The stupid thing bit me!!

Options
I was on my morning run today almost to my driveway, when my neighbors little (maybe 4 or 5 pound) dog ran out, I ignored it as I always do, he is always running loose, when all the sudden the stupid little thing grab a hold of my ankle and would not let go.... I had to kick him off... and of course none of the neighbors were even around for me to yell at! LOL. I simply got him off my ankle and ran to my house... I called my husband ( a police officer) and he called his Sgt, and they sent someone out to talk to them make sure the dog had shots and that sorta thing.. I sound as tho I hate that dog, but I don't I think he is too cute for words, but some people should not have pets... If you are not gonna care properly for one, then don't get it. This dog runs outside in the heat in everyones yard, running into the street almost being hit by cars... Now sorry for the rant.... but does pepper spray work on most dogs?

Replies

• KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Human pepper spray can kill a dog. There is pepper spray specifically for dogs. However, It sounds like this dogs bite is not that bad, is pepper spraying it really worth it? it's a bit extreme! Talk to your neighbors yourself or keep calling the police if they do not change. You can also call the dog warden. Not the dogs fault that it has bad owners!
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Don't need pepper spray for a little thing. Just fill squirt bottle with water and spray its face when it come near you while saying no. Enough times of spraying it an you should be able to just say no.
  • dalygirl_2010
    Options
    yeah, it is not "THAT" bad this time... only a couple little stitches worth.. no big deal. and talking to the neighbors has not been working, otherwise it would not be still running loose. And I was not meaning just this one little dog. I meet others on the road that are aggressive. I need to be able to get away with out being bit.
    I am sorry I did not make that clear about being worried about other dogs and and it being a worse bite next time..
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    but does pepper spray work on most dogs?
    O yes it does. It turns the biggest meanest dog into a blind toy poodle. It takes all the fight out of them because they can't see or smell very well for a minute. I've witnessed this being used a few times and the dog instantly went to tail tucked cowering position. I wouldn't use it on a tiny dog but anything too big to kick away is fair game. It's non lethal and more humane than whacking it with a stick.

A small canister that you can carry in your hand isn't a bad idea to carry with you if you jog outside. Women afraid of being mugged can use it as self defense against people too. I highly recommend it.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have dogs so I understand your frustration. If one of my dogs attacked a jogger/walker/ or any person, I would expect that person to fight back. If you kicked my dog for biting you I would understand. I would have probably kicked it and I don't care how small the dog is. The small ones are the worst in my opinion.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree on the pepper spray. Could come in handy someday against more dangerous vermin of the 2-legged variety too.
  • AJTwiddy
    AJTwiddy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry U got bit I think little dogs are more likely to bite than most BIG ones I wrk with Dogs Please DO NOT USE HUMAN PEPPER SPRAY on any dog
    Directstop animal deterrent spray!!! (U can get it at Petsmart or almost any pet store)
    Stop an attacking animal in its tracks with this highly effective, safe and humane spray. Its revolutionary citronella formula halts low- to medium-level aggression from dogs, cats, snakes, raccoons, opossums, etc., without the harmful side effects of pepper spray. It also won't injure you if it accidentally gets into your eyes. (Not effective on bears.) Contains approximately 12 one-second sprays with a range of up to 10 ft.

If talking to the Neighbors is not wrking call the pound or local Human society Just make sure to tell them U know where the dog lives and try N snap a Pic of it out this way they will receive the ticket they disserve for not caring Properly for their pet!!!
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    1. As a dog owner with a well trained dog, I can't stand people who don't train their dogs. It's not the dog's fault, it's the owners.

2. Having said that, I can't stand tiny dogs. If you like, I'll bring my 90lb shepard over so she can eat that nasty little piece of fur for you.

3. If it comes near you again, just kick it and scare the crap out of it. If it knows you are not to be f*ed with, it will leave you alone. Dogs are pretty sensible that way, even the tiny, nasty, crazy ones.

4. A neighbor of mine (until they moved recently) had a small terrier with similar habits as the one you describe... We live on a busy street, and eventually the owners' lack of training got the dog hit by a car, which killed the poor thing. I was never crazy about that animal, but that's still a tragedy. I hope your neighbors do something before it's too late.
  • officer214
    Options
    In your State, and particularly in your County, allowing a dog to run at large off of the owner's property, is an infraction and in some instances it is indeed criminal. What some of these people that think dogs are more important that humans don't stop and think about is the fact that it's better that the dog get a dose of pepper spray (it will hurt the dog but it won't injure them - there's a difference) instead of getting taken away from the owner and put in the pound.

