Unsaturated Fats..?

Options
Why are the targets for polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats set so low? (For me they are 0.) I thought these were the "good" fats and that a certain amount was therefore good for you, to an extent..?

Replies

• Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I'd like to know what's a good amount to aim for with polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. My saturated fat goal is 19g a day, but MFP leaves the others at 0. My macros are set to 30protein/30fat/40carbs. Hopefully there will be some feedback on this.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I just read that you should consume no more than 10% of saturated fats of your total calorie intake, then rest of the fat should be unsaturated fats.

So your intake is 1380, 10% of that is 138 calories, divide it by 9 which is about 15g of saturated fat. So say if you had a 30% fat intake you should get at least 31g of unsaturated fat.

You will have to research which fat is the best; poly or mono and decide which one you want to consume the most, otherwise, just split them in half.
  • Alishaxmarie
    Options
    Thank you very much Zichu; I'll definitely have to research the difference between poly- and mono- unsaturated fats lol
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Zichu! I'll be doing some more research too.