Fasting.......

Options
Once in a blue moon, I will go a whole day with no solid food. I'll still have fluids, juice, maybee some broth..but I just feel better the next day. Usually it's after a day where I've eaten a lot..like my body is telling me "whoa girl...we have enough in here to last a while". It is not difficult, and I only do it about twice a mo. I do not do it on purpose to lose weight, it's more like..well..I just want my colon to clean out (tmi sorry). Anybody else do this?

Replies

• morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I would be super crabby and STARVING!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you want your "colon to clean out" (not TMI - everyone's got one.....) you're probably better off to boost your solid food intake (fresh fruits, vegetables etc - more fibre) and drink more water. I don't think fasting every now and then is going to do you any harm, in many cultures periodic fasting is part of the spiritual journey.
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I would be super crabby and STARVING!!!

Ditto.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I do intermittant fasting..16hrs no food, 8 hour feed window...every few days. Could never go 24 hours though..that would kill my metabolism.
  • jeffbond
    jeffbond Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have fasted quite a bit. I have no cals at all, only non cal beverages and vitamins. It makes you feel great and you dont have to worry about the food you are eating. I will usually fast for 36 hrs, but also throw in a 16/8 fasting diet here and there.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i always feel better once i fast too, but that's basically due to ketosis.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I do intermittant fasting..16hrs no food, 8 hour feed window...every few days. Could never go 24 hours though..that would kill my metabolism.

actually your metabolism would be fine
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

actually 24 hour fast could possibly help your metabolism. It will most certainly NOT kill or harm your metabolism. It takes about 72 hours without food to start slowing down your metabolism.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Done it, but not routinely. Usually only for about 24 hours. Gives me a nasty headache and makes me super irritable, but I really do feel good the next day.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

actually 24 hour fast could possibly help your metabolism. It will most certainly NOT kill or harm your metabolism. It takes about 72 hours without food to start slowing down your metabolism.

Exactly.

Eight teen hours into a fast your body actually produces more growth hormones.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You'll find there are lots of folks who believe in fasting, and a lot of folks who will argue vehemently against it.

If it feels right to you then I'd say go ahead. If you are truly worried about it, ask your doctor what he/she thinks.
  • catch242
    catch242 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have both lost weight with myfitnesspal, but decided to try a juice fast after see Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. It was an amazing experience very different from the fasting mentioned in the previous posts. I'm on 1200 calories, but the juices added up to be a bit more, so hunger wasn't an issue. Plus, your nutrient intake is greatly increased. My husband did 10 days and I did 7. Also, it's great to use as an exclusion diet. You slowly add certain food groups back into your diet and it can help diagnose certain issues like gluten intolerance.
  • MauSalvaje
    MauSalvaje Posts: 15
    Options
    Long ago I fasted for a whole week, just water...and diet coke...I think I messed all the detoxing with the diet coke :p

Anyway, it's pretty hard...and probably unhealthy. Some people do it for religious purposes though...
  • irisgigiperez
    Options
    I don't know if I could do this, but I'd be willing to try broth to replace one of my meals every now and then. I tend to get weak when I don't eat, which is one of the reasons I decided to start this journey. I had a physical and my doctor said everything is fine, so I decided it was the extra weight that makes my body freak out. Self-diagnosis, but I had no other choice.