Why is the scale not moving?

Options
I have been running for 30-45 minutes on the treadmill and then walking for 20 minutes on the treadmill everyday this week! I have been exercising since January so this is not a new routine (I have been running outside, doing the elliptical, and have attended two boot camps). I have been staying under my calorie range. My scale did not move this week....why?

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    It's a week--the presence of water weight could mask any weight loss. Give it time--and try to hit your calorie target. Not aim under it.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Looks by your diary that you arent eating enough. I see a 400 plus surplus nearly every day.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I need to try to aim to hit my calorie count but I do not eat my exercise calories back.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Well that isn't helping your situation any--you need to eat your exercise calories!!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to your goal, it becomes more important that you hit your calorie goals. I would suggest that you at least try and eat back some of your exercise calories, if not all, and give it time - 3-4 weeks at least. Then weigh, measure and see where you stand. Good luck!
  • Run4UrHealth
    Options
    One reason I do not eat my exercise calories is because some of the foods I eat (like at my parent's or stuff other people cook) I do not know the exact calorie count. I have also not quite understood the point of exercising and then eating what you burned (seems kind of pointless to work out to me)! I have lost 34 lbs since January and not eating my calories back so I am not sure that is the problem.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have been running for 30-45 minutes on the treadmill and then walking for 20 minutes on the treadmill everyday this week! I have been exercising since January so this is not a new routine (I have been running outside, doing the elliptical, and have attended two boot camps). I have been staying under my calorie range. My scale did not move this week....why?

Go back in time a couple of weeks, log what you remember eating and remember doing for exercise out side your normal day (try to be detailed).

See how many calories that was in and out. Then try to increase the difference. MFP is estimates, generic numbers for average people, only you know what it took to maintain your previous weight.

Also I am using the treadmill, my weight isn't going down but my body is toning up, I'll take that as a NSV.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Options
    I am not used to running everyday like I have and my legs are sore...could my muscle be retaining water? I did not realize how much running made my legs hurt. Sunday is my off day so hopefully my legs will get a rest!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You can retain water when your body is trying to repair from exertion. So be sure you do take a day or two a week to rest and repair. And eating back some of the calories (so you are at least netting above a healthy amount of calories taken in) helps keep your body from panicking and thinking it is starving. If it does that your metabolism ends up slowing down. Since the point of exercise is to speed the metabolism, don't defeat that by undereating. Also, be sure you are drinking enough water. Being hydrated actually helps your kidneys function effectively and keeps you from retaining water. (Counterintuitive, perhaps, but true!)
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    DRINK a TON of water and watch your sodium! By looking at your diary you don't track sodium, you should add it on there just to see where your at with it. I don't eat my exercise calories back either, unless I am super starving, then I will eat something. I always notice a HUGE difference in water retention when I decrease sodium big time!! I usually drink close to a gallon of water a day too, it helps keeping things flushed out!
  • asllady717
    Options
    Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. If you are building muscle, you may be healthier but not lose as much weight as you thought.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You may be building muscle, which is heavier than fat (and burns more calories). I too have just started running, and although I have not lost, my clothes fit better and my legs are tighter! Also, make sure you are measuring yourself with a tape measure. I lost nothing last week (which is frustrating), but when I got out my tape measure, I have lost 2 inches from my hips! We all have peaks and valleys, so keep up the good work!

S/N: I also put on 5 pounds overnight once a month. Thankfully it also disappears overnight about 5 days later. *sigh*
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Let's face it...some scales are possessed !