I ned some help from those who are doing great here!!!

Options
I everyone, I'm new to MFP only 5 days in and I've jumped ship from WW.
I'm struggling a bit trying to keep within my calories because at WW fruits and veggies were "free" but here they have calories that I must count. I'm trying something new.......I've decided to make a fruit smoothie in the morning for my breakfast hoping that it will tie my over until at least 11 or 12 noon.

Now right now I add skim milk, strawberries and banans but i was wondering if there was a good protein out there that I could add to my drink that would be high in protein but low in fat and calories.......keep in mind I'm not a big fan of yogurt...lol

Replies

• kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I actually found that eating breakfast just starts my hunger cycle, so I'm hungry 2 hours later. What worked for me when I only ate 1250 calories per day was to delay my first meal until I was really hungry and not just because i "wanted" to eat. That meant that my first meal was usually lunch, and splitting my calories between two main meals meant I could have more of what I wanted. If I was truly hungry before lunch, I ate a lite yogurt with only 60 calories. The lack of sugar plus the protein actually held me over to lunch without triggering the "I'm starving" feeling every two hours. Also, because I wanted to eat my main meal at night with my husband, I usually had a 320-400 calorie meal for lunch, so I could have dinner and a small dessert in the evening. I treat my calorie limit like a budget and just decide where I get the most value/enjoyment for my "spending" by asking "is it worth it?" or "would I rather?" Best of luck to you.
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I actually found that eating breakfast just starts my hunger cycle, so I'm hungry 2 hours later. What worked for me when I only ate 1250 calories per day was to delay my first meal until I was really hungry and not just because i "wanted" to eat. That meant that my first meal was usually lunch, and splitting my calories between two main meals meant I could have more of what I wanted. If I was truly hungry before lunch, I ate a lite yogurt with only 60 calories. The lack of sugar plus the protein actually held me over to lunch without triggering the "I'm starving" feeling every two hours. Also, because I wanted to eat my main meal at night with my husband, I usually had a 320-400 calorie meal for lunch, so I could have dinner and a small dessert in the evening. I treat my calorie limit like a budget and just decide where I get the most value/enjoyment for my "spending" by asking "is it worth it?" or "would I rather?" Best of luck to you.

that is really great advise! :wink:
  • sarahjay1
    sarahjay1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Whey Protein is good. 100 calories per scoop. That's what I use.
  • lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just started eating one egg and oatmeal for breakfast. The calories are 250 and you will be filled up for 3 hours. I used to have a smoothie in the a.m. but I was hungry fairly quick afterwards. Cottage cheese is a good protein source too. Fish is excellent, if you like it. Make sure you have protein at every meal instead of too many fruits or you will be hungry all the time.
  • DanaNicolle
    DanaNicolle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above post. I have lost 55 pounds since November (something I NEVER believed was possible), and I begin most days with an apple(70 calories) and as much coffee with Truvia that my morning mood requires. I find the fiber in the apple keeps me satisfied until lunch. I keep my lunches between 300-500 calories, and usually have about 800=1000 calories left for my dinner and snacks, depending on my lunch calories. I am currently eating between 1300-1450 calories per day. I like to have my dinner to look forward to, and don't deny myself any certain food, as long as it fits into my daily calories, I eat it. YOU can find what works for you, but I hope this helps! GOOD LUCK on your journey. It's worth the effort. :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i don't count calories, but eat healthily, so feel free to add me!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Any quality whey protein powder will give you somewhere in the ballpark of 24g protein for around 130 calories, give or take.
    I like Optimum Nutrition Natural Chocolate. But there are many choices.
  • hrivera175
    hrivera175 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Whey Protein is good. 100 calories per scoop. That's what I use.

I use it too! Love the stuff!!
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Listen- good fats like avacados and peanut butter aren't the enemy- add them to your shakes. I've been eating 30%carbs, 30%protein, 40% fat and have lost weight without trying. (I've always worked out 4-5x's a week). I am following more of a primal diet and I just love it :)
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I used yogurt instead of milk or juice, you can use greek yogurt for more protein.. =) I use Body Fortress Whey.. I used it in my fruit smoothies and now my coffee drinks <3 Mmmm =)
  • 23SVM88
    23SVM88 Posts: 47
    Options
    bump
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Of course, protein powder, but also try cottage cheese... less tang than greek yogurt.

Bananas tend to be high calorie (well, that and I hate them) so I stick with berries, mostly.
  • carefulkate
    carefulkate Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This sounds like what I have just started doing I have never really wanted food first thing but everyone says you should eat breakfast so I used to take porridge now I wait till I am hungry and it is usually lunchtime
    Lets hope it helps me too x:smooched:
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    Be careful with skipping breakfast. It slows your metabolism down. Also the milk in your smoothies is great but lacks fat. Fruit has sugar and that combined will just make you hungrier. Try kasha go lean cereal instead. I use 2% milk. Then I eat a small snack. At 11 and lunch at 1 or 2. I eat 280 cal salads with nuts or chicken in them. I too save my cals for night so I can eat with my family. Btw. This is way better than weight watchers. You get 24/7 support and motivation from the boards and best of all it's FREE
  • DebraKing52
    Options
    You're at the right place!! Love MFP! I've been here for 5 months and have lost 36 pounds. I haven't been able to lose weight for years and years, but this is great.....like a game almost. Good luck to you, and feel free to add me! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!