FitBit vs. HRM

Options
2»

Replies

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Just expanding the conversation a little bit... what about Bodybugg and Nike Fuel bands?

Never heard of those! Are you going to confuse me even more, lol?
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My Birthday is coming up and I am trying to decide which to ask my hubby for. Lol, maybe it will be both? What HRM's do you recommend and what is a reasonable price point?

I have a Polar FT7 and it cost $75.50 through Amazon but was shipped from Heartratemonitors.com. The Fitbit is always $99.
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 HRM and I love it. I've been using it since January and refuse to work out without it. It's the best $79 (on sale) that I ever spent.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options

Actually it's an accelerometer, measuring acceleration in any direction. A pedometer measures steps in terms of up and down movement.

Actually it's a pedometer that uses an Accelerometer.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Just expanding the conversation a little bit... what about Bodybugg and Nike Fuel bands?

Never heard of those! Are you going to confuse me even more, lol?

I believe they are both similar to the FitBit (i.e. glorified pedometers) but I'm not certain. I just threw them in here because I'd like to know more about them. The Fuelband is certainly stylish though.
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options

Actually it's an accelerometer, measuring acceleration in any direction. A pedometer measures steps in terms of up and down movement.

Actually it's a pedometer that uses an Accelerometer.

"The Fitbit Tracker uses a three-dimensional accelerometer, similar to that in the Wii Remote, to sense user movement. The Tracker measures steps taken, distance walked, calories burned, floors climbed, and activity duration and intensity. It uses an OLED display to display this and other information such as the battery level. It also measures sleep quality: how long it takes the wearer to fall asleep, how often they wake up over the course of the night, and how long they are actually asleep."

"A pedometer is a device, usually portable and electronic or electromechanical, that counts each step a person takes by detecting the motion of the person's hips. Because the distance of each person's step varies, an informal calibration, performed by the user, is required if presentation of the distance covered in a unit of length (such as in kilometres or miles) is desired."

Edit: Your wording that the device *uses* an accelerometer is correct. However, the fitbit is not a pedometer.
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have both. I use my fitbit to count every day running around and purposeful walks and runs. I use my HRM for things the fitbit isn't good at (like strength training, biking, etc.)

My advice...if you do a lor of walking, running as your main activity..fitbit. If you like to do other things more.....HRM. And I absolutely LOVE my fibit.
  • shannond1980
    shannond1980 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you had a really active job where you walked a lot and wanted an idea of calories you're burning including total calories for just existing plus all the daily grind activity then I would suggest getting the fitbit.

From what you've said though you just want something that'll help calculate your gym session caloric output so I would go with HRM.

I have the fitbit, I don't use it to log exercise, only additional walking and as a tool to motivate me to add more steps in a day. I'm looking into an HRM myself for the same reasons as you (mfp calculations seem way high).
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help? http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/04/reviews_bodymonitors/

This is a re-post from someone I don't know. But it helped me make my decision. I went with the BodyMedia FIT Link. Whatever you decide to get, you should do a search on eBay first. I got mine for $90 shipped, and it was NIB. I'm going to go look for the site I've seen with a good deal on a huge variety of hrms, and I'll add it when I find it.

www.bodytronics.com Use code POPO for 5% off.

I should add that I also use the Polar FT4. One consideration is that only the hrms can be waterproof (at this point).
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have both. I use the fitbit for everyday type of activity and my HRM for running and other types of cardio. Surprisingly, the fitbit is pretty darn close to my GPS/HRM when I run, but it can't calculate calorie burn for things like bike riding or gym-type cardio, etc. I just bought a BodyMedia Fit Core off eBay today actually. I had considered buying that instead of the fitbit, but I didn't want to wear the armband all of the time. I won it (today actually) for a really good price, so I figure I can wear it to get an idea of my real TDEE and if I hate it, no big loss ;)
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am still waiting on my Mio Motiva Petite to come in the mail, it better ship soon dammit! I know everyone says that a HRM with a strap is the best because it monitors your HR at all times, but I don't do too many high impact cardio workouts because of knee and back injuries so its super easy for me to just use the face on the monitor and check it with my two fingers. I am hoping that it will work in the water, it is water resistant up to 30m, so thats good.. I'll just have to be able to stop and check my HR during my water aerobics.