Just curious, how do you guys feel about gastric bypass

Options

Replies

• AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Why do you assume everyone here is uneducated? The fact that we DON'T want the surgery and are taking other measures first prove that we have some education about it. I personally said this is my opinion, and this isn't the option for me, but you clearly didn't read the posts, just as quick to judge as everyone else.:ohwell:
  • kwoodson94
    kwoodson94 Posts: 37
    Options
    I am now waiting for a gastric sleeve . I am disabled have bad knees and weight about 495 I hate myself and if I don't get the help I need I know how much longer I'll be here
    I had the sleeve Aug of 2011. I lost 50 lbs. I need 2 hip replacements and have severe arthritis in my spine and neck. It helped to lose those 50 lbs and now I am learning new habits and feeling like I have a chance. Unless someone has been in this situation it is very difficult to understand. I have never regretted the decision, have had zero problems with it. What is does is limits my food intake but it is my choice what I put in my mouth. I just want you to know that I do understand where you are at. There is hope for you, :flowerforyou:
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm SO glad to see so many opinions on something that several of you making negative comments have NEVER done or probably even researched. Keep your negativity to yourselves. The EASY way out? The EASY way out? Seriously... *kitten* you and the horse you road in on! I had bypass surgery 15 months ago and NONE of it was easy and it STILL isn't. It is a long process from the time you make the decision to the day you die.

You have to go through a million medical tests, nutrition classes, seminars and groups before you can even get approved (rightfully so). Then there is the actual surgery prep of liquids only that can range anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks to strink the liver before surgery. Then there is recovery which is the worst pain I have ever endured. Then there is the emotional pain of knowing you will never again get a "cheat" day without the effects of getting physically ill.

Did I need the surgery? YES! I had a BMI of 43, I was depressed, had physical problems, and anxiety attacks. It was the BEST thing I have ever done for myself and I would do again 100 times! It has made me learn to eat correctly and given me a new lease on life.

Maybe you all should talk to those who have had it, and do what they are SUPPOSED to do once they've had it and see what you think then... It is not a band-aid for obesity, but a tool. An amazing, amazing tool that saved my life.

Yes I am rather shocked at the immense negativity toward a life saving operation. I think some of it stems from jealousy to be honest. I know before I had it, I rationalized not needing it or having it in many of the same ways. Meanwhile I was dying. For those who have lost hundreds of pounds naturally I applaud you but you are the exception to the rule and not everyone has the same will power you have. Instead of quoting unnamed studies about alcoholism to bariatric surgery how about cite the innumerable studies linking uncontrolled obesity to death.

Surgery is a personal choice and I fully support your right to try and lose weight naturally but you are doing others a grave injustice with this rhetoric.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    My wife and I looked into that option and discovered during the consultation sessions that without restricted caloric intake for life afterwards, the weight is generally regained anyway.

So our thought was "why not just do the restricted caloric intake anyway and skip the surgery."

It's working so far.

I agree
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    * shielding myself from the negativity* I find it to be an easy way out if there is not something medically wrong. Now, if you have thyroid issues, are so overweight that you are unable to loose the weight alone, etc etc etc, than it's a wonderful tool! However, too many people get it and do NOT change their eating habits after, in turn, gaining all your weight back!

I know MANY people with thyroid issues who undereat in fact a lot of hypothyroid people don't "feel" like eating much or even moving much because of their issues, so getting a lapband would never help a hypothryoid person lose weight. The less they eat, the less they lose weight.

TO OP: I have no problem with anyone wanting to do that with bettering their health, it is a good tool to use. I do know people with no health issues and even actually gained weight so they could qualify to get it, I have no idea I would not want to...but some people just don't want to work out or believe in themselves or believe they can cut back on food I guess. I think that there are some people in my life I know that will never workout, never cut back on food and I wish they would do it to save their lives and help them live longer, but it is a difficult process and not easy (the person I know who did it was low on iron/anemic and supplement issues, very ill, gaunt, too thin, etc.) so it does not come without problems (and you can get intoxicated easier, etc.)
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options

They are finding a correlation between weightloss patient and alcoholism (it was on nightline a month or so ago) the thing is whether it is food, drugs, alcohol, whatever.. if you have one of these additions you never get rid of it... Once an addict, always and addict... You just learn to replace the addition with something else... That is why addicts can be clean for years and fall of the wagon.. They are saying these weightloss patient never got to the root of their problem with food and since they are unable to eat the quantities of food they once could they are turning to alcohol and because their plumbing has been severely changed they are able to metabolize the alcohol faster which enables them to consume more (basically they don't stay drunk or buzzed long and can consume more)... They are just finding cases of this over the last couple years now that this weight loss surgery has become so popular.... It was quite an interesting report.... Might google it and find some info on it...

Eh, I don't really buy into this. It doesn't really make sense to me how alcohol and weight loss go hand in hand. Though I was my skinniest in my adult life when I was drinking a fifth a day. Maybe that's the key LOL.

