Is anyone here from the UK?

Options

Replies

• Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK! I know what you mean about the food..I'm really gutted we don't get Squash spaghetti over here, looks like a great alternative to pasta!

this is something I would love to try

You can buy the squash in season here, and make your own http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AK1KRZG8pg

I'm definately going to keep my eyes peeled for that come autumn.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK and living in the US and I still struggle with the cup measurement.

Its a measure of volume, but a cup of packed flour is 20% more than a cup of sifted flour, how can we bake with that inaccuracy.

Fortunately my wife started stocking our book shelves with Hairy Bikers stuff, other BBC recipes and the Be-ro cook book. I even bought her a scale with grams.

Eventually the colonists will work out weights and measures :laugh:
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    2 of my best investments are my scales and cup measures, oh and 3rd best the teaspoon measures

One cup of flour is circa 100grams
    One cup of rolled oats is 90grams

The cups also have ounce and ml measures on too which is good for wine measurements
  • nichojanes
    nichojanes Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've seen a good sounding recipe for low cal brownies that calls for Apple Sauce and Liquid Egg white. I am guessing that liwuid egg whites is just the same as normal egg whites. I'll try just making some stewed apple and blending it for that.

Going to try it anyway and see how it goes.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i live in the uk but found peanut butter powder on line, its expensive 10 pounds a jar but as a treat its supper
  • Mollyanna79
    Options
    What do you do with it?
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK but I live in France and have done for ages so I haven't heard of lots of stuff on here AND uk stuff too!!!
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Im from the UK, London to be specific Havent really used the recipe part as i manly just tweak recipes from sites like the bbc etc.

Feel free to add me :)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    What do you do with it?

I think most people mix it with no fat Greek yoghurt to create a creamy spread

Not sure though!
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm not from the UK : ( ... but wish I was! I think it's pretty nifty that this site pulls together so many folks from all over the globe.

I couldn't resist since spaghetti squash is one of my absolute favorite foods to prepare to add this link to the string. More information then you'll ever need to know about this veg, but it has a very good photo and it might make it easier for you to identify at the market. http://www.allaboutspaghetti.com/spaghettisquash.html.

Also, here's another substitution for baking instead of applesauce. Try canned pumpkin ... just make sure it's plain pumpkin without any spices (like the ones you throw in pie filling).
  • gogogulliver
    gogogulliver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have never seen canned pumpkin here. I asked in my local health food shop and they told me they used to stock it but it was prohibitively expensive. So, nice try but not an option for most of us. I used to have a load of American friends living in England (they have since dispersed), and canned pumpkin was one of the things they were annoyed about not being able to find.

How is applesauce different from stewed apples? Could I just cook a load of apples til they go smooshy and call that applesauce?

Anyway - Hi! I'm originally from Lewes (in Sussex) and now live near Bath.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have never seen canned pumpkin here. I asked in my local health food shop and they told me they used to stock it but it was prohibitively expensive. So, nice try but not an option for most of us. I used to have a load of American friends living in England (they have since dispersed), and canned pumpkin was one of the things they were annoyed about not being able to find.

How is applesauce different from stewed apples? Could I just cook a load of apples til they go smooshy and call that applesauce?

I've never managed to find canned pumpkin either
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options

I've never managed to find canned pumpkin either

Tesco's was selling it for a while, but I guess it wasn't popular enough, my mum has to pick it up while she is over here now
  • gogogulliver
    Options
    I've used pumpkin that I've shoved in the oven until it's gone soft and then gone at it with a potato masher or a hand blender until it was mixable. It's a bit of a faff (you have to dismember and de-seed a pumpkin...) but it is such a good flavour that it's worth it for special occasion things. Usually the week after Halloween when they're all dirt cheap...
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You guys are making me feel bad for you : ( That's a lot of extra work ... Kudos for all the extra effort you go through just to eat healthy.
  • horra14
    horra14 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi

I'm from the uk!! And looking for support please add me if u like :-)

Sam x
  • Jacksy57
    Jacksy57 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    HI

I am from the UK and new here too.

In answer to the question about cups, you can buy the cup measurements in supermarkets they come all attached together on a ring, not that expensive to buy.
  • gogogulliver
    Options
    You guys are making me feel bad for you : ( That's a lot of extra work ... Kudos for all the extra effort you go through just to eat healthy.
    Screw healthy, pumpkin chocolate cake tastes GOOD.

Also, when I went over to New York last year a friend of mine asked me to bring over several things from England that you can't get there, so it works both ways.
  • jimbo2180
    jimbo2180 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Im from sunny old Stoke on Trent UK! Im nearing a week on MFP. Love it so far. it keeps me in check :P
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    im in uk :)