I've gone 'skinny fat' the wrong way..!

Options
I'm new here and a bit scared of being shouted down for using the wrong words to describe my situation... so please bear with me.

I'm really teeny and always have been - my wrist measurement is 5 1/12 inches and it has been much smaller.

The thing is, I've always been skinny but I am also anaemic and amenorrhoeic due to my size and I have been put on various pills along the way and told that I was 'lucky that I could eat what I liked and not had to worry about it'

So... I've ended up being what I would call 'flabby' and I don't like it!

I'm always going to have a really small frame and I'd like my skin to be tight around my frame but it seems that this is not 'allowed' on this site because I'll be accused of being anorexic or willing to put myself into starvation mode in order to attain the perfect bod

If anyone out there could give me some safe and knowledgeable advice then I would welcome you with open arms

I have a pic of the torso that I'm looking for but there's no way I'm posting it publicly (!)

Thank you for reading x

Replies

• goatfishtwo
    goatfishtwo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time finding a question in here. What do you want advice on exactly?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Can you do some strength training, weight lifting? Talk to your Doctor about that. It's the best way to put on the right kind of weight (muscle) and get rid of being "skinny fat".

If you have amennorrhea it means you are definitely underweight and something has to be done. That was one of the turning points for me and although I hated gaining weight it was for the better in the long run.
  • Mrs_McGann
    Options
    Sorry... like I say, I'm new at this.

I'd like to be 'firm' not 'flabby'
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    So you are naturally skinny but also a bit flabby? I think thats what you are trying to describe? I also think that you are trying to say that you don't eat much and will continue not to if it means that you get to stay skinny.. Correct?

My suggestion lift weights and eat to support your weight lifting efforts.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    " I have a pic of the torso that I'm looking for but there's no way I'm posting it publicly (!)" Why???? What's wrong with the picture? Is it inappropriate?

Since you're skinny and don't need to lose weight. I would suggest a very balanced, calorie rich diet, plenty of protein, carbs and fat. That along with a good strength training program.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    start lifting!
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Strength training and protein!
  • Mrs_McGann
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses...

I eat loads because I was bullied for being skinny all my life. It's just that I have a really small frame and it's starting to look a bit flabby and I'd like to be 'toned' but not bulky

I think that I need to maybe do a bit more googling and then come back here x
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses...

I eat loads because I was bullied for being skinny all my life. It's just that I have a really small frame and it's starting to look a bit flabby and I'd like to be 'toned' but not bulky

I think that I need to maybe do a bit more googling and then come back here x

I think people here have answered your question. If you don't want to be flabby, you should work on building up a bit of muscle mass. Not like body-builder crazy big muscles, but enough to give you what you are looking for- tone.
    And, as other people have poster, then eat to support your weightlifting. Add in plenty of protein, good healthy carbs, and whole foods.
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    your best bet they have a mfp group on disorders/ anorexia etc on the groups . the people there are much more understanding.
  • Mrs_McGann
    Options
    "they have a mfp group on disorders/ anorexia"

I don't understand why you think I have a disorder because I'm coming from a different angle - that is of being underweight all my life?

Am I not allowed to be here because I'm not overweight or I don't have some other weight 'problem'?

I'm just trying to be healthy and fit... yikes!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest starting a heavy lifting routine (such as in the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women or Jamie Eason http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html) and eating a well balanced diet to support your new activity. :) You need enough protein and calories to build muscle.

You will not get bulky or look like a body builder through lifting heavy. Instead, you will get rid of the "flabby" look and replace it with a toned lean look. :D That's what you are looking for I think?
  • NoChub4Me
    NoChub4Me Posts: 27
    Options
    If you are already very small but very flabby, I'd say you need to exercise. Especially heavy lifting. Dieting down to the bone won't look pretty, but nice strong muscles will.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym (either home or commercial) to start a lifting program? If not, you might consider body weight training or other forms of resistance training to move toward the look you want. However, heavy lifting is the ideal. :)

I have to make due at home for now, as I currently do not have access to a gym. I'll be hitting the weights as soon as I can though! I'm planning on getting a trainer when I do get to that point, so I know that I have proper form (I'm a bit injury prone... and a klutz :P).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    easy to fix (well not easy, there will be SWEAT and some hand callouses :laugh: )

eat at maintenance and LIFT HEAVY THINGS 3 times a week.

do compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, bench presses and front squat push presses.

check stronglifts.com, starting strength (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs ) and new rules of lifting for women

and sorry to hear you've been bullied for your weight. start lifting some heavy things and next time you can knock those people out :smile:
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying...I have a friend who has always been skinny, but she was also flabby. She ate everything that didn't move too fast. I don't think I ever saw her without Doritos or a Dr. Pepper. I haven't seen her in years, so I don't know if that ever changed. What would change it is exactly what people are saying...lift some weights. Don't worry, as a woman, you will NOT get big and bulky, body-builder looking. You will tone up the sagginess. I have been meaning to check out the book someone else recommended, New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. MIght be a good place for you to start. Good luck on your journey! :smile:
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    do some resistance training and eat more protein :)
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, and eat more protein. It takes years and years of training and lifting heavy (+20lb) weights to get bulky, and from your genetics it seems you probably are going to maintain your size but firm up. Eating more doesn't = eat what you want, just use common sense about this stuff, the amenorrhea is a sign that you're unhealthy, so supplements and vitamins will help. I'm also very petite and trying to get fit. Ignore the comments you don't like, and do what's right for you, the body is very generous, so be good to it and it will be good to you :)
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm in a pretty similar situation. Or started there at least, I'm getting better now, I recommend eating well, and a good calorie amount and doing strength training...a bit of heavy (heavier weight low reps), a bit of light (lighter weight, higher reps) Look at body strength exercises too, and circuit training.

I was too skinny and did have to put on weight, now I'm trying to build more muscle so I'm also trying to eat a good amount of protein. Eat at a maintenance level at least, if not a slight surplus.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Agreed that you need to gain muscle. You won't get huge like a body builder. The most you'll gain is about a pound of muscle a month and maybe 0.3 to 1 pound of fat per month.