Curves?

Options
Who exercises at Curves? How long have you done it? I just joined and love it, but someone told me it has a high burnout rate. Opinions?

Replies

• KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I never have but 2 women in my office used to, they quit and went to a different place. better classes was the main reason.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It SUCKS.

Boring, oh so very boring....and I never lost any weight or even toned up any going there.
  • momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My MIL used to go to Curves... you do the exact same circuit every single time so it gets boring.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law owns one in Australia. She says it can be fun if you're there with a group of people you kow or see on a regular basis. She thinks it's great for elderly people or people who are morbidly obese and just starting their weight loss program. In other words, it's great if you just want to start moving a little. I doubt you'd ever lose a lot of weight and gain muscle just doing that circuit training.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law owns one in Australia. She says it can be fun if you're there with a group of people you kow or see on a regular basis. She thinks it's great for elderly people or people who are morbidly obese and just starting their weight loss program. In other words, it's great if you just want to start moving a little. I doubt you'd ever lose a lot of weight and gain muscle just doing that circuit training.

^^

i think its better than doing NOTHING - if this is what you need to get started its fine. But like others said - it gets boring AND you can't mix things up or change intensity like you could at a regular gym. (yeah yeah I know they say if you go faster its more resistance but it doesn't really work that way because its really hard to go exactly the right speed ot give yourself exactly the right resistance, its MUCH easier to add another 2.5 lbs of weight).

Anyway. Enjoy it while you enjoy it, and don't sign too long of a contract.
  • MagnoliaBliss
    MagnoliaBliss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just don't feel comfortable going to a regular gym at the weight I am. When I lose 30-40 lbs, I may change my mind.
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Curves, I went for 3 months, 3 days a week and lost 45 lbs, and then I got pregnant and had my girl (now 4). I enjoyed it at the time. And it's what you make it. You push as hard as you want. I tried to go back but I got tired of the monotony of it. Same circuit, same machines, every time I went... But lots of people love it. It does work, that's for sure!
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Curves, I went for 3 months, 3 days a week and lost 45 lbs, and then I got pregnant and had my girl (now 4). I enjoyed it at the time. And it's what you make it. You push as hard as you want. I tried to go back but I got tired of the monotony of it. Same circuit, same machines, every time I went... But lots of people love it. It does work, that's for sure!

Just read some posts... you can change intensity. They are all hydralic machines, you get what you put in.
  • jealous_loser
    Options

^^

i think its better than doing NOTHING - if this is what you need to get started its fine. But like others said - it gets boring AND you can't mix things up or change intensity like you could at a regular gym. (yeah yeah I know they say if you go faster its more resistance but it doesn't really work that way because its really hard to go exactly the right speed ot give yourself exactly the right resistance, its MUCH easier to add another 2.5 lbs of weight).

Anyway. Enjoy it while you enjoy it, and don't sign too long of a contract.

I did Curves for about 6 months. I lost maybe 5 pounds. I don't know. Unless you go all out and get the piece that monitors you too (stay in the green!) then I don't think it is worth while. Good place to start and get used to getting in a routine, but they are a little restrictive. They only want you to go for 30 min a day. The one by me actually put in some cardio machines, but I'd still rather go to a full on gym.
  • ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I likes me a thick woman, if I could join curves I would never get anything done because I would be checking out all the cute chicas there =P
  • MrsSpace
    MrsSpace Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    <<I go to Curves. I love it. *shrug* I will say it's not for everybody. I like knowing what I'm there to do; and knowing I can't let myself skip machines and come back later---because at the gym, I'd never go back to machines that I'd skipped, LOL. I like that it's a quick workout for every major muscle group. Plus, I can bring my daughter and there are very few gyms in my area with child care (My huband works out of town, so I have no sitter).
    I lost 51 lbs in 9 months. I have toned up a lot and yes, I have a bit of muscles--especially in my legs! They're awesome! I don't intend to bulk up though, so it suits me just fine. I do believe it has sped up my metabolism. I tend to burn anywhere from 350-425 calories a workout. 490 was my highest burn just this past Tuesday. That's pretty good for only 26 minutes!
    I enjoy the group of ladies (most are older, but a few are my age and we now have many girls in their 20's that work out at the same time I do).
    I use the Curves Smart program which gives you a goal at the beginning of the work out. At the end, It tells you how well you did on each machine, where you need to improve and how many calories you've burned. I love the program, and when I see my progress there on the screen I'm even more pumped to come back for my next workout.
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I love my Curves. You get what you put in!

It also helps as to what your Curves has to offer. I joined a couple years back and had to quit when I moved to a place where there wasn't a close one to me. But in the short time I did it I lost 30+ lbs and all I did was go 4-5 days a week 30 mins and didn't change my eating.

I have joined again now after moving again and one is right by my house. It motivates me to get out and go cause its wasted money otherwise. I can't go as much as I would like due to conflicting work schedule but you can vary up your workout. Example at my Curves on the recovery boards they have signs to show different moves to do instead of simply walking or jogging, ie squats,punches..... Plus you can do your own thing in between. Also My Curves has a 2 different Zumba classes I love and a Yoga class I love. They also do a line dancing class I don't attend. Plus instead of simply doing recovery boards my Curves puts on a Leslie Sansone vid and in between the machines you can get out and follow her vid or basically just do her vid alone. They do have other vids as well but stick to Leslie, lol. Also once in a while they will throw on the Zumba Circuit vid which is awesome and I always burn over 500 calories doing that with the machines!! Sometimes we do challenges and they can be fun as well. If you don't go to socialize you can get alot out of it. Plus the one I attend has hula hoops, jump ropes and things like that you can utilize it you wish. I haven't lost as much this time around but that's mostly due to my eating.

Along with Curves I also do things at home.

ps the 1st curves I used the smart program and now my 2nd Curves doesn't offer that program, which I do miss and recommend. Plus you can do more than 30 min. I have stayed and done 3 circuits, which is 45 min or finished off walking with Leslie for longer workouts.
  • MrsSpace
    MrsSpace Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that I've been at my Curves since Sept 2010.
    Also, at my Curves, the manager switches out machines every so often and we have 'wacky Wednesdays' were we go the opposite direction around the circuit. If you do find that you are bored, ask your manager to try it. It really keeps your mind working.