ATKINS DIET?

Options
Hi There,

I know it is kinda "out dated" but has anyone tried the Atkins diet. Do you have any helpful hints? Does it work? I am looking for a good solution to drop 5-10 lbs. Thaanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Haven't done it, but any diet that restricts carbs and more importantly fiber is against my rules. I actually suggest looking at the paleo diet over atkins.

Also, depending of your stats, you may or may not be able to lose another 10 lbs (based on your picture) but should rather look to cut fat.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Atkins DOES work! I didn't even go down to the induction level of 20g carbs a day--I keep mine between 50-100g NET per day. The previous poster is under the impression that you have to eliminate carbs/fiber but that is not true! Atkins says to REDUCE your amount of carbs you eat, but you only count "net carbs"--that is total carbs MINUS fiber--for example, the tortilla I eat at breakfast is 17g of carbs but 12 of them are fiber, so only 5 *count* towards your carb count.

The first week I cut my carbs down under 100g net, I lost 4.8lbs. Every week since, I have lost at least a pound. Before I cut my carbs it took me 3 months to lose 7 pounds. After I cut them, I lost 7 pounds in a month!
  • emisu2
    emisu2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

I know it is kinda "out dated" but has anyone tried the Atkins diet. Do you have any helpful hints? Does it work? I am looking for a good solution to drop 5-10 lbs. Thaanks!

It absolutely works. Try under 20 grams carbs, 50 grams protein, and the rest of your calories fat for quick weight loss.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Haven't done it, but any diet that restricts carbs and more importantly fiber is against my rules. I actually suggest looking at the paleo diet over atkins.

I second the Paleo/Primal idea over Atkins. It's not considered low carb, because not all carbs are created equal, and is for overall health, not just weight loss.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i do low carb. - just carbs from veggies, nuts and dairy.

and its not a diet, its a lifestyle =]
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I tried it, but it wasn't sustainable. I lost quickly. I know now that it was only water weight. Since, I couldn't stay on a low carb diet, it wasn't for me.

I think it would've worked if I would've followed it as you're supposed to. I just don't want to follow a "diet". I want to eat what I want within reason and be healthy.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: If you stick to lean protein ( egg whites, chicken breast, tofu, etc) it can work wonders for you!!!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Stick with a healthy normal diet. Roughly 60% carb, 30% protein 10% fat or close to. Carbs are fantastic for you! Processed carbs are not. Try to make smart carb choices and you'll be good! Brown rice, whole wheat, fruits and vegetables etc.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You could try eating all the foods you like and keep your calories 1000 under your TDEE and get the same results. You won't have to sacrifice any foods you love and if you do atkins.. you will gain it all back when you start eating normal again :(
  • debra15june
    debra15june Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hi there i am a qualified dietitian and would not recommend the atkins diet at all! debra
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    The Atkins diet can work as a quick fix. You could just reduce your carbs by a couple percentages, that should help. Like you could do a 40% carb ratio which is better since it is easier and less restrictive than 20 carbs a day.
  • sunrize_sc
    sunrize_sc Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Paleo. Much healthier.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    ugh. so much misinformation in this thread.

yes, you severely restrict your carbs for one phase of atkins... it gets you into ketosis.
    once you lose your weight, you do eat normally. low carb helps teach you portion control (ketosis makes you eat a lot less)

it's excellent for overeaters, carb addiction, and people that binge a lot.

you must remember it is a lifestyle, and you cannot go back to eating junk you were eating before.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    ugh. so much misinformation in this thread.

yes, you severely restrict your carbs for one phase of atkins... it gets you into ketosis.
    once you lose your weight, you do eat normally. low carb helps teach you portion control (ketosis makes you eat a lot less)

it's excellent for overeaters, carb addiction, and people that binge a lot.

you must remember it is a lifestyle, and you cannot go back to eating junk you were eating before.

you are correct...IF you decide to go through induction, you cut your carbs down to 20g per day...however, *I* never went through induction, but still managed to lose a good amount of weight following the principals of Atkins. It took me 3 months to lose 7 months following the MFP suggested macros. I cut my carbs down to no more than 100g Net per day, and the weight started melting off! I lost 8lbs the first month and 6lbs the second month...
  • bmw_bloch
    bmw_bloch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins when I was a teenager in high school and it worked great for me. I will just do it again, starting this week because fish, chicken, cheese, salads, vegis are my favorites anyway. And once I'll get down to my goal I might treat me to some whole grain pasta once in while ;-)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    hi there i am a qualified dietitian and would not recommend the atkins diet at all! debra

But there are specialty physicians out there who do recommend Atkins-style intake that have acquired RD credentials.. so clearly its not that bad.

I have many diabetic patients who significantly reduced their A1c by following Atkins approach where clearly, diabetic patients are often counseled on the types of carbs to choose from and the number to maintain for carb intake...