Sushi suggestions, please?

AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
My husband just told me he's taking me out for a surprise date tonight, out for sushi! I do like sushi but I have had it maybe a handful of times. I did do a search but the problem is that since I am not familiar with sushi I don't really know what I'm looking at - the only thing I know for sure is I like spicy tuna rolls so I am planning on ordering those.

I prefer sushi to sashimi and the restaurant does not do brown rice - can you suggest any specific rolls? I am not so worried about calories as I am about sodium (I try to stay under 2000mg for the day at worst - I realize that's not always possible when eating out but I'd like to try).

Replies

• jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    There's no nice way to say this, it will ruin your sodium for the day. the only semi-solution is to bring your own low sodium soy sauce to the sushi bar but that is viewed as highly offensive. I love sushi too.

my strategy: order miso soup first to fill up on. miso soup is super low in calories and is supposed to help digestion. during the meal drink water instead of green tea to try to help the sodium go through. try to go easy on the soy sauce. and ultimately enjoy it :) Eat slowly, savor it and notice when your body is full.
  • AsellusReborn
    I have only been drinking water since I started this except for the occasional treat of tea or something, so that's no big deal. A little depressing on the sodium though, I try so hard to keep it down! :(
  • jadedzen
    one day over is probably only gonna result in a scale fluctuation that will go away in a couple of days. :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member
    There's no nice way to say this, it will ruin your sodium for the day. the only semi-solution is to bring your own low sodium soy sauce to the sushi bar but that is viewed as highly offensive. I love sushi too.

my strategy: order miso soup first to fill up on. miso soup is super low in calories and is supposed to help digestion. during the meal drink water instead of green tea to try to help the sodium go through. try to go easy on the soy sauce. and ultimately enjoy it :) Eat slowly, savor it and notice when your body is full.

most of the places around here provide low sodium soy sauce.

Stay away from fried things, tempura or cream cheese or spicy mayo, the best thing you can do is eat very simple rolls like yellowtail and scallion , tuna roll , salmon rolls. Yes boring but still delicious and alt closer to healthy than the Black Dragon Bomb Roll
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Ditch the rolls. Get a big plate of sashimi. Chef's choice or pick your own. And a bowl of rice. Or, go with my favorite - Chirashi.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member
    Ditch the rolls. Get a big plate of sashimi. Chef's choice or pick your own. And a bowl of rice. Or, go with my favorite - Chirashi.

Agreed but she said she didnt like sashimi
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    If it's a surprise special date and not something you get regularly... get what you want and enjoy the hell out of it. Don't waste a nice night out on mediocre sushi.
  • chloenmiller
    chloenmiller Posts: 40 Member
    I LOVE spicy tuna rolls. They are my absolute favorite. Sushi is also my favorite food, so I go quite often. I always get a spicy tuna HAND roll, with no rice. I also get some ahi tuna and albacore sashimi. Then, I usually get another hand roll, either: veggie with no rice, or spicy tuna hand roll with no rice.

TIP: Make sure they make the spicy tuna with no mayo.
    P.S. You will notice, (if you have had sushi before), that you will be less bloated and "stuffed" if you don't have that much rice!
  • jadedzen
    If it's a surprise special date and not something you get regularly... get what you want and enjoy the hell out of it. Don't waste a nice night out on mediocre sushi.

This
  • AsellusReborn

most of the places around here provide low sodium soy sauce.

Stay away from fried things, tempura or cream cheese or spicy mayo, the best thing you can do is eat very simple rolls like yellowtail and scallion , tuna roll , salmon rolls. Yes boring but still delicious and alt closer to healthy than the Black Dragon Bomb Roll

I'll be sure to look for low sodium, thank you! And thank you for the other suggestions. I am looking at their menu online right now.

I knew I was going to hear that! :) If I ate it regularly I would, that is the part I enjoy though. I'm trying to find the best way to do it for a treat with it still being a treat but not screwing me up.

Oh I plan to enjoy! But I'm still pretty new to watching nutrition info seriously - I guess I would really like to keep on track if I can :) Thank you though, I definitely appreciate that.

Thank you all for the feedback!

EDIT:
    I LOVE spicy tuna rolls. They are my absolute favorite. Sushi is also my favorite food, so I go quite often. I always get a spicy tuna HAND roll, with no rice. I also get some ahi tuna and albacore sashimi. Then, I usually get another hand roll, either: veggie with no rice, or spicy tuna hand roll with no rice.

P.S. You will notice, (if you have had sushi before), that you will be less bloated and "stuffed" if you don't have that much rice!

They are my favourite too! This place doesn't list mayo for them so I think I am okay. I actually like eating these without added soy sauce & wasabi so I plan to eat around them mostly, with them being my primary food tonight since they're my favourite anyway and don't seem to have a lot of sodium. I don't see the hand rolls on their menu unfortunately, but I know the other place we went to does them so I will try those next time, thank you!
  • sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Miso soup is loaded with sodium, so I would skip it. You can get a salad with ginger dressing or edamame beans (steamed soy beans) with no salt for starters. Then just pick a roll that lists ingredients you like. Many have items such as avocado, cucumber, or roe (tiny fish eggs). Smoked eel is often in rolls, it's mild & yummy. You can skip the soy sauce completely and avoid TONS of sodium. Drink lots of water. You will be fine! Enjoy!
  • AsellusReborn
    Miso soup is loaded with sodium, so I would skip it. You can get a salad with ginger dressing or edamame beans (steamed soy beans) with no salt for starters. Then just pick a roll that lists ingredients you like. Many have items such as avocado, cucumber, or roe (tiny fish eggs). Smoked eel is often in rolls, it's mild & yummy. You can skip the soy sauce completely and avoid TONS of sodium. Drink lots of water. You will be fine! Enjoy!

I think actually I will skip the soy sauce, I usually don't use much anyway and I don't use any on my favourite kind so maybe that's just the easiest way to do it, especially since short of bring a measuring spoon into the restaurant I don't know how much I'd be using anyway, haha! I forgot to respond to the Miso soup above, I actually wasn't a huge fan the last time I tried that so that's easy to skip.

I -think- going through their menu and entering some into MFP ahead of time I've picked some I like that will keep me on track calorie wise and sodium wise. Thank you -all- for the help!
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member

Spicy Tuna rolls RULE (not sure nutrition wise, but they are SO good!)
  • yesi911
    yesi911 Posts: 15 Member
    I always struggle ordering healthy rolls because a little thing can be so high in calories. I appreciate your suggestions and will try them out next time I go to my favorite sushi spot.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    I say blow the sodium limit and enjoy your sushi. Your body will clear out excess sodium eventually and there is really no way to enjoy sushi without soy sauce in my opinion!

That being said, avoid rolls with mayo-based sauces and those that are deep-fried (tempura) to stay at a reasonable calorie intake.
  • AsellusReborn
    Huh, everywhere I look online lists spicy tuna rolls as having negligible sodium content. Can that be correct? That just seems weird.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    The sushi itself probably has low sodium. It's the soy sauce that's high.

And unless you have medical issues, the only problem with excess sodium is that you might have a temporary increase on the scale if you retain fluid. Stay off the scale a few days if seeing that would bother you. It has nothing to do with fat loss.
  • AsellusReborn
    I know that sodium does not cause real weight gain, but I also know I've felt better eating less of it even if it's hard to keep that number down since everything seems to be packed with sodium, hah! I'm not going to sob if I do happen to go over, but if I can eat food I like without killer sodium content then I would just prefer that :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    protein and veggies, no rice.
  • Stats wise I usually get Spicy Tuna Rolls, California Rolls, or some kind of veggie roll (as long as it isn't tempura).