sesame, chia, and almonds have the most)
    - Some fruits, like apricots and figs (dried have more)
    - Soy products
  • Exill
    Options
    yarwell: I do drink almond milk, but I'd need to drink a lot more to meet my daily needs in my diary.

dr3wman: I have no idea what my levels actually are, I'm just going by my food diary. I'm just assuming the multi-vitamin is making up for the rest, but I know some things don't absorb if not taken properly or with the right foods. I'd rather know I'm eating enough calcium rich foods.

kasebrad: Thanks, I'll try eating more nuts/seeds. I used to eat sardines when I was younger, but they kind of turn me off now. I do love seafood, though!
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You can input your multi-vitamin in your diary just like a regular food item. Then you will be able to see what your "actual" levels of nutrients are. I do it daily.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    kasebrad has it right for some of the foods you want. But if you're allergic to soy, like me, you want to stay away from that. But what is missing from that list is dark green leafy vegetables. Spinach, kale, collard greens, etc. And broccoli has a good amount, too.

But even eating these things, my osteoporosis risk means I do better with supplementation.

If you take a calcium supplement, be sure to take vitamin D3 as well to maximize absorption. Don't take your calcium supplement at the same time as your multivitamin, because the iron in a women's multi will interfere with the calcium absorption. Calcium citrate or another supplement that contains magnesium will also be better for absorption.

Be sure to log the vitamins you take. Then you can get a better view of what you're getting.

And if you take a supplement, be sure to drink plenty of water and eat good high fiber foods. Too much calcium can cause kidney stones and constipation.

Good luck!
  • HeathArrow478
    Options
    Take a calcium supplement with vitamin D which helps with absorption. I'm 34 and my doc said that I should be taking 1200 mg a day on top of what I eat because of my age. I got a 30 day supply (2 horse pills a day) from Target for $5.

18379992.png
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I struggle too - I get all my other nutrients naturally, but I'm nowhere near with calcium.

I just take a supplement; coral calcium which is supposedly easily absorbed and comes in capsules which are easier to swallow than the great rocks other calcium supplements come as!
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have to watch calcium too...Kale is an excellent source that is often overlooked...Also...you might want to make sure that you are also getting vitamin D3 in your multivitamin...The body needs this vitamin to help it absorb calcium.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C helps absorb calcium.
    Iron makes it harder to absorb calcium.

Maybe you should drink OJ with your multivitamin or make a green smoothie from spinach and vit. C rich fruit.
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have similar concerns in regards to calcium and iron deficiencies. I'm lactose intolerant and to address the calcium issue, I take a Viactiv +D supplement per my doctor's recommendation.) As for iron, I've not had much success with supplements, so I eat lot of dark greens (e.g. kale, spinach), oysters and every once in a while, liver. I should mention that I'm not a vegetarian, so I eat red meat once a week. On that last score, I have no doubt people will argue about the efficacy of meat and iron intake; but it works for me :-)
  • Exill
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! I had no idea I could log my multi-vitamin. And the info to take Vitamin D is very helpful. Will make more of a conscious effort to eat lots of greens and seafood. :)

Edit: Well, adding my prenatal vitamin certainly helped with my iron intake! But it's low in calcium.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    Well, adding my prenatal vitamin certainly helped with my iron intake! But it's low in calcium.

They may do that on purpose because high iron impedes calcium absorption. You should take additional supplementation for calcium, and make sure it's at a different time of day.
  • xaipete
    xaipete Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There are two main sorts of calcium supplements. Calcium carbonate, the cheaper one, is absorbed best if taken with food. Calcium citrate, the more expensive, is better if your schedule doesn't let you take it with food. And, as people have said, be sure there's vitamin D with them. The medical column in the newspaper when I was a kid referred to the combination as "candy", that is, Ca and D.
    As for the iron -- have you tried cooking regularly in cast iron? Supposedly some of the iron leaches out into your food. And if it's well-seasoned it's almost non-stick, so it won't make you pile on the fat calories! Also, there are some foods that help iron absorption (OJ), but also some that hinder it. Tea is one, and in this weather remember that includes iced tea!
  • Exill
    Options
    Well, I don't drink any kind of tea, but I also don't drink orange juice. I can't really do citrus, makes me sick. I love that way of remembering Calcium/VitD as "candy". Thanks for the info on the different kinds of supplements, and the cast iron too!