ChaLEAN Extreme Before and After

Options
RobynMWilson
RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
I've been working out since 1996. I originally lost my weight in high school, 1987, but didn't go about it the right way since the information was not readily available back then about fitness and exercise and nutrition, so I was left with a lot of loose skin around my hips and thighs. As I'm getting older, it's become harder and harder to stay in the shape that I want to be in. I'm a former cardio addict who has found when you get in your late 30s, cardio alone isn't gonna cut it anymore. I was thin but lacking the definition in my lower body that I wanted. So I added strength training to my regimen a few years ago and every DVD I bought and every women's fitness article I read focused on light weights and heavy reps. I didn't wanna bulk up like a body builder, just wanted my legs to show that I work out as hard as I do!

After a few years of killing myself with lighter weights, heavy fast reps that used momentum, I was completely frustrated because I was getting NOWHERE! I also had been pretty sickly the past couple of years, getting sick once per month and exhausted all the time even though I ate relatively well and continued to work out. Some days I was working out 2 hrs per day!!

Add to it that I cracked my rib in December 2011 from one of my monthly sinus infections that had a nagging tickle cough that didn't stop for THREE straight days so I couldn't work out at all through the month of January and modified cardio only 3 days per week in February. I came across ChaLEAN Extreme and Shakeology through a Facebook friend and figured maybe for the first time in my life I would actually follow an entire FITNESS PROGRAM rather than individual DVDs where I chose what I wanted to do and left the rest behind. ChaLEAN Extreme focuses on slow, heavy reps with failure between 8 and 12 reps, depending on the phase. I followed the ENTIRE program, including pushups, which I used to hate and am growing to like, and loosely following the nutrition guide by adapting the general ideas into my own life.

My starting weight was 137 (I'm 5'7") and my ending weight is around the same at 136. My goal was NOT to lose weight but to replace my body fat with muscle and rev my metabolism by adding muscle. I'm turning 40 in a few weeks and am preparing for the slowing metabolism and impending muscle loss that comes with aging. I have more energy, my IBS symptoms are MARKEDLY improved and I haven't gotten sinus infection since March, about a month after starting Shakeology and right around the time I started ChaLEAN. I feel better, I look better and am hopefully ready to start P90X next week!

Here's some pics of my progress...proof that Muscle really does Burn Fat!!

10pwwsw.jpg

ixdus5.jpg

23u1npv.jpg

Replies

• Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!!! VERY GOOD RESULTS!!!
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Nice! You look great!
  • ag2ut
    ag2ut Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow! Way to go, lady!!! Congratulations!!! You look amazing! I'm doing Chalean Extreme now after finishing a round of P90X and you're so right: muscle burns fat and lifting heavy weights does not bulk you up - it makes you smaller and tighter! So happy for you and wishing you continued success on your journey! Thanks for inspiring others, too :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    :heart: GREAT JOB!
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Awesome results!!!!
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    Wow! Way to go, lady!!! Congratulations!!! You look amazing! I'm doing Chalean Extreme now after finishing a round of P90X and you're so right: muscle burns fat and lifting heavy weights does not bulk you up - it makes you smaller and tighter! So happy for you and wishing you continued success on your journey! Thanks for inspiring others, too :)

Thanks mama! You're looking great yourself and my plan was to do another round of Cha Ex after P90X lol...I'm following right in your tracks it seems lol
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm in my first week of Chalean Extreme and loving it! I'm so glad to see your post. You have some fantastic before and afters! Great job :)
  • Changemyfate
    Changemyfate Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your story is very motivating to me as I am also 5'7", although a few years older at 46 & and I too luv Chalene's workouts! I am working with Turbo Jam right now & love it - but, like you, I feel that I really need to be working on building muscles. I also have P90X and plan to start on it this Sunday. I am stuck in the 180's and haven't seen your weight since high school - but, I am going to just work on building the muscle right now, hopefully to improve my aging metabolism, and then I'll worry more about the weight # after a round of it. Thanks for sharing & motivating me today!
  • angelalawsons
    angelalawsons Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree. You look great
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Inspiring! Thank you for sharing. You're actually making me want to save up to buy this program. I want muscles too! You look GREAT at your age.

May I ask, were you a beginner when you started Chalean? I'm kinda a beginner and I have no muscle. So I know if I start I may be huffing and puffing out of breath.
  • ag2ut
    ag2ut Posts: 20
    Options
    You could totally do Chalean Extreme as a beginner! I wouldn't call it an "extreme" or "advanced" level program at all, but it can be challenging enough for anyone, really. You may find yourself using lighter weights and taking breaks or doing modifications, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!
  • onpurpose7
    onpurpose7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that it me helped me in my decision when I lost weight year ago I did the firm and lost the weight so easy. This time 9 months from 40 it is taking some time to get it off. So now per your post I will rev up the weights to burn baby burn. My daughter is starting Insanity next week so we will see what goes on with that. Thanks for the post we love Chalene and our goal is to go to Camp Do More next year.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! How long is the program?
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    Wow! Your story is very motivating to me as I am also 5'7", although a few years older at 46 & and I too luv Chalene's workouts! I am working with Turbo Jam right now & love it - but, like you, I feel that I really need to be working on building muscles. I also have P90X and plan to start on it this Sunday. I am stuck in the 180's and haven't seen your weight since high school - but, I am going to just work on building the muscle right now, hopefully to improve my aging metabolism, and then I'll worry more about the weight # after a round of it. Thanks for sharing & motivating me today!

No problem mama! I'm gonna friend you so that we can support each other thru P90X...you can def do this!
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    Inspiring! Thank you for sharing. You're actually making me want to save up to buy this program. I want muscles too! You look GREAT at your age.

May I ask, were you a beginner when you started Chalean? I'm kinda a beginner and I have no muscle. So I know if I start I may be huffing and puffing out of breath.

It's a good program for beginners b/c you can modify everything and use resistance bands rather than dumb bells if you prefer. I'm not a beginner to working out but wasn't very good with weights so I def think it would be great for a beginner!
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that it me helped me in my decision when I lost weight year ago I did the firm and lost the weight so easy. This time 9 months from 40 it is taking some time to get it off. So now per your post I will rev up the weights to burn baby burn. My daughter is starting Insanity next week so we will see what goes on with that. Thanks for the post we love Chalene and our goal is to go to Camp Do More next year.

Wow...that's terrific! I'd love to do Camp Do More!!
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    You look awesome! How long is the program?

It's a 90-day program....I will send you a friend request so you can ask questions...
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Way to go! You look excellent!
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    I'm in my first week of Chalean Extreme and loving it! I'm so glad to see your post. You have some fantastic before and afters! Great job :)

Thank you and wait till Push month...that was my fave month lol :)
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I just bought the program so am very excited to read this. What weight did you use for the workouts?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!