When will it really start becoming noticeable?

Options
I have lost exactly 14 pounds as of my Weight Watchers weigh-in today. I started off at 357 and now I am at 343. I completely understand the fact that because I am so large at just 6' 0" that it will be while before my weight loss becomes noticeable. But how much more weight will I need to lose before it DOES become noticeable?

Replies

• konalove3
    konalove3 Posts: 79
    Options
    i highly suggest taking your measurements. waist, hips, thighs, chest, neck and biceps. then check back every 2-4 weeks. it makes things more "visible" and you'll feel more motivated. also take an article of clothing that is snug and try it on periodically as the weeks go by. I find these two things really help you "notice" the weight loss better than just looking at yourself in the mirror, cuz you see yourself everyday! :wink: good luck! and congrats on the 14lbs dropped!!
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    For me, about a month (about 15 lbs). But really, it wasn't until I seriously stepped up my weight lifting that i've started really dropping inches. My first month I dropped about 1" per measurement (Chest, thighs, waist, etc). After starting focusing more on lifting, I re-measured after 2 weeks and I dropped an additional 2 more inches.

So if you are really looking to shed some inches, add a good weight lifting routine, you will start to see a huge difference!
  • jackie28246
    Options
    It took almost 25 lbs for me to start getting comments from friends, family and co workers. Stick with it everyone is different!
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I started at 340lbs, People noticed at about 270 lbs.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I would measure.

I also use clothes I cant fit into as markers also. I have my "want into it" shirt and try it on once a month and a pair of jeans.
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Take monthly pictures! You will see differences in those that you normally would not catch! :)
  • mlhandsmp
    mlhandsmp Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Took me almost 30lbs before ppl started noticing, and about 25 before I could even feel it in my jeans. I'm @ 40 lbs now and some ppl still don't even notice.....BUT I'M GONNA CHANGE THAT! :)
  • definitelyval
    definitelyval Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have the exact opposite problem - two months of busting my but with good eating and working out - first month I gained 7, now I'm down 4.2. :grumble: :explode: However the inches are falling off...right along with all of my pants, LOL! It will come for you...just give it time, keep working hard, and make the small tweaks when you need to...you're doing awesome!!! :flowerforyou:
  • taziwac
    taziwac Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Definitely start periodically taking measurements and not just focusing on the scale. That is especially true if workouts are a part of your regimen, since the muscle you will be building will weigh more than the fat you will be losing.

I started at 320lbs back in April, and without telling anyone around me (except my doc and girlfriend), I started eating better, walking regularly and exercising. People noticed the first 20 lbs once they came off, but I didn't really see or feel much of a difference in myself. I was mostly focused on the fact that I was usually, kinda hungry, kinda tired and kinda sore. The exact opposite has been true of the second 20lbs! My clothes are fitting better, the aches and pains are gone (especially those related to being heavy as opposed to those related to exertion), and I can see the difference when I look in the mirror - but I've gotten significantly fewer comments from others.

As a matter of fact, it kind of put me off when I first started and people were commenting because there was a part of me that felt like, "If they notice the weight loss, they will notice if I ever gain it back too." The further I've gotten into this journey, the less what other people think matters to me and at this point, whether they notice and/or comment is neither here nor there. I can see and feel what's happening to me, and that's all that matters.
  • terpsoccer
    terpsoccer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It usually takes about 10% loss from your start weight for other people to begin to ask "did you get a haircut" or start noticing that you've changed.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I started at 309 (I'm 5' 4 3/4"). At this point I don't see it, but my coworkers claim to see it in my face. But I can FEEL it, at the top of the insides of my thighs. They don't rub together as much. And on my shirts (the tops of the sleeves aren't as tight. So just stay aware of little things like that. You'll be surprised.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It took 15 or so lbs before other people were pointing it out, but it was 20 or so lbs before I really started taking notice of it. At 37 lbs down (from even before MFP, but since the end of January), I have to try hard to point out the good and not the little flaws I still see. I have way less to goal now than when I started.
  • doriyoung
    doriyoung Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My friends and I had this exact conversation about a month ago. We all noticed two things. It was around 10 pounds that we noticed our clothes fitting differently. :smile: It was around 18-20 pounds that other people starting asking "Are you losing weight?":happy:

I have to continuously remind myself that my body is the first to notice a difference and that's the most important change.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    As a matter of fact, it kind of put me off when I first started and people were commenting because there was a part of me that felt like, "If they notice the weight loss, they will notice if I ever gain it back too." The further I've gotten into this journey, the less what other people think matters to me and at this point, whether they notice and/or comment is neither here nor there. I can see and feel what's happening to me, and that's all that matters.

This is so true. And so smart. I'm not even doing this to look better. I'm doing this to feel more steady on my feet. More capable of DOING things I really want to do. Getting off meds that I can so the few I'll always have to take don't seem like a burden.

Good luck to all of you (and me!).
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on each person and how they carry their weight. You should have been able to notice a difference in your face at least (it normally comes off their first). My experience however was that it wasn't very noticeable until I lost about 60ish pounds. At that point my shape started to change. At my 100ish mark it was REALLY obvious because my inches finally started catching up with the weight numbers. I skipped a bunch of sizes so it seemed pretty dramatic.

I will also say that I was one of the last people to notice the changes. I just couldn't see it. I think it was because on a day to day basis the change is so slight that I just got used to it. I was very happy the day I didn't recognize my reflection in a window :D

Great job so far!
  • ValTheRizzle
    ValTheRizzle Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am there with you. I've lost just over 30 and while everyone says I look "so much thinner"... I am in the same sized pants I was when I started! Yes, they don't feel as tight, but I figueed 30 pounds would change something! Haha. It's different for everyone and don't let it discourage you! Measuring yourself is also a good advice, one I have yet to take myself.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have lost 34 lbs since January 2, 2012 and I just now have people asking have I lost weight. I do wear scrubs to work so it takes a little longer to notice but I could tell MUCH earlier (at like 10-15lbs) in how my clothes fit! I have not gone down many pant sizes but my shirts fit sooo much better. A lot of people say my face is thinner.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a similiar thread the other day and her weight was in the high 200s. My guess is people won't see a difference until after 50 lbs but your clothes should loosen up and you will see that.
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My SW was 395 and I've been as low as ~330 and still wore the same size clothes. I have taken measurements and that definitely helped me to see where the weight was coming off - mainly around my neck and chest. The majority of people I've encountered say people noticed and they went down clothing sizes after getting under 300. Keep up the good work!
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Because I looked in the mirror every day, there wasn't a lot of "noticeable" changes that I could track. Then I looked at a picture of the "fat" me at one point and I could see a huge weight loss in my face. After that my clothes started getting baggy, then lose, then falling off. It really became apparent when I tried on a suit that I had bought for interviews at my high weight. It looked like I had put on my dad's suit by mistake (the thing was way way too large for me). From that point on it became very noticeable because I was looking for the changes. Now my abs are starting to show definition, which is a huge thing for me.