Stretching

Options
Bare with me, I'm an exercise virgin hahahah.

Ok, I've done 2 days of the 30 Day Shred and my muscles are sooo tight that I feel like I just need to sit and stretch all the time.

Now my question is: how often do you stretch and what do you do to stretch?

You ALWAYS hear older people saying "I wish I would have stretched more when I was younger" and I'm young, so I thought I'd start now if I do it properly lol

Replies

• markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I hardly stretch ever :( I'm fccking up
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I do yoga, you can look up stretching exercises online otherwise:)
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Only stretching I do is during yoga. Maybe once or twice a week. Other than that, I don't stretch before I lift weight or do cardio.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I stretch before every workout whatever muscles I am using. I didn't in the past but it left me with a lot of injuries. I try to stretch each muscle for at least 30 seconds before the workout.
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    I've always been told that you need to do about 10-15 minutes of light warm-up excersize, like a brisk walk or slow jog, THEN stretch - all the major muscles, and each stretch sdhould last for at least 12-16 mississipi's :)

I don't stretch before running or race-walking, I just do some slower walking or brisk walking (depenmding on the level activity I'll be stepping it up to after my warmup), but then I'm very acreful to thoroughly stretch as part of my cool-down. This is because I was recently warned that if you stretch beforehand your muscles may nto be warmed up enough and it can actually do more harm than good.

I've never done the 30-day shred, but ti sounds like you're just achey? make sure you warm up and cool down thoroughly, eat plenty of protein to help repair & build the muscles, and take rest days (if the programma allows for that? :S) Also try a nice hot bath, always helps my aches!
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    I do the stretching with the video. Other than that, I don't do anything. I was also sore for teh first 3 days. Today was my 4th day and I feel way less sore.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I LOVE stretching, I stretched for 25 minutes today lol.

You want to make sure your muscles are warm to get the best stretch. You also want to breath into the stretch, so like doing a stradle, you want to exhale as you're reaching for your toes, for example. Take it slow and don't force it. And when you have the extra time, just sit and relax into the stretch for as long as you can. After a good long stretch you may find yourself reaching further than you ever have before, because your muscles are more relaxed and able to flex further.

The end stretches in 30DS are good, but I like to hold them longer, and really get into it. Do whatever feels good to your body and don't force yourself too hard into any stretch.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I love stretching throughout the day. BTW, your profile picture - WIN.
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch outside of my workouts. If you lift you can lift slowly and stretch. Most injuries happen within a normal range of motion anyway... that extra bit you add doesn't really prevent injury.

If you are sore, real tight feeling and all... that is probably a build up of lactic acid which comes from keeping your muscles in an anaerobic state for a prolonged period. Stretching won't prevent that either. What you need to do is work through it. It will go away with a bit of light exercise. Eventually you won't feel so much soreness and you will be able to increase the intensity of your exercise if you desire!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I stretch before and after every strength training session, and I stretch before every run I go on.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I love stretching throughout the day. BTW, your profile picture - WIN.

Tehehehe thanks!
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I stretch before every workout whatever muscles I am using. I didn't in the past but it left me with a lot of injuries. I try to stretch each muscle for at least 30 seconds before the workout.

I have always stretched and at 44 have never had an exercise related injury....
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I stretch before workouts and after every so many sets just to prevent any chance of cramping and again post workout,.
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    First off, thirty day shredders...DO NOT do the quad stretches the way Jillian does. Puts too much torque on your knee and leaves you more prone to injuring it. That said, as an older person, I have found that just adding 15 mins a day of stretches has REALLY relieved a lot of my aching/stiffness issues. I also stretch before any activity/workout. Hope that helps!
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I go to Body Balance once a week which is a combination of yoga and pilates.When I go to x-bike classes the instructor makes sure everyone stretches at the end of the class and I aways stretch after I've been running. I really enjoy stretching and it's great for flexiblity too.
  • kettle_belle83
    kettle_belle83 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I can't stress the importance of stretching enough!!! After suffering a few exercise related injuries I made stretching a part of my routine for every single workout! Flexibility is one of the major components of physical fitness and stretching will increase flexibility dramatically. www.acefitness.org/pressroom/325/ace-lists-top-ten-reasons-to-stretch
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    First off, thirty day shredders...DO NOT do the quad stretches the way Jillian does. Puts too much torque on your knee and leaves you more prone to injuring it. That said, as an older person, I have found that just adding 15 mins a day of stretches has REALLY relieved a lot of my aching/stiffness issues. I also stretch before any activity/workout. Hope that helps!

i don't know where you found that darling baby on your ticker, but i love it! omg i want that cute baby!!!!

okay so anyway to the question..... i never stretch before a work out. i found that i have to be extremely warm before i stretch anything or i end up injured. some people believe in cold stretching, but i'm not one of them. i can do the splits, backbends, every crazy yoga you can think of, but the only way i can do it is if i am completely and totally warm!!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I stretch at home right before i go to Tae Kwon Do, and we then stretch before class. It takes me about 10 minutes to really loosen up.
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

i don't know where you found that darling baby on your ticker, but i love it! omg i want that cute baby!!!!

okay so anyway to the question..... i never stretch before a work out. i found that i have to be extremely warm before i stretch anything or i end up injured. some people believe in cold stretching, but i'm not one of them. i can do the splits, backbends, every crazy yoga you can think of, but the only way i can do it is if i am completely and totally warm!!

You just really made my day!! That is my grandson. Thank-you for your kind words.