A day off, or no day off??

Options
I have hated exercise always and have had a hard time getting into any kind of routine. And I have finally gotten into liking something. And I'm seeing results! But should I take a day off or keep going?
I'm having a hard time with my day off. Whatever I eat is like haunting me, lol.
Am I being crazy? Should I just give in and exercise?
Advice welcomed and needed!

Replies

• Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    My muscles need days off to recover. They are hurting for a rest if I don't have a break every now and then. The day after I have a rest day, my workouts are always better. I can jog longer and put in more miles on my treadmill. I'm having a rest day today. :smile:
  • abacorica
    abacorica Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I often wonder the same thing so looking forward to seeing more advice here. I made myself stay away from the gym today because I have an intense boot camp Sat/Sun but ended up walking with my neighbor for an hour at a brisk pace. Not sure if that counts but it was the closest thing I could get to a rest day. I guess my question is if cardio is ok on a rest day or does it have to be nothing at all?
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    They say a day off from exercising is good, but I need some exercise so I can eat what I want, lol. So, I do a different exercise. Our big thing is biking, but on one or two days a week, I'll sub mowing the grass (cuz it needs it) or gardening/housework (again, cuz it needs it) Still exercising, but working different muscles. Which hasn't hurt me any.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I take one day off from strength training, but that is the day I clean my whole house which takes about 6 hours. I also do pilates in the morning that day. I need exercise to boost my endorphins or I'm not as happy.
  • lovezies
    lovezies Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is just so hard! Lol I know my muscles need downtime but I'm really hating the not burning of extra calories in a day. I'm not sure I will make it through the day without some kind of exercise. :tongue:
  • Heidi64
    Options
    This is just so hard! Lol I know my muscles need downtime but I'm really hating the not burning of extra calories in a day. I'm not sure I will make it through the day without some kind of exercise. :tongue:

Not intending to be snotty, but did you read Katie and my posts? We take a day off from our USUAL exercise, but substitute some other form of exercise for it. Have fun!
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    No need for a day off if you rotate your workout just right. Currently 9 days into a 14 day rotation with no rest days. I feel great! I've worked my abs and lower back and ob. every day to the max and still going strong. If I can do this... so can you!
  • lovezies
    Options
    Thanks......but everyday I change my workouts. I make sure all of my muscles get worked in a week. And if you didn't want to sound snotty you didn't need to comment.
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Are you so sore you can barely move or have you worked out 6 days in a row? Then break for sure

Anything else I say do it :)

Even if you don't go too hard.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    A day-on, day-off routine is the best way to go at it. Your body needs to recover after any form of exercise.
  • FutureMrsWarby
    FutureMrsWarby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This is kind of a ridiculous question, but if you want to exercise and don't feel like crap....then..exercise..simple.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Those recovery days are pretty necessary especially if you're doing something tough! If you're afraid one day will get you out of a routine and back on the couch then do some light cardio - like a walk. Enjoy!!!
  • lovezies
    Options
    It's been six days. I think maybe some stretches for today. And hit it hard again tomorrow! Thank you! :happy:
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I like to take at least 1 day off every week, let my body rest and heal.
    This is just something you have to decide as you consider the state of your physical fitness by asking yourself are you tired? and so on. If you feel good and want to exercise every day then do so and maybe take one day easy exercise.
  • lovezies
    Options
    This is kind of a ridiculous question, but if you want to exercise and don't feel like crap....then..exercise..simple.

If you thought it was ridiculous you didn't have to respond. We are here for each other that's how we drop the weight. Not to make others feel stupid. Thanks.
  • Heidi64
    Options
    Thanks......but everyday I change my workouts. I make sure all of my muscles get worked in a week. And if you didn't want to sound snotty you didn't need to comment.
    What I was trying to say, was that I wasn't trying to be snotty, so please don't take it that way. I put it out there with all due respect in response to your comment about "This being so hard." You also did not mention that you change your exercises daily to work different muscle groups in your OP, so I agree with that one poster, if you feel good and aren't hurt/injured, exercise. The endorphins released are what makes us feel so good.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising to eat more or for endorphins or a sense of accomplishment, go ahead and do it daily. If you're exercising for overall health or to improve at your sport or activity, take an active rest day once a week or so. That doesn't mean sitting on the couch. Just change what you do, and do something less intense that uses different muscles.
  • abacorica
    abacorica Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am glad to hear that cardio or a different exercise is ok as a rest day when you are working towards weight loss as your goal. Thanks for asking the question I had all along!
  • FutureMrsWarby
    FutureMrsWarby Posts: 96 Member
    Options

If you thought it was ridiculous you didn't have to respond. We are here for each other that's how we drop the weight. Not to make others feel stupid. Thanks.

Usually this type of question is attention seeking...it's not that hard to answer yourself.