What to do for exercise!?

Options
chivalryder
chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
Hello all,

I'm looking for a new way to start getting back into exercising. I'm not particularly interested in strength training, as I'm not particularly interested in building muscle. I know the advantages of doing so, but I've always been interested in endurance sports where having any more muscle than necessary is a drawback.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good, fun, full-body cardio workout. Key word being FUN. I used to be into mountain biking which was a huge adrenaline rush for me. I guess that's kind of what I'm looking for now. I can't afford a new mountain bike now, so doing that again is out for now.

I have considered Zumba, but I can't find a place that offers it near where I live.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• chivalryder
    Options
    bump
  • byebyeluvhandles
    byebyeluvhandles Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Get Zumba DVDs if you can't find a place near you.
  • EllyG08
    EllyG08 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Try Jazzercise (since you've considered Zumba)!

It's a lot of fun. The music is great, I find that my workouts pass by so quickly, because I am enjoying myself. Not sure where you live, but you could possibly be the only male in the class, but hey that can be beneficial ;)
  • ikoiko33
    ikoiko33 Posts: 43
    Options
    I found the Zumba DVDs on sale at Best Buy some time ago …

Is there a YMCA near where you live?? They typically offer Zumba classes, as do some martial arts schools.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I might give Zumba at home a try, using youtube or something. I think I'll feel kind of silly doing Zumba in my living room. We'll see.

I live in a small city (150 000 people). The YMCA offers a few programs. I'll see what I can afford.

I certainly wouldn't mind being the only male. ;)
  • ikoiko33
    ikoiko33 Posts: 43
    Options
    I live in a small city too … fortunately, the YMCA in my area is quite affordable, and most of the classes (Zumba included) are included in your membership fees.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Hey Zumba is some fun stuff! As far as end. goes... you'll want to toss in some maintaince type str training. Doesnt need to be hittin the bench press and ripping out 100 reps at 100lbs. Just to maintain your strength levels.
  • jrmst82
    jrmst82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In my city, the YMCA has financial assistance (discounted membership) if your income isn't too high.
  • tenten427
    tenten427 Posts: 8
    Options
    Do you have a Playstation or an X-Box or something? Because I know they have Zumba on PS3 and other systems :)

Also, check your local buy and sell for mountain bikes. You can probably find one pretty cheap.
  • kershaann
    kershaann Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I have always liked Billy Blanks tae bo, I had bought a 5 disc workout for $10 at walmart. It is very nice and a lot of cardio makes for a good sweat.