It has to do with the absorption. Since so much of the anatomy is removed.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm SO glad to see so many opinions on something that several of you making negative comments have NEVER done or probably even researched. Keep your negativity to yourselves. The EASY way out? The EASY way out? Seriously... *kitten* you and the horse you road in on! I had bypass surgery 15 months ago and NONE of it was easy and it STILL isn't. It is a long process from the time you make the decision to the day you die.

You have to go through a million medical tests, nutrition classes, seminars and groups before you can even get approved (rightfully so). Then there is the actual surgery prep of liquids only that can range anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks to strink the liver before surgery. Then there is recovery which is the worst pain I have ever endured. Then there is the emotional pain of knowing you will never again get a "cheat" day without the effects of getting physically ill.

Did I need the surgery? YES! I had a BMI of 43, I was depressed, had physical problems, and anxiety attacks. It was the BEST thing I have ever done for myself and I would do again 100 times! It has made me learn to eat correctly and given me a new lease on life.

Maybe you all should talk to those who have had it, and do what they are SUPPOSED to do once they've had it and see what you think then... It is not a band-aid for obesity, but a tool. An amazing, amazing tool that saved my life.

This! And I second...FU and the horse you road in one. this is (for most) the hardest decision they will ever make and it can change their lives!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I would rather not do it... After you get these lap bands and other things, you have to get more surgery to get rid of the extra skin! Minus well just lose weight naturally so that you skin can shrink with you. You save lots of money!

The surgery doesn't cause the skin sag, the weight loss does.
  • konalove3
    konalove3 Posts: 79
    Options
    i disagree with those surgeries for what youre saying 100%. my friend has family members that are like the poster family for gastric bypass AND lapband (gaining weight back after GP so then they get the band). He has a member in their **20's*** whos gotten gastric bypass and now is getting the band cuz they gained weight back....theyre like maybe 50 lbs over weight MAX. I highly doubt its that much. (i don't know what kind of doctors they go to to allow this cuz don't you need 100+ to lose for the band???)
    it just makes me sad mostly to see that some people feel like this is their only option and that they're not capable of eating healthy and exercising to the point where they can't even bring themselves to try, and having doctors push these surgeries aren't helping anyone either.

the people here on MFP are so inspiring, and a constant reminder that it IS possible and you can do it!!!!
  • kwoodson94
    kwoodson94 Posts: 37
    Options

I am so glad you bravely posted this remark. I had the bariatric sleeve which is subject to all of the same tests, etc... I did not have too much pain afterword though. ANYWAY....so happy for you! I would do it over and over and over again! I lost 50 lbs quick which allowed me to walk without a walker or go in a wheelchair for the first time in a very long time. I still need 2 hips replaced but God willing I will lose even more first so I can heal properly and have a new chance at life. I cannot even go on an airplane to visit my grand children now. I hope to be able to do that in the future. Good for us!!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

Yes I am rather shocked at the immense negativity toward a life saving operation. I think some of it stems from jealousy to be honest. I know before I had it, I rationalized not needing it or having it in many of the same ways. Meanwhile I was dying. For those who have lost hundreds of pounds naturally I applaud you but you are the exception to the rule and not everyone has the same will power you have. Instead of quoting unnamed studies about alcoholism to bariatric surgery how about cite the innumerable studies linking uncontrolled obesity to death.

Surgery is a personal choice and I fully support your right to try and lose weight naturally but you are doing others a grave injustice with this rhetoric.

AMEN!!! I struggled with the decision for 5 years! Meanwhile, I was just yo-yo-ing. Making my situation so much worse...
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I think if a weight problem endangers someone's life, they should absolutely get it. Gallstones, kidney stones, and other bypass side effects can be addressed later on, if they even present themselves. It shouldn't be allowed for someone who is too lazy , too impatient, or too unfocused to lose weight in a healthier way, and it kind of incenses me that most people who get this procedure really don't need it. I mean, it's their business and their money to spend, but why would someone do this when all they have to do is eat healthier and move a little more?
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I considered it for a time, then I saw how people go back to how they used to act/eat and even do worse (drugs, alcohol, etc.). Other people developed infections and someone my mom knew died while having gastric bypass surgery. Also, insurance may or may not cover it. So, I decided to do the right thing and make the changes myself. This was the best decision I ever made and would never regret it. Yeah, it takes time, but your body will thank you for it later.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate....

For those who listen to their surgeon, accept and acknowledge that there must be total life/diet changes implemented post surgery, and who actually DO what they need to do in order for these procedures to work.....BRAVO! Yes...you're right, in those instances it can be lifesaving.

I'm not judging anyone, just giving an opinion, as asked by the OP, and speaking from what I've observed with many, many, many friends, co-workers and family members who've had weight loss surgery.

Never, never, NEVER did I say it was an "easy" fix....it's anything but and for those of you who it genuinely helped, congrats on doing what YOU needed to do in order to be happier and healthier.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking... being cut open and having a portion of your stomach removed/bypassed/constricted/stapled or otherwise mutilated should be a last resort. Too many possible complications that could endanger your health or even your life (and I've known 5 people who have had surgury... 2 of them had serious complications, one life altering)

Sadly, We live in a fast food, instant gratification society that focuses on the here and now and not the long term big picture. Nutrition, Counselling and Exercise is a far better combination treatment for obesity.

