Post menopausal and antidepressents now need friends

Options
When I first went through menopause I went from 145 to 208. I stayed heavy for about 2 years. I fought my way back down to 125 which was way to thin, but I liked my weight at 135 to 140.

I had a major live change, lost a business that I loved during the economy crash and went into a 3 year depression. and gained weight to 185. All that previous hard work down the drain. oh well, at least I know it can be done.

Two months ago I was hospitalized and made the decision to get healthy again. I quit smoking (43 years of that bad habit) I was prescribe an antidepressent medication that seems to be working well for me but is suppose to add weight. So between the non smoking and antidepressents I have significantly lowered my metabolism. I can not afford to gain anymore weight so I have to change that metabolism by exercising and making better food choices.

I would love to share inspirations and discussions with others out there who are fighting the battle!

Jan

Replies

• Carmendu
    Carmendu Posts: 409
    Options
    Sounds like you are on th eright track. I have to fight and fight hard to keep my weight off. Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You and I have a lot of similiarities. We lost our family business nearly 6 years ago and I have not been able to find gainful employment since. During that time, I quit smoking and put on about 60 unneeded and unwanted pounds. This past April, I finally decided to get myself healthy again and joined MFP. Feel free to "friend" me if you would like and I will do my best to support and encourage you on this journey.
  • blazingbabe
    blazingbabe Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi Janrarey,
    I understand the sadness and frustration that one goes through with menopause and the every day of living. You are on your way already by joining MFP. Although, I haven't lost as much weight as I would have wanted. I still know that if I keep on exercising, watching what I eat and making myself accountable by using MFP, eventually I will get to the place I want to be. A happy and much thinner woman then I was before I joined MFP.
    Please feel free to friend me. We both can encourage and support our journey.
  • DeniseK66
    DeniseK66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am going through menopause now and I have gained 20 pounds since last September. I am doing everything right but can't seem to make the scales move. Maybe you can give me some tips.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hey! First off, you've been through some c**p and you're still standing so you should be really proud of yourself for that! It is hard to start again and again but you can absolutely do it. I haven't been through menopause yet so I can't compare but I can feel for you on the business side and the anti depressants. Our family business went bankrupt a few years ago and we had to start over. It was hard but we got there.

I've been on and off anti depressants for years and I gained soo much weight so I decided to try pilates and meditation. I know it sounds cheesy but it really can help. By doing that I've been able to significantly reduce the amount of medication I'm on thereby helping myself with the weight loss. As you lose weight you also begin to feel better about yourself which helps combat the depression. It's not easy, but if you're committed and focused you can get there. It's worth a try at least and the pilates is good exercise in itself. I hope you get where you want to be. Good luck!