Question For People Who Have/Had A Lot To Lose...

Options

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I started at 301, and nobody noticed til around the 45 lb mark or so. I'd lost a full size, but being so big, people just didn't see it. NOW they comment all the time :)

you'll get there!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Every 10%
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50 lbs, couldn't see a difference in the mirror but I took pictures every 10 lbs and I could see the loss.

^^ This was me too!

My friends noticed the weight loss long before I saw it in the mirror. Took me a long time before I looked in the mirrow and saw the "new" me.

My suggestion would be to take a picture of yourself for every 10 pounds (or once a month, which is what I did) and then you will notice it!
  • foodlover2
    foodlover2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about taking pictures. You look at yourself every day and you know what you want to see. Take a picture and compare. Wear the same clothes so it's easier to see. Comparing each week to the first week's picture will give you LOTS of motivation. Keep up the good work!!!
    4866568.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    18 months it has taken me to notice a difference, so far i have lost 86lb, my family and close friends have been telling me for about 9 months that i was looking good, but whenever i looked in the mirror i just saw my older larger self, lately every person i see seems to be commenting on my loss, and as a result i've started seeing the progress i have made, i still think i look bigger than i am though :0(
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i noticed at about 40lbs
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I've lost 41 pounds and don't see a difference in the mirror, HOWEVER... everyone else sees a big difference. You are going to be your own worst critic for a long time. When I lost about 20 pounds I had a panic attack because I was starting to see how big I had let myself become and was suddenly afraid I would break my own bed! Those weren't fears for me before. I just walked around with blinders until I started to lose. Also, my first twenty pounds didn't do much, but my next twenty pounds were more effective. The more weight you have left to lose, the harder it is to tell. Think of it like an onion; when you peel back the first layer, it doesn't look very different. Then you peel back the second layer, and even though it's just one layer (and smaller than the last one), you start to notice the difference in the size of the onion. As you peel more and more, the layers are smaller, but the effect is more profound.
  • mrsevanrust
    Options
    I'd say typically for a heavier person around 30#'s. As a nurse I know you lose visceral (internal, surrounding your organs) fat first. I think for encouragement's sake, to stay on the wagon, you should take a monthly picture and/or weekly measurments. I know everyone professes to want to be and feel healthy, but we all want to look good too. Hang in there-
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I've lost 89 lbs over the last year and I still don't see a difference but the clothes tell another story.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    This seems to be a really common issue. A lot of women have trouble seeing themselves as thinner. This is one reason that a measuring tape should be your best friend!

I have 126 lbs left to lose and personally I notice every pound. I wake up, look in the mirror, look down, and can pretty reliably guess if I've gained or lost weight. Sometimes I'm wrong if I've been doing a lot of strength training, but generally :). Seriously, every little bit I lose makes me feel like 300% sexier.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I was about 230 when I first started Weight Watcher many years ago. It took about 25-30 lbs. before people started noticing and I think that was because that's when I was able to wear the next small sized pants. It always takes awhile for your brain to catch up, so I still wasn't really seeing it in the mirror at that point. Stick with it...
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice it at first til my jeans fell off my butt literally... Can not see the behind view!
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    It took about 50. I honestly don't see a different me in the mirror in fact I went through a phase where I felt worse about myself than I did when I started. You have to take pictures and compare I have a front side and back view from when I started and at 50 pounds lost on my fridge and in 20 more pounds lost ill put up 100 pounds lost ones and I can see changes in pictures easy... the mirror not so much... so be sure to take pics
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Pictures and a tape measure will be your best friends!
  • shmiracles
    shmiracles Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    for me, right when i reached 30 lbs lost, i suddenly noticed it. like bam!
    my clothes fit great, i was less tired, and everyone who knew me couldn't help but notice or comment.

i took pictures of myself when i started, and i'm not sure they really help. but because of what everyone here has said, i should probably take current pictures and compare them side my side.
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't have a good answer because it differs from person to person but I would just encourage you to keep working hard eating healthy. It pays off.

I have noticed that my excess "fat" bothers me more now than it did when I was over 300 Lbs but that is partially what keeps me motivated.
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 50lbs, and still have 25 to lose. Honestly, when I look in the mirror at myself, naked. I see the same body. It wasn't until I started taking pictures, clothed that I'm like, holy smokes! That's me?? And people will notice before you do. Take tons of pictures, aver couple of weeks! You'll start to notice :)
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    As many have said, people will notice before you do. I've lost about 42lbs total (I lost some before finding MFP) and just about everyday somebody will comment on my weight loss. Sadly, like many others who've responded, I look in the mirror and all I can see is that I have a lot more to lose. It does take time but hang in there, the pay off is so worth it! Clothes also tell you much more than the scale ever will.

All the best to you!!!
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have lost around 42lbs. To be honest apart from my face in photos I can't see it. My side by side photos I think you can see a slight change. My mom says a huge change! Friends (who knew I was dieting) have been noticing since around 15lbs, but at around 30lbs I started having people who didn't know have commented all the time.

Personally, I think a lot of my (? our) weight problem is related to my perception of myself. I picked up weight around age 8-12. Once I hit my teens I lost most and looking at photos from then I was actually a very normal size. However, my perception was that I was fat. I wore clothes that were too big and refused to wear bikinis or short shorts etc because I believed I was fat. Through my late teens and early 20s I picked up weight slowly, but was still not that overweight, although I saw myself as huge.
    I once spend hours searching every "big" shop I could find for an outfit for a wedding and could find nothing that I was happy with. The shop assistant at the last shop told me I was in the wrong section, took me off to the "normal" section and found me a size about 3 sizes below what I was lookign for which fitted perfectly! I think we have sort of a memory of what we were like which stays around for a while interfering with our ability to see the changes.