Trying to stay positive...but sometimes it's so hard!

Options
I weighed in this morning... I know it hasn't been a complete week, but I wanted to see what it was before we go out of town this weekend. At first I had a .5 loss... I was trying to stay positive and say well it's better than nothing. Well, when I got home from the gym I just wanted to try one more time.... I fixed the scale and made sure it was only on one tile so it was level--sure enough it was still at 282.2 same place as Monday morning. I have worked out seven times since then and stayed under my calories... I know Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm not giving up...but I would at least liked to see some CHANGE... I mean I have been kicking butt at the gym!! Sorry I had to do a little venty vent... on a positive note I didn't gain-- but man it's hard to stay positive right now!

Replies

• AMyersPT
    AMyersPT Posts: 1
    Options
    I always myself first thing in the morning! I've found that if i weigh myself after a workout the scale goes up. I know it sucks when it doesn't happen fast but keep it up!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary public? I only weigh myself first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    I think weighing in every day and using a tool like the hacker diet online of physics diet online to see trends is more motivating. It gets you used to fluctuations up and down and as long as you have more points below the line than above you are losing weight!
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Remember by throwing your body into something new its repairing muscles and retaining water to help do that...
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates daily. What you saw was a fluctuation due to water weight. You can weighone thing and then another in a matter of hours. Only weigh once a day, IF that. It would be better to pick a day in the week and then weigh that day every week. That way you avoid the daily fluctuation frustrations that you are experiencing now.
  • babygreen11
    Options
    I weighed in this morning... I know it hasn't been a complete week, but I wanted to see what it was before we go out of town this weekend. At first I had a .5 loss... I was trying to stay positive and say well it's better than nothing. Well, when I got home from the gym I just wanted to try one more time.... I fixed the scale and made sure it was only on one tile so it was level--sure enough it was still at 282.2 same place as Monday morning. I have worked out seven times since then and stayed under my calories... I know Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm not giving up...but I would at least liked to see some CHANGE... I mean I have been kicking butt at the gym!! Sorry I had to do a little venty vent... on a positive note I didn't gain-- but man it's hard to stay positive right now!

Have you checked your measurements? Those are the numbers I have noticed people see the big difference with. Its very hard to stay positive when you feel like you have been working your butt off but the numbers arent going down. It will happen. Just stay with it.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I understand completely....I am there! I think my problem may be my muscles retaining water to repair themselves because I have ran everyday this week and my scale is STUCK!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    your muscles retain water after working out. Try measuring instead of weighing especially if it's been less than a week.
  • sphair81
    sphair81 Posts: 5
    Options
    It could depend on what you are doing at the gym. Muscles swell and that can account for no weight loss or even being heavier. I have experienced this even after a tough cardio routine. I do zumba 2x a week. I know the first week I did it, I lost no weight, but I lost 1/2 inch in my waist. In the first week, water weight can account for so much. Stay positive and keep going no matter what. If you keep steady, you will see results. And it may be that you are not eating enough. If you are burning tons of calories, but not eating enough to replenish your system, your body will hold on to what you do have. Hope this helps. Please message me if you need someone to talk to :)
  • Maya129
    Maya129 Posts: 3
    Options
    Don't worry, that means your weight probably did change! I'm assuming you probably drank water while you were working out; so anything you lost in fat was probably replaced by the weight of the water you've drunk. I bet if you tried again tomorrow morning the number would look better. And don't forget, 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat, but it looks a heck of a lot better. :-) Be patient, and if you get frustrated by the lack of scale movement, try to focus instead on how much better your body FEELS when you use it. 7 workouts in a week is fantastic, and I bet that hard work is paying off for you in lots of ways off the scale too!
  • stayingpositive100
    Options
    Can you make your diary public? I only weigh myself first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

I made my diary public.

I am planning on only weighing myself once a week...but since we are going out of town this weekend I just wanted to have a sneak peek before I weigh in next Monday. I weigh in first thing in the morning too...but I just wanted to see if there would be a difference after going to the gym for 65 minutes of cardio. I'm not giving up... just frustrated a little bit!
  • Criolla80
    Criolla80 Posts: 14
    Options
    Sometimes, weighing yourself daily will negate any sort of progress you've made. You start to beat yourself up more and pay less attention to the way you feel and the way your clothes fit. Fitness isn't always about the number and I am sure you've noticed positive changes in yourself but you concentrate more on the number.

Take a week off of weighing yourself and just eat right. You'll feel a lot better!
  • babygreen11
    Options

I made my diary public.

I am planning on only weighing myself once a week...but since we are going out of town this weekend I just wanted to have a sneak peek before I weigh in next Monday. I weigh in first thing in the morning too...but I just wanted to see if there would be a difference after going to the gym for 65 minutes of cardio. I'm not giving up... just frustrated a little bit!

Defiantly just weight yourself once a week. Set one day for it. Weighing myself was my biggest problem. Now I do it once maybe 2 a week.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Umm..you just started on Monday???
  • consumone
    consumone Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Remember if you do not eat all your calories your body goes into survivor mode and you will not lose, I know this only two well because I have a hard time forcing myself to eat all my calories.

Hang in their!! We can do this together.

Connie
  • stayingpositive100
    Options
    Umm..you just started on Monday???

I know that... but I was hoping to see like at least an once or something less-- I have been working out more than I have ever doing some days 2 hours at the gym. I wasn't going to weigh myself until this coming Monday, but I am going out of town for the weekend and just wanted to see. I am not throwing in the tall just wishing for a little something something.
  • stayingpositive100
    Options
    Remember if you do not eat all your calories your body goes into survivor mode and you will not lose, I know this only two well because I have a hard time forcing myself to eat all my calories.

Hang in their!! We can do this together.

Connie

I am trying to eat them back, but man it's hard. I am not starving myself by no means. I have just been eating when I am hungry, but sometimes after working out in the morning I am not hungry so I have been making myself have breakfast....if not I would be even lower on the calories. I also have been drinking a lot of water so sometimes I am not as hungry between meals because of that.
  • annemdel
    annemdel Posts: 1
    Options
    I just started on Monday too. When the scale doesn't validate your efforts, it's discouraging, I know. But you need to validate yourself to get through the feelings of defeat/discouragement. You're taking better care of yourself, doing something very positive and healthy, moving in the right direction, going through the tough feelings without eating to soothe. Yea for you, yea for me, yea for all of us!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Fruit alone isn't enough for breakfast.

What is Hill Country Fare - Apple Cinnamon Toasted Oats? cereal? oatmeal? It has a lot of sugar in it. I think that has to be replaced with something else.

Maybe no Doritos, Chick-Fil-A, and Oreo Creme Pie? That is why I think you lost no weight. If your husband is eating chips or pie, you can have a couple chips and one spoonful of the pie.
  • ivyslocum
    ivyslocum Posts: 21
    Options
    Ok I know we have all heard it but...... Muscle weighs more than fat by inch.

also, got this off of someone's MFP post one time but it is very true.....

Kitchen scales are more implortan than bathroom scales.:happy:

Same time of day weigh ins are best, it doens't have to be first of the day but just same time of day (after same activities)