Just curious, how do you guys feel about gastric bypass

Options

Replies

• DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking... being cut open and having a portion of your stomach removed/bypassed/constricted/stapled or otherwise mutilated should be a last resort. Too many possible complications that could endanger your health or even your life (and I've known 5 people who have had surgury... 2 of them had serious complications, one life altering)

Sadly, We live in a fast food, instant gratification society that focuses on the here and now and not the long term big picture. Nutrition, Counselling and Exercise is a far better combination treatment for obesity.

Explore the reasons why you are overweight or obese. In most cases it is about the lifestyle choices we make (and I'm not talking about thyroid problems or other medical problems either). Poor dietary choices and lack of exercise are a tandem for ill health.

We choose convenience foods over real/nutritious foods. We choose the quick road and forget to walk and smell the roses.
    We all believe we can have the silver bullet that allows us to relax on the couch, eat cheesies or potato chips and still be healthy. It doesn't work that way despite what the TV says. The advent of consumer electronics has distracted us from motion and still offers us visual reminders of what the cultural ideal is.

Imagine if everyone in Canada and the US turned off their TV's and Computers and just moved 30 minutes more in a day. How much more productive would we be? How much healthier would we be.

Although not directly related to your question, I've done this myself...Here is a challenge to everyone here.. We'll call it a social experiment?

TURN OFF, UNPLUG and DISCONNECT for an hour a day. No Electronics during that hour. Do this for one week.

Spend the time eating a proper meal at the dinner table, engage in discussion with your family or a friend or go for a walk. Swim, Cycle, Run, Play football with your kids. Just do something other than stare blankly at a screen. Use the time to build a relationship and to work on your health.

Come back to me in a week... tell me if something didn't just feel good about it. Feel free to friend me. I'll be your advocate thru this.

I think most people will be surprised by the results.

Rant over.... Let the Challenge begin!

Been doing this since 2009..........and it works miracles. :)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Last resort when your life is in danger from being obese.

Yes... but being cut open and not addressing the root causes will not help either.

I had a BMI of 45. I literally worked my @S$ off and dropped over 100 pounds. I'm not condeming a medically necessary procedure.

I am saying explore everything else first.
  • kwoodson94
    kwoodson94 Posts: 37
    Options
    My sister did it in 2003 (gastric bypass). The outcome? She has gained back MOST of the weight. She had to have her gallbladder removed and hysterectomy, as well as 2 hernia surgeries not long after (coincidence?). She then became addicted to pain pills, then alcohol after she lost access to narcotics. She got 2 DUIs and lost her licence. She then lost her job and her ability to practice law in NC. Nope, don't recommend bypass. She also has BAD problems absorbing vitamins and is constantly anemic.

Don't forget the extra skin you are left with after losing 100+ lbs. Her health ins paid for the bypass, but would not cover the sagging skin as it was not causing enough infections to warrant it, but she couldn't wear a bathing suit or anything because the sagging skin was so bad.

When you have gastric surgery you are warned over and over to not drink alcohal. Mainly with the by pass, it can be leathal. I am so sorry about your sister but maybe her addiction to food was cross addicted to alcohal.
    We are all different people and have to live our individual lives. I am open to any questions, and discussions if they are based on human interest or learning. But the feel of this is not so. Before you judge and post an opinion, educate yourself on the facts. See what the process involves. I am not talking about lap band because my hospital (UCLA) does not approve of them and will not do them.
    I'm sorry to hear about that :( trying to do what she thought was right and it ended so badly. That's really too bad that happened to her. I can't say I'd blame the drinking and DUI's on a bypass, that's purely one's choice to drive drunk. Lucky she didn't kill herself or innocent bystanders or other drivers.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking... being cut open and having a portion of your stomach removed/bypassed/constricted/stapled or otherwise mutilated should be a last resort. Too many possible complications that could endanger your health or even your life (and I've known 5 people who have had surgury... 2 of them had serious complications, one life altering)

Sadly, We live in a fast food, instant gratification society that focuses on the here and now and not the long term big picture. Nutrition, Counselling and Exercise is a far better combination treatment for obesity.

You have to go through an exhaustive screening process to be approved for WLS, including psychological analysis, working with a nutritionist, counseling, and an exercise program...in my case it was required for at least 6 months. Many surgeons mandate that patients lose a significant amount of weight before surgery to show that they're really committed. It's not about "instant gratification," believe me.
  • African_Safari
    African_Safari Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have not had it but I know a lot of people who did. I think that sometimes the need for weight loss is more than just medical need. Being an obese person is very difficult. You are subjected to emotional and physical abuse because of it. You may feel alienated and depressed.

