Abs are made in the Kitchen?

Options
I have been working out pretty hard for the past 7 months and have lost 53lbs. Ive done Insanity, P90x and Im about to finish Insanity Asylum. I am in the best shape of my life but still no abs(which is my main goal). I started at about 38% body fat and now Im about 17%. I've put 100% effort into these programs EXCEPT the nutrition plans. I don't like the food in these plans. I am very picky and only like plain foods. I eat grilled chicken plain and tuna straight from the can. So I guess my question is, if Abs are made in the kitchen then what am I to do if im a picky eater? I supplement using a multi-vitamin called Orange Triad, and I also take Vitamin D drops and Omega 3 fish oils. Any advice?

Replies

• chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Keep going is the answer.

Keep exercising hard and keep eating at a calorific deficit.

At 17% you can't really expect to see abs.

I'm on a bulk at the moment and I've got up to around 15% and mine are seriously fading. They are only visible when I tense and suck my stomach in.

Keep going til you hit 10% body fat and see where you stand.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The healthier you eat the better your weight loss will go and more fat burnt.....You can get abs eating crappy but under your goal im sure but the better you eat the easier it will be to stick with it in the end i feel....Keep pushing you will get there im not far off abs myself but i eat pretty good i feel i have cut out all the junk
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Keep going is the answer.

Keep exercising hard and keep eating at a calorific deficit.

At 17% you can't really expect to see abs.

I'm on a bulk at the moment and I've got up to around 15% and mine are seriously fading. They are only visible when I tense and suck my stomach in.

Keep going til you hit 10% body fat and see where you stand.

Same. I didn't really start seeing my abs until about 10% as well. Keep it up!
  • link136937
    link136937 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks I know these things don't happen over night but Ive been stuck at 17% for a few weeks. I know its not my work ethic bc its pretty solid. It has to be my diet. I have seen massive gains everywhere but my lower stomach and waist. Its pretty frustrating when that is the one place I want to see results the most.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What kind of work out are you doing? Have you specifically been targeting your abs? When I was younger, I did a 30 minute abs workout. It was very painful at first, but the results were great. It was VHS. :laugh: I don't remember the name of it, but it was excercises specifically designed to tone and strengthen abdominal muscles. Sometimes it's the type of exercise that makes the difference.
  • link136937
    link136937 Posts: 14
    Options
    I do a lot of core workouts including Ab Ripper X among others. I feel my core/abs are pretty strong, and I can feel them in there. I just cant see them. I have a classic case of "Spare Tire".
  • ag2ut
    ag2ut Posts: 20
    Options
    I've also done those programs and they will definitely build the muscles and burn the fat. You're exactly right, though: the change will probably need to come from your nutrition. AND lower body fat. You're just not going to see abs at 17% (on a guy - as a girl, if I hit 17%, mine would be poppin, haha). The meal plans in those programs can be a little complex, but you can follow the macro and calorie recommendations with your own (healthy) foods. Nothing wrong with plain grilled chicken and veggies.