How many calories "over" are too many?

Options
Just curious. I usually don't stress out too much if my daily calories are 100-200 cal over my goals. Should I?

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    100-200 calories is nothing.

There are 3500 calories in 1 lb of fat, and it takes time for fat to develop in your body. As long as your weekly averages are close to 0, you'll be fine!
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't either- some days you are 1-200 over, some days you are 1-200 under-

i've always said it's not like your body has a magic "calorie reset" button that goes off at midnight- you have to have a defecit of 3500 calories to lose a pound- that can be in a few days or two weeks...

don't sweat the small stuff! :wink:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    A deficit of 250 calories a day will cause you to lose 1/2 pound a week. So if you ate an extra 250 calories every single day, your progress might be slowed by 1/2 pound of weight loss a week.

In other words: If you are still losing weight, no, don't worry about it.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you're going over some days, and under other days, I wouldn't worry if it's within 500 calories of the goal. I would pay more attention to the averages for the week and if you are not going over for the week then I don't think individual days are a big deal. I guess it depends also on whether you are getting the results you want, which is what it really comes down to.

People's metabolisms can vary even if they are at the same weight and height, so the amount MFP has set for you is not a magic number. Your needs could be slightly higher or lower.
  • grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Please, read this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/606721-after-a-binge-after-a-meal-out-read-this

I think it will help answer your question.
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    That is an excellent way to put it!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    as ejean86 said, 3500 calories = 1lb.

So even if you went, for two weeks straight at 200 calories over, the difference would only be one pound.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    my droid app has a function that shows my weekly net calories, which i like a lot. i find that i do really well on monday-thursday, pretty bad on fridays and saturdays, and OK on sundays. so the net weekly calories is nice to see!
  • jenellechan26
    Options
    As long as you're not over your weekly calorie goal you can give yourself some flexibility during the week by having a higher calorie deficit on some days and then using those calories on a different day during the week. Make sure to stay within the 100-200 range of going over your calories. Hope this helps :0)
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Please, read this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/606721-after-a-binge-after-a-meal-out-read-this

OMG that just MADE my day! Thank you so much!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Depends how much you are set to lose. If you're set up to lose 1lb a week, that's only a 500 cal a day deficit. If you eat 200 over then you're only at a 300 cal deficit and you'll be cutting your weight loss potential almost in half.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I try to make it no more than 50...that's just an arbitrary number I picked out and nothing based in 'science'.:happy:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Please, read this.

This was a great read!! Thanks for sharing!