The inches are falling .... not losing the weight...?

Options
sonika86
sonika86 Posts: 12 Member
Hi All... we i am happy I am eating right and losing the inches, however the weight is not shifting?!

Replies

• mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    What type of exercise are you doing? I know quite a few people who lose inches but not lbs because they're building muscle mass but losing fat. For me losing the inches and looking better along with my overall fitness is more important than how much I actually weigh.
  • sonika86
    Options
    Hiya

I am on the cross trainer 5 times a week and doing the 30dshred 4 times a week.
  • akelley15
    akelley15 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The weight will come, just be patient. I have months where I only lose inches, but then lose weight. Start testing your body fat percentage, so you will know how much of your weight is fat and how much is muscle. I like doing this, because if the scale doesn't move I still know I have lost fat!!
  • priepen
    priepen Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat with you have been doing Turbo Fire for 8 weeks lost a total of 8lbs but a lot more inches. Keep up the good work and maybe just stay away from the scale for awhile.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hi All... we i am happy I am eating right and losing the inches, however the weight is not shifting?!
    Actually, that's EXACTLY what's happening! The weight is SHIFTING from fat to muscle. If you're losing inches, you're losing fat. Make sure you're eating your macros and within your calories, and you'll find the weight start to melt off.

Congrats on making a healthy change!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I think inches are more important than pounds! Let me tell you a story...

Yesterday I went closet diving to find a new inspiration outfit--my old one started fitting about a month ago. In the closet I found my Atkins Journal from 8 years ago.

age 29 ***** age 37
    size: tight 14 ***** Size tight 14/ loose 16
    weight 174 **** weight 207
    chest 38 ***** chest 40
    waist 37 ***** waist 40.5
    hips 42 ***** hips 42
    thigh 24 ****** thigh 23.5

yep, that's right, right now I am 35 pounds heavier, but my waist and chest measurements are the ONLY measurement that is different! By the time I get down to that 174 pound mark, I may be in a size 10!
  • ssaldana05
    ssaldana05 Posts: 14
    Options
    I am in the same boat with you have been doing Turbo Fire for 8 weeks lost a total of 8lbs but a lot more inches. Keep up the good work and maybe just stay away from the scale for awhile.

I stayed away from the scale because that is exactly what was happening to me. I figured I stay away because it was getting me so frustrated and doubtful. But clothes are fitting better!
  • sonika86
    Options
    oh wow
  • sonika86
    Options
    Oh wow
    I think inches are more important than pounds! Let me tell you a story...

Yesterday I went closet diving to find a new inspiration outfit--my old one started fitting about a month ago. In the closet I found my Atkins Journal from 8 years ago.

age 29 ***** age 37
    size: tight 14 ***** Size tight 14/ loose 16
    weight 174 **** weight 207
    chest 38 ***** chest 40
    waist 37 ***** waist 40.5
    hips 42 ***** hips 42
    thigh 24 ****** thigh 23.5

yep, that's right, right now I am 35 pounds heavier, but my waist and chest measurements are the ONLY measurement that is different! By the time I get down to that 174 pound mark, I may be in a size 10!
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Be patient, the weight will start to come off as well :)
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Lost inches no weight so I can relate... I've listen to everyone who says be patient so....
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Muscle is smaller and more dense than fat - you're building muscle. That's a good thing!

This is one of my favourite reminders that the scale is not always the best way to measure:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

You're doing AWESOME. Keep it up.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Scales are bad. Check your measurements weekly and have a tight outfit you try on each week to see if there's a difference in how it fits. I do the jeans test with my size 6's which used to fit perfectly and now just about strangle me.
  • Lalala_Liz
    Lalala_Liz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Another thing you can try is taking pictures! Some people do every week, every few weeks, or I do every month.

Numbers are great, but I always find it so motivating when you see progress pictures where not a lot of weight has been lost but you can really SEE such a difference in the pictures because of all the lost inches.

Especially when you look at yourself everyday it can be hard to see the progress you're really making, so pictures can definitely be very helpful.
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have been having a huge issue with this. To me it makes no sense..

So I started wearing a size 18 pants. Now im a lose 16 (still have set to go shopping because i refuse to go shopping until I hit ONEDERLAND...which sucks because its SOOOO hot to be carrying around all the extra material in my clothes).

I know I am getting stronger, and I feel like I'm losing inches (although I've never measured)...because before I was an XL now I'm a L...I used to be 18 now I'm leaning closer and closer towards a 14...but the scale hasnt moved in months. I would at least like to be in onederland it is SOOOOOOO frustrating and I'm getting unmotivated like crazy.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.
  • rwisner
    rwisner Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Same here. Scale hasnt moved in 5 weeks now but dropping inches. Clothes fitting MUCH better. I'm trying to stay positive and stay AWAY from the scale but its so hard! I dont know why that number is so important to us?!?!?
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I did not lose weight for over 2 months but was losing a half inch to an inch a week. Then the weight slowly followed after that.
  • goldilocks509
    goldilocks509 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    how do you test your fat percentage?
    The weight will come, just be patient. I have months where I only lose inches, but then lose weight. Start testing your body fat percentage, so you will know how much of your weight is fat and how much is muscle. I like doing this, because if the scale doesn't move I still know I have lost fat!!
  • aleshai
    aleshai Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am really glad to read this post!! I am starting to see some looseness in my clothes and bra (sigh, why do the boobs go first??? why???) lol, but not much loss on the scale. I am going to keep working out and shrinking, darn it!! Eventually that stupid scale will move.

Best of luck to all of you!!
  • UnstopableMother
    UnstopableMother Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with other people's post the weight loss will fallow but it is discouraging I know i often get stuck on the scale numbers too. I would suggest you double check your diet to see if you need to make any changes not to say anything is wrong with your diet as i don't know what it is but different diets work different for different people, you got to find out by trial and error what works for you.

But I did find that switching up the exercise routine helps me allot so try to do a different exercise for a change and change exercises every other day or so.

Also I had heard that exercising in the morning before you eat anything burns more fat instead of just the food you just ate and it keeps burning calories all day, if been trying that and it has made a huge difference for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!