It's very true that in most instances the dog's poor behavior is due to idiot owners and not the dog. However, not taking steps to protect yourself immediately is also not the answer. After you're bitten is too late to address the situation. Everyone who thinks that pepper spray is so inhumane should try the following experiment: Place your child, wife, husband or other loved one in the path of a charging dog and let the dog do whatever it will. They can spray water or yell or kick if they want to but don't give them anything that might potentially "harm" the dog (better for them to get bit than the dog get inconvenienced.) Then, afterwards, address the problem with the owner. Let me know how that works out for you.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all responses so sorry if I repeat what was said. I had a similar incident not too long ago. Pepper spray is a must to carry when running, imo. Whether it is a dog or weirdo. Dogs have a very sensitive sense of smell so a direct shot is not needed and can really mess a dog up (permanently so I am told). My advice is to carry it always and if a dog gets too close for comfort, spray a short shot over its head. An indirect shot works wonders and nobody is permanently scared afterwards.

If a dog comes near me and isn't leashed by someone capable of controlling it, it gets sprayed (but not directly). I gave a dog the benefit of the doubt once and wound up getting rabies shots. If it comes at me aggressively, it is getting ia direct shot.

FWIW, I don't bike without it either.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    becareful i got bit by a dog and BAM i was snifin butts and trying to lick myself hummm noo noo that was two days before i got bit ,thats right nuttin really happened cept the bite was sore
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    On another note, get the stream, not the fog. The fog will just blow back in your face if there is even a slight breeze. Imagine being on the side of a road, with an agressive dog, and you are unable to see anything. The stream can have blowback too, just not as much.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Try tossing a couple doggie biscuts at it..... You may not be able to avoid him but you can at least change his response to you.
  • ndmain1977
    ndmain1977 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You know, I've looked, and looked for somewhere on the net where it says pepper spray is harmful for dogs because people in here are saying it is. I haven't found a single article that says that.

I've found plenty of articles that say not to use MACE on dogs, but I don't even know if they even make MACE anymore. I think some people are confusing MACE and pepper spray. Several articles have said that veterinarians developed pepper spray for the postal service since MACE could do some damage to dogs.

Just get a cheap small can of pepper spray. Wal-Mart even sells it. I bought the foaming kind, when I used to walk in rural areas, and had to spray a rottweiler once. It works.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    yeah, it is not "THAT" bad this time... only a couple little stitches worth.. no big deal. and talking to the neighbors has not been working, otherwise it would not be still running loose. And I was not meaning just this one little dog. I meet others on the road that are aggressive. I need to be able to get away with out being bit.
    I am sorry I did not make that clear about being worried about other dogs and and it being a worse bite next time..

We have the same problems here with people letting their dogs run wild. The neighbor has already lost 2 dogs to traffic and is stilllll letting her dogs run loose. Some people never learn. I love dogs and would never show such neglect. Did the owners at least apologize and pay for your medical expenses?
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    if you are scared of using pepper spray, put vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the dog with it (make sure you are on the 'stream' setting). They don't like the smell, and it won't hurt them.

pepper spray on a smaller dog can be too powerful for it and may disrupt its respiratory sinuses enough to cause suffocation and death.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that the dog bit you.
    If I were you, I'd hand your neighbors a copy of your medical bill from the stitches. They should pay for the damage their dog caused you. And if you had to miss work, I'd see if they could reimburse you for the missed hours/time. Maybe a financial issue would trigger a reaction in them that simply a discussion hasn't.

That said, I run with pepper spray. There is one house in my neighborhood where the dogs aren't fenced in or ever on a leash. It scares the crap out of me. Their big dog charged me a few weeks ago, and got sprayed. It stopped that dog mid-leap as it went for my arm protecting my face. The owners came out and yelled at me when they heard their dog howling. I called the local police station and the office who responded "reminded" them that they were at fault in the situation for failing to have their dog under control (fenced or leashed). Pepper spray does work, and might give you some peace of mind.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I LOVE dogs........on leashes or properly trained. My daughter loves animals, but shows a distinct fear of dogs because of dogs that have run up to her and/or jumped up on her. It is a shame that people make it your problem.

My SIL works in a Vet's office and she says that if a dog bites more than once they are supposed to be put down because they are deemed as a hostile animal. That may be the law in my state, I'm not sure.
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have 3 dogs. Chocolate lab, Doberman and Chihuahua.
    They are well trained. My yard is not fenced, they aren't chained. My dogs do not leave my yard.
    We have kids and adults running and playing past our property all the time. The lab lays on the porch, dobie in the driveway and Chihuahua will go to the edge of the grass, flop over on his back and wait for any stranger to rub his belly...he's a beggar..honest to God that's the quietest Chihuahua I've ever seen...

That being said ...IF any of my dogs were to even look crosseyed at someone passing our house, I'd kick their *kitten* myself. They know better. They have an acre here to run and play. No need to step a paw off it.

As for barking .....at night if they hear someone on the gravel drive, on the porch or the mailman, cause he brings treats.

I wouldn't own a dog that bit. I have kids, they have friends over. Not worth ANY risk. If any of mine ever bit I would put them down myself.

My moms dogs however don't listen at all. They run off. They chase people. They bark and snap nonstop. All she does is scream n yell at them.
    I can literally snap and point and my dogs KNOW what to do. Its all in the training.

And if my dog came at u, or bit u...I'd have no problem if u kicked the crap out of it.