I applaud the work of people who strive for size acceptance, but for many this is not enough. Losing weight isn’t 100% about health, it is, for many, about self worth. I can understand that. I might not feel the same for myself, but I don’t pass judgment.

Ditto!!!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I'm SO glad to see so many opinions on something that several of you making negative comments have NEVER done or probably even researched. Keep your negativity to yourselves. The EASY way out? The EASY way out? Seriously... *kitten* you and the horse you road in on! I had bypass surgery 15 months ago and NONE of it was easy and it STILL isn't. It is a long process from the time you make the decision to the day you die.

You have to go through a million medical tests, nutrition classes, seminars and groups before you can even get approved (rightfully so). Then there is the actual surgery prep of liquids only that can range anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks to strink the liver before surgery. Then there is recovery which is the worst pain I have ever endured. Then there is the emotional pain of knowing you will never again get a "cheat" day without the effects of getting physically ill.

Did I need the surgery? YES! I had a BMI of 43, I was depressed, had physical problems, and anxiety attacks. It was the BEST thing I have ever done for myself and I would do again 100 times! It has made me learn to eat correctly and given me a new lease on life.

Maybe you all should talk to those who have had it, and do what they are SUPPOSED to do once they've had it and see what you think then... It is not a band-aid for obesity, but a tool. An amazing, amazing tool that saved my life.

THIS!! ^^ <3 Honestly, and I'm very sorry to even HAVE to say this, but anecdotal evidence from a few people you know about/heard about/read about does NOT equal knowledge/research/ability to dismiss everything and everyone else/the right to judge anyone.

I got my period at 9 years old, and gained 50 pounds in a year out of nowhere. I should even post the pics, it's crazy... so I started out with some sort of hormonal issue that was never addressed because my mother preferred to call me a fat cow, which ballooned into self-hatred with the help of sexual abuse and being constantly followed home from school to be beat up and taunted for my weight.

Yep, I had lots of issues that I have worked HARD over the years to fix within myself. But somewhere along the way, my body COMPLETELY lost the ability to let me know that it was full. The signal just was not there. I did everything under the sun and moon and stars to lose weight. I was over 200-250 pounds for over 20 years. Surgery WAS the last resort for me. And it was the BEST thing I ever did for myself. Easy way out?? What in the ENTIRE ****? Do you imagine it's some kind of surgical Easy button? I ****ing WISH. I have the lap band, and yep, there are things I can't eat sometimes, but you know what? I "put myself through" that because this is what I and my doctors decided was best for me, and oh, look, it has been successful. I have a medical device IN MY BODY that necessitates me to be followed by a surgeon for the rest of my life. Yep, I have to be careful of what I eat. I STILL have to do the work. But this provides me with the help that I needed. It is a tool that helps me know when I am full. It is AMAZING. But, like any tool, how it works depends ENTIRELY on how I use it. Obviously, if I was capable of "just doing it," I would have. I am glad that some people can. But you have no right to look down on others who cannot.

The people that fail with weight loss surgery are almost universally people who DO NOT FOLLOW THEIR PLAN and change what they need to. Period. If they are getting surgery thinking they will get a quick fix, they will FAIL. It is not quick. It is not easy. And it is kind of dehumanizing, honestly, to be told that I took the easy way out. As if I am not good enough because i was unable to do it on my own.

I know that nothing I say will change your mind, but I just had to say my piece. I'm done here, but I appreciate anyone who got through all of this.

*edited quickly to say that my insurance COMPLETELY paid for my surgery, minus my $250 hospital stay co-pay, and they also paid office visit co-pays for the first 6 months of follow-up with my surgeon. And I had a RIGOROUS 6-month+ evaluation process.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    I've known a few people who've had it done and here are the results:

1. One lady still can't hold down food and vomits everyday.

2. One lady did not change her eating habits so she went from being morbidly obese to still being obese. Her weight loss stalled since she wouldn't change her diet.

3. One lady gained all her weight back and to see her you would never know she had a gastric bypass.

4. One lady had a lap band done and although she has lost weight, she is malnourished and looks very unhealthy. Her skin sags and she looks like she's aged about 10-20 years just in the last several months. She also looks very unhappy and has really brittle hair.

I'm not knocking it, but working in the medical field, I have seen far too many people get it and they were not even seriously overweight. Many times people don't look at the long term picture of overall health. I don't believe it's an easy way out because the long term effects on health are not easy. I've seen people have gastric bypass and have to have hernias repaired as a result of the surgery, or have to the surgeries revised, or subsequent health issues. That's not the easy way out by any means. However it is a CHOICE. I've seen people on this very site that were 400-500lbs lose weight w/ diet and exercise alone, so it can be done.