Explore the reasons why you are overweight or obese. In most cases it is about the lifestyle choices we make (and I'm not talking about thyroid problems or other medical problems either). Poor dietary choices and lack of exercise are a tandem for ill health.

We choose convenience foods over real/nutritious foods. We choose the quick road and forget to walk and smell the roses.
    We all believe we can have the silver bullet that allows us to relax on the couch, eat cheesies or potato chips and still be healthy. It doesn't work that way despite what the TV says. The advent of consumer electronics has distracted us from motion and still offers us visual reminders of what the cultural ideal is.

Imagine if everyone in Canada and the US turned off their TV's and Computers and just moved 30 minutes more in a day. How much more productive would we be? How much healthier would we be.

Although not directly related to your question, I've done this myself...Here is a challenge to everyone here.. We'll call it a social experiment?

TURN OFF, UNPLUG and DISCONNECT for an hour a day. No Electronics during that hour. Do this for one week.

Spend the time eating a proper meal at the dinner table, engage in discussion with your family or a friend or go for a walk. Swim, Cycle, Run, Play football with your kids. Just do something other than stare blankly at a screen. Use the time to build a relationship and to work on your health.

Come back to me in a week... tell me if something didn't just feel good about it. Feel free to friend me. I'll be your advocate thru this.

I think most people will be surprised by the results.

Rant over.... Let the Challenge begin!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    oh boy - here we go. Yes, I had gastric bypass surgery and lost 165 lbs. 4 years ago. I'm now trying to lose even more weight. Believe me, it is NOT an easy option and yes, you have to change your lifestyle for the remainder of your life. If you are not ready to change eating habits, you are correct, the bypass will fail and fail miserably. For those of us who take it very seriously, it probably saved my life (high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid issues).

For those of you that have not gone through these procedures, please don't judge. And someone who wants to gain weight to be able to have the surgery, most likely will not pass the psychiatric evaluation requirement.

Thanks for letting me share the positive side. :flowerforyou:

I know 4 people who've had weight loss surgery. One is a close friend, 2 are people I met through her--all 3 of them had health issues. It is not an easy way out, for sure. My friend lost about 80 from the surgery, 60 on her own, and is still working on losing more weight; she's completed 2 half marathons...the other two people are at a healthy weight, one is training for an Ironman and the other just did his first trail marathon. They are good examples of people who continue to work with their doctors and do "all the right things" in order for surgery to be successful. On the other side of that, I have a neighbor who had the surgery and continues to eat a lot of crap and has gained lots of weight back--it's unfortunate. I won't judge what other people do, because for the 3 people I know who are successful WLS folks, it has been a life saver. And insurance did NOT pay for it. (at least in my close friend's case)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Last resort when your life is in danger from being obese.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've known a few people who've had it done and here are the results:

1. One lady still can't hold down food and vomits everyday.

2. One lady did not change her eating habits so she went from being morbidly obese to still being obese. Her weight loss stalled since she wouldn't change her diet.

3. One lady gained all her weight back and to see her you would never know she had a gastric bypass.

4. One lady had a lap band done and although she has lost weight, she is malnourished and looks very unhealthy. Her skin sags and she looks like she's aged about 10-20 years just in the last several months. She also looks very unhappy and has really brittle hair.

I'm not knocking it, but working in the medical field, I have seen far too many people get it and they were not even seriously overweight. Many times people don't look at the long term picture of overall health. I don't believe it's an easy way out because the long term effects on health are not easy. I've seen people have gastric bypass and have to have hernias repaired as a result of the surgery, or have to the surgeries revised, or subsequent health issues. That's not the easy way out by any means. However it is a CHOICE. I've seen people on this very site that were 400-500lbs lose weight w/ diet and exercise alone, so it can be done.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Why do you assume everyone here is uneducated? The fact that we DON'T want the surgery and are taking other measures first prove that we have some education about it. I personally said this is my opinion, and this isn't the option for me, but you clearly didn't read the posts, just as quick to judge as everyone else.:ohwell:

I've read a lot of misinformation here from people who haven't had the surgery and obviously haven't researched it. Hearing this or that from a friend who had a bad experience doesn't count as "researching." Dumping and vomiting, for example, are not complications that occur with the band. Studies have been done correlating alcoholism with bypass patients, but not with sleeve and band patients. If you're really interested, do a MedLine search.
  • jenirobinson
    Options
    I have actually had 8 friends who have had some sort of weight loss surgery. (by-bass/lapband) Out of those 8, one has been sucessful in keeping off the weight. (but it has only been 7 months from his surgery) The others have gained the weight back, plus more and one has become an achololic. She traded her food addition for another vice. I feel that in order to achieve a sucessiful permanent weight loss WITH or WITHOUT surgery, you have to be willing to completely change your life for the better.

I would have loved to have surgery!! Who does not want a jump start or helping hand with weight loss?? But if you are not in the mind set that this is a life change, no amount of surgery will help.

I have lost 65 pounds with another 50 pounds to go. I am a long way from my goal but I have changed my life. I eat clean and exercise daily all with the help of MFP and not surgery. It can be done the "hard way" and I love myself more for doing it all on my own.