Calling all dietitians and fitness trainers...!

Options
Ok let me start by saying I'm a 22 year old with 2 kids and a husband. I work at home watching children. I go to the gym and workout at a minimum of 1 hour. Most of the time I get in almost 2 hrs though.
The problem-I seem to have like NO energy! Eating right and exercising should give me more energy but I still seem to be the same or worse. What foods should I be eating? Check out my food diary for this entire week it would better reflect what I eat most of the time. Please help me out. Not sure what I'm needing to do!

Replies

• ivyslocum
    ivyslocum Posts: 21
    Options
    BUMP TO THE TOP!!! I need some energy foods too please.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm not dietitian or fitness trainer, but I took a look at your diary for the past 3 days and your food looks alright.

My suggestion, take that 2 hr workout session and cut it down to an hour or less.. there is no need to spend 2 hrs in the gym unless you want to.

Also make sure you are getting the proper amount of sleep.. 8 hrs at least.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    I am by no means a dieticians but from my view it looks pretty good. You may want to tinker a little bit to try to get your carb and protein ratios more consistent as you seem to bounce around a little bit...higher carb one day, higher protein the next, etc. Perhaps 40/40/20 and me strict about it. Also, you could make some subtle changes to what you're eating and go to more whole foods vs. the brand name stuff.

Other than that I would say go to the gym for an hour and hit it hard. Do you wear a HRM while at the gym and how much are you burning? Figure out your average and burn the same amount that you're doing in 2 hrs. Being a mom I'm sure you're very active throughout the day so adding 2 hours at the gym I can see why you're tired. And sleep if you're not! Your body needs rest and it's just as important as diet and exercise.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Not a trainer, not a dietician, but having been a Medic in the army and managing such things before...

1) You are not eating right. You are constantly LOW on proteins and well over on carbs, fats, and sodium.
    2) How much sleep are you getting?
    3) Do you have a vitamin deficiency? Try adding a Super B Complex or B12 to your day.
  • Jsnbabb1
    Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    That's the thing! I get plenty of sleep. My mom always mad fun of me saying I always needed Atleast 8 hrs of sleep or I would be grumpy and mean. And I get my 8 hrs of sleep! But I'm still tired. And I stay at the gym for 2 hours because it feels awesome. I like to workout. Lol
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    more is not always better. for me, 2 hours in the gym results in over training. I prefer to spread it out over the week. I can usually get in the gym and warm up, do my workout (either upper or lower body) and be done in 45 minutes.

dont rush this thing. take your time and do quality work over quantity.

as far as energy levels go, not eating before a work out is doing good for me. not sure if it really makes a difference but I do IF (intermittent fasting) and really enjoy the freedom of not planning my next meal. And my energy is great.
  • Jsnbabb1
    Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    how would i get any higher in proteins? i eat eggs for breakfast a protein shake for lunch, protein bar for snack, and chicken for dinner?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    more is not always better. for me, 2 hours in the gym results in over training. I prefer to spread it out over the week. I can usually get in the gym and warm up, do my workout (either upper or lower body) and be done in 45 minutes.

dont rush this thing. take your time and do quality work over quantity.

as far as energy levels go, not eating before a work out is doing good for me. not sure if it really makes a difference but I do IF (intermittent fasting) and really enjoy the freedom of not planning my next meal. And my energy is great.

This^

You don't say how often you are working out but I'm assuming you mean daily? If so, you are not getting enough rest days. Train 4 days a week, rest 3. You'll have better recovery and you'll be more effective in your workouts. Also, your protein looks fine if your lean body mas is 120 or less. Your goals look all fouled up though. Some days your protein goal is over 300?? What's happening there. Good amounts of protein and sufficient carbs will help your recovery. What kind of workouts are you doing?
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    how would i get any higher in proteins? i eat eggs for breakfast a protein shake for lunch, protein bar for snack, and chicken for dinner?

Nuts and nut butters such as Peanut Butter (get all natural)
    Cottage cheese has a lot (1c has ~ 28 grams)
    Greek Yogurt (regular too but not as much but some brands have higher protein versions)
    Old fashioned milk (I settle for 1% as regular is to fatty, skim tastes like water and if you compare it to plant based milk there really isn't a whole lot of difference)
    Kashi Go Lean High Fiber Cereals have a good amount as well
    Many whole grain foods (bread, pasta, rice, etc) have an ok amount
    Lentils and beans: kidney, pinto, garbanzo (chick peas) and edamame (green soybeans)
    Faux meats like veggie burgers and other soy based meat product as well. Careful of sodium though.
    Fish and Shrimp are also good protein sources in addition to the chicken. I keep a bag of frozen shrimp handy for those emergency days as it's generally low calorie, low card and packs a ton of protein.

That's about all that I can think of.