Lady #1 needs to see her doctor RIGHT AWAY. Vomiting daily is not ok with any weight loss surgery.
    Lady #2 wasn't fully committed to changing her lifestyle. It's not the surgery's fault.
    Lady #3 -- same as lady #2
    Lady #4 needs to see her doctor and her nutritionist immediately. No one with a lap band should have any malnutrition problems...that's one of the great things about the band. She's clearly making bad food choices and needs help.
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options

You have to go through an exhaustive screening process to be approved for WLS, including psychological analysis, working with a nutritionist, counseling, and an exercise program...in my case it was required for at least 6 months. Many surgeons mandate that patients lose a significant amount of weight before surgery to show that they're really committed. It's not about "instant gratification," believe me.

Yes and no. If you have the money... you can have it done with minimal questions asked. One of the people I know who has had it done... did so abroad on a "medical vacation".

The Lapbanding process is widely available as is commercialized medicine.

Largely, the process you describe depends on the district in which you live and is subject to state\provincial medical boards.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am now waiting for a gastric sleeve . I am disabled have bad knees and weight about 495 I hate myself and if I don't get the help I need I know how much longer I'll be here

Please don't hate yourself. It's okay to hate your situation, hate the state of health you're in right now, and maybe even hate what brought you to this point and what it's going to take to get you back. But don't hate your SELF. Take all the hate for all those things and realize that you love yourself enough to do what it takes and fight every inch (or pound) of the way!
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I am now waiting for a gastric sleeve . I am disabled have bad knees and weight about 495 I hate myself and if I don't get the help I need I know how much longer I'll be here

Do WHATEVER you need to do to get yourself healthy again. But in the meantime...Start trying to do something for yourself...For starters...Even if you are not actively trying to modify your diet or lower your calories...LOG YOUR FOOD IN ANYWAY.....Next...get yourself some supportive friends....There is a whole group of people on this board...myself included with a (100+lbs to lose)....Most of those people have sailed in the same morbidly obese boat that you are in now. Stop hating yourself...You can change.
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options

Do WHATEVER you need to do to get yourself healthy again. But in the meantime...Start trying to do something for yourself...For starters...Even if you are not actively trying to modify your diet or lower your calories...LOG YOUR FOOD IN ANYWAY.....Next...get yourself some supportive friends....There is a whole group of people on this board...myself included with a (100+lbs to lose)....Most of those people have sailed in the same morbidly obese boat that you are in now. Stop hating yourself...You can change.

QFT -> You are correct... the support is here. People will help you.
  • African_Safari
    Options
    [/quote]

How does it have anything to do with alcoholism? And yes, it is a choice. You pick up the bottle, that's your choice, no one else's. I've been there. I struggled with that, I can speak from experience. I drank a fifth of vodka every day for over a year. It was MY choice. I didn't look for an out. My father is an alcoholic, I didn't blame it on him. It was my choice and mine alone to start drinking. My choice to stop also. And as dumb as I was with my drinking, I NEVER not once, got behind the wheel. Bottom line-- it's a choice you make.
    [/quote]

SORRYT HE QUOTE THING DIDNT WORK SO WELL!!

As you know....for overweight people...food is our addiction, there's no buts or if's about it.. When you get the surgery, your body cannot take in all the food you are used to (in the beginning). Everyone getting the surgery should be very careful about shifting addictions. It happens all the time... now you are addicted to other things, shopping, alcoholism, working out. I've heard it all. It's like a smoker trying to quit and need something in his mouth. My own father picked up a lot of weight because he stopped smoking and turned to lollipops and sweet stuff. You are right, it is a choice. We all have choices but we also all make mistakes. THAT choice might have been out of desperation, a crutch to lean on because of no support. THAT is why we are all here. To get support in whatever choices it is that we make in our lives.

For everyone, it's their personal choice whether they are going to get surgery or not, it is not just a physical and medical journey, that gets you to the point where you just cannot take it anymore. It's an emotional journey as well, where you feel alone, looked upon, an outcast, depressed, suicidal, no selfesteem, no self worth, hopeless...

