Dumb Question: Freeze Greek Yogurt?

Options
Can you do that? I have plain here and I was thinking of adding some berries to some and maybe a dash of honey then freezing it to eat as "ice cream".

Will that turn out okay? Has anyone done it?

Replies

• glturner2
    glturner2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've done it to make ice lollies. I'm not sure how well it'd make ice cream because the texture would be a bit funny. It certainly helped me through last summer's ice cream cravings.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    you couldn't just freeze it to make frozen yogurt, just like you can't just freeze cream and make ice cream. You could probably put it in an ice cream maker, or try the other various (labour intensive!) ways to make ice cream by hand.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I added bananas and a little milk and golden syrup to some plain pot set yogurt and froze it in icy pole molds. It tastes real good. It does have crystals in it though, so it's not like proper ice cream, but if that doesn't bother you then go for it.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am not the least bit bothered by ice crystals! Thanks for the recipe.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I've just made frozen low fat vanilla yoghurt with banana and honey in, I keep stirring it every so often to try to prevent as much crystals as possible!
  • tennillewade
    tennillewade Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ive done it and it was really icey and not creamy, i'm told if you sit it on cheese cloth in the fridge to drain out any water in it then mix in the berries and freeze it it should come out creamy i have not tried this yet so i don't know :smile: :
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    If I wanted it like ice cream, I'd freeze in SMALL ice cubes and then use a blender or bullet to make it whip around with a little fruit-maybe even bananas since frozen blended bananas take the texture of soft serve...
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've frozen cottage cheese before and it was ok when I thawed it, it was the same consistency, tasted good, etc.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...this has possibilities. Freeze it, then it will numb my taste buds and I could finally choke some down.

Theoretically.
  • Christiane81
    Options
    I have not had the greatest success freezing it, it tends to be gritty with crystals. Instead I roast bananas, cut them into chunks and then freeze them. When you want ice cream, just throw the frozen chunks into a blender, and it makes banana soft serve. YUM!!!!
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options
    I have not had the greatest success freezing it, it tends to be gritty with crystals. Instead I roast bananas, cut them into chunks and then freeze them. When you want ice cream, just throw the frozen chunks into a blender, and it makes banana soft serve. YUM!!!!

That is another excellent idea...though I would probably use berries instead of bananas.
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options
    Hmmm...this has possibilities. Freeze it, then it will numb my taste buds and I could finally choke some down.

Theoretically.

It took me FOREVER to find a greek yogurt that I enjoyed!
  • Christiane81
    Options
    Dr. Oz has a great "ice cream" recipe on his website that uses berries, it is really good, especially if you hate bananas :)
  • LadySteele54
    Options
    ive been getting weight watchers greek frozen yogurt
  • greenbaymichk
    greenbaymichk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Try using frozen fruit with greek yogurt, then whiz in the blender. May also want to add a tsp of diet pudding powder, to give a creamier consistency (and a little zing! - think cheesecake pudding...)