Sushi suggestions, please?

Options
2»

Replies

• twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    Dragon Rolls are my fav. When I have them, I tend to not care for my totals for that day since I do not eat it regularly.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i went for sushi last night... i was healthy but not overly dramatic.
    i had miso soup... yes a lot of sodium but low calories
    ebi ebi - cooked shrimp roll
    alaska roll

was like 500 calories for it all. and yeah, i had soya sauce. a lot. haha
  • OAvalos
    OAvalos Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love the Crunch roll... its shrimp with avocado cucumber and rice... its so light tasting and yummy!!! they also have low sodium soy sauce at most places now.. and just a TIP ... i don't add the wasabi to my soy sauce...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I always struggle ordering healthy rolls because a little thing can be so high in calories. I appreciate your suggestions and will try them out next time I go to my favorite sushi spot.

High calories =/= healthy. Two very different considerations for food choices.
  • Timmyttt418
    Timmyttt418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    philidelphia roll, volcano roll, spider roll, crunchy roll, rainbow roll!
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    Anything with Unagi (eel) in it is a winner in my mind. Earlier this week I had what was called a Godzilla roll, with Unagi AND crab. I tongue-gasm'd with every bite.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Check out MFP food database. The are calorie counts for a ton of different sushi rolls! Pick from the list and go have fun!
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    Go with something like cali rolls or philly rolls that have veggies in them and if possible don't use soy sauce unless you have to! Most important thing to remember.....is have fun and enjoy!!! Sounds like you have a great husband!!
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    If it's a surprise special date and not something you get regularly... get what you want and enjoy the hell out of it. Don't waste a nice night out on mediocre sushi.

This

I agree, too. As long as you don't do this regularly, one day of not paying as much attention is not going to throw you off track at all--unless you eat 3500 calories of sushi in one sitting, you won't even gain a pound (except, as others have noted, in water weight due to the soy sauce). So take this ONE night to enjoy yourself. And you can do it occasionally throughout your new lifestyle. It's a nice way to keep from feeling like you're completely denying yourself, which often leads to binge eating anyway.

I'm allergic to soy, so I eat my sushi without soy sauce. I make up for it by adding just smearing a little wasabi on the fish. Makes it nice and spicy without making me feel bad that I'm missing out on the decadent sauces.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    If I am going to a fancy sushi place, nuts to healthy eating, but at my usual sushi place that I frequent 1-2 times a week, this is what I usually do:

- request the low-so soy sauce, and mix in a huge dollop of wasabi, it's quite spicy but it keeps me from going overboard on the soy sauce. I also eat lots of ginger.
    - Order my usual tuna sashimi, and instead of rice I eat it with spinach gomaae (cold steamed spinach mixed with a sesame paste dressing, its pretty tasty)
    - Fill up on miso soup, and edamame beans.
    - Spicy tuna hand rolls, hold the rice, extra cucumber. Sometimes I get them to add avocado too, which is heavenly
    - Allow myself one order of nigiri or 4 piece roll - If I have the calories, the place i go to makes a tuna sushi "pizza" - deep fried rice, with tuna, spicy mayo, scallions and masago. SO GOOD.

AVOID: California rolls (mayo and usually imitation crab which is so processed and full of sugar), tempura, teriyaki chicken which has quite a bit of sugar in the sauce.
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have my favs but when we go out we just get the sushi boat. It has 36 pieces on it so you get a sampling of rolls and sometimes nigiri. It fills us up and we get to try new ones. We have never had the same thing twice. That would be a good option if it is available at your sushi place.
  • Rory_123
    Rory_123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't soak your sushi pieces in soy sauce, and get a pot or 2 of green tea and drink it throughout the meal. Avoid the deep=fried rolls and tempura crunch.
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love sushi; yellow tail is my favorite. I used to soak my sushi in soy sauce, but since trying to watch my sodium I have learned to use the wasabi as an alternative. I just put a tiny bit on the chopsticks and then pick up the roll. Flavor, spice, and everything nice. If they have ginger ice cream it is fun to try too. I don't like ginger, but the few times I have had it as a ice cream flavor I like it. Also, green tea is supposed to be a great tea in the aid of weight loss. :o)
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The spicy sauce in spicy tuna contains mayo. Most places I've been to were very accommodating about my order for "spicy tuna without the mayo, only the spicy sauce (which is usually sriracha)." It makes a difference of about 120 calories according to sushi calories websites. Rainbow sushi roll is a killer and so is dynamite sushi. Its about 400 odd cals for 4-5 pieces. Simple rolls with no cream cheese and fried anything are good. You cannot help the sodium though. Even if you're using low sodium soy sauce, the rice, hot sauces, etc. all contribute to a high sodium meal. I'm always 2-3 pounds heavier the day after I gorge on sushi.