People do different things for different reasons, all we can do is support, support, support... Good luck to one and all whether you have a bit to lose or a lot! At least when I am here I know that I am NOT alone:flowerforyou:
  • estrada3d
    estrada3d Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    ive seen people do it and they do drop a ton of weight, but they have all this access skin and stuff and it just looks weird.
  • African_Safari
    Options
    Why do you assume everyone here is uneducated? The fact that we DON'T want the surgery and are taking other measures first prove that we have some education about it. I personally said this is my opinion, and this isn't the option for me, but you clearly didn't read the posts, just as quick to judge as everyone else.:ohwell:

I've read a lot of misinformation here from people who haven't had the surgery and obviously haven't researched it. Hearing this or that from a friend who had a bad experience doesn't count as "researching." Dumping and vomiting, for example, are not complications that occur with the band. Studies have been done correlating alcoholism with bypass patients, but not with sleeve and band patients. If you're really interested, do a MedLine search.

EXACTLY!!! Totally agree with you
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Even without health issues, I see why people who believe they can't lose and maintain without it would go through the pain and risk, because society treats obese people terribly. However, the more research I do on these surgeries, the more I think they're not nearly the fix-all people think they are and that it's better to avoid these surgeries if a person's health is otherwise decent at a high weight.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

and yet some people who get it don't give a crap and get it for nothing. If they can lose weight BEFORE the surgery, if I were the doc, I'd say no, you can keep doing what you just did. That's just me.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    ive seen people do it and they do drop a ton of weight, but they have all this access skin and stuff and it just looks weird.

Anyone who loses a ton of weight and is over a certain age has excess skin. It's not the surgery's fault.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Anyone who loses a ton of weight and is over a certain age has excess skin. It's not the surgery's fault.

Exactly! Nearly anyone with a LOT of weight to lose, even if it's done slowly, will have loose skin, especially if they were overweight for a long time. It's taken me over 2 years to lose 86 pounds (and I've only lost 42 since my surgery, in 7 MONTHS - not fast at all) and I do have loose skin. I'd rather be saggy, weird-looking to some, but healthy than plump and miserable. But maybe that's just me..
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't pass judgement on people who have had it done. Everyone needs to do what is necessary to live a happy life. I do feel that unless they fix what is in their head, it will not work. If they think in their head, I will do this and then I won't have to worry about being overweight, they will gain the weight back unfortunately. But the people that get their head around it and heal what is hurt, they can add years to their life.

My mother in law, who lives with us, my sister in law, and my brother in law all had GB. My brother in law and sister in law did it the right way. They paid attention during the psychiatric evaluations and got the help they needed to get their mind ready to do the surgery. They are both very active. My sister in law has participated in a few half and full marathons. They eat healthy now. They have both kept off all the weight. My sister in law had it done about 5 years ago, as well as my mother in law. My brother in law had it done 7 years ago. My sister in law was also younger and didn't have all the excess skin.

However, my mother in law didn't take any of the psychiatric portion to heart. She said what she had to in order to get the doctor to give her the go ahead, but she dismissed everything. She still thought in her head, I don't have to work at it this way. She chooses to eat beyond the allowable limits and vomits nearly every meal. She takes multiple vitamins every day and still her levels are way below normal. She is not active, sitting in front of her computer or lay in bed watching TV. Sadly, she has gained back almost all the weight. She wasn't ready to put in the work and make the necessary life changes.

My girlfriend had the lap band done in November. She has lost a bunch of weight and is doing fantastic. She is at a healthy weight for the first time ever in her life. I cannot be more happy for her.

For those that feel that weight loss surgery is the easy way out, they are wrong. It is a life style change. It is just as much work, if not more, than someone who is losing it naturally. But at least the option is there. Without it, some people would just give up and most likely die much sooner than necessary. Not everybody has the will power that is necessary and it is not their fault.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If you don't understand why people do it, you've obviously never been that desperate to lose weight. I was 40 and had never been able to control my hunger no matter what I did. Was I supposed to keep doing the same thing and expect different results? That's the definition of insanity.

I have the LapBand now, and I'm losing weight slowly and have had no complications. I can eat anything I want, but the hunger is much less. It's controllable, and I can choose what I'm eating. Never assume that everyone feels the same hunger the same way you do or can lose weight the same way you can. Every body is different, and what works for one person will not work for another. Weight loss surgery is definitely not an easy way out. It takes hard work and persistence to lose the weight even after surgery.

Try having a baby and then having that baby prefer anyone but you because you can't carry him around or play on the floor with him. Or think that you won't be around to see him grow up. I was desperate, truly desperate to lose weight, and I knew I couldn't live with the sheer hunger I felt every minute of the day. You don't know what I went through or how I felt, so please don't judge people who have WLS. Just accept that you don't get it but that some people need it.