Lots of calories left for the day, but not hungry...?

Options
This doesn't happen everyday, but what should I do? Do I eat until I at least reach 1200 or should I just stay where I'm at? And what about eating the extra calories that come from exercising? I'm trying to eat 'clean' and whenever I do.... I have left over calories. Please help!!

~Echo

Replies

• HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert since I'm trying to figure this out myself (I am eating too little as well) but protein shakes/milk/almond milk are easy way to get calories if you aren't hungry. You could also add more high-calorie foods to your diet, like nuts, avocado, olive oil, full-fat dairy, dark chocolate in small amounts, etc.
  • Denise0211
    Denise0211 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods help get rid of belly fat?
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    None...Eating less calories then your body needs burns fat there is no magic food....eat, cardio, lift weights and stay under your calorie goal will rid of belly fat
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

OP, if it is just occasionally don't worry.

Denise, no foods target specific areas,
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This doesn't happen everyday, but what should I do? Do I eat until I at least reach 1200 or should I just stay where I'm at? And what about eating the extra calories that come from exercising? I'm trying to eat 'clean' and whenever I do.... I have left over calories. Please help!!

~Echo

Your diary isn't open, it makes it a lot harder to take a look and make suggestions. :)

Personally I tend to be higher on carbs, so if I need to eat up calories... I tend to use lean protein sources, protein shakes, or healthy fats (a handful of almonds is VERY high calories) depending on what I have remaining in my macros at the end of the day.

Edit: It depends on how far you're under as well... if you're under 1000, you really should probably be eating more or you'll stall your metabolism.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

~Echo

Don't worry about it. You may be extra hungry another day and it will all even out over time. Now if you are always below 1200 you may want to add some higher cal foods in, but one day doesn't matter.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

I hate the term "belly fat." Eating at a moderate deficit consistently will help you lose fat. The distribution of that loss is not under your control. It is determined by genetics and other physiological factors.

OP, don't force yourself to eat. I'll take your extra, I could use them today.
  • j2tyco
    j2tyco Posts: 42
    Options
    I see the calories number as just that a"number"-- and listen to my body-- If I am under for the day and simply not hungry I am not going to go eat something just to eat something and add to a number----but I am even in behavior, in that, if I am near or already at my calorie number and am feeling hungry then I make sure to give my body the fuel it is asking for (after having drank 8 ounces of water to be sure that I am honestly hungry and not simply thirsty)---if you are not under your calories often then it shouldn't be a big deal to just listen to your body and not eat (IMO)---as you go along each week you start to learn portion sizes that fill you up with items that fit nicely in your calorie range and it gets easier to stay close to that number. (at least it is for me)
  • MrsRando
    MrsRando Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    On days that I'm super low on my cals (usually weekends if I sleep in) I will drink a glass of milk or a spoonful of peanut butter. Not bad calories but a good 100+.
  • iloso
    iloso Posts: 156
    Options
    Try to fill the gaps with yogurt, fruits, (wheat bread), fiber bars, more fruits or just dont sweat it :) - just make sure it is not an everyday thing because you will be getting less nutrients and then weight loss becomes harder.
    PS: Also, I personally don't beleive in eating back exercised calories because it defeats the purpose of working out (In my opinion). However, find what works best for you :)
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry, just try and eat to your minimum and bank the rest. Otherwise don't, one day of under eating is not going to kill you either. JMHO
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I typically eat close to my allotted base calories. Some days exercise has left me in negative net for the day. I have not stopped losing weight, I have strengthened muscle, I feel great, I have a ton of energy.

I say... PHOOEY on eating calories just for the sake of raising a number!!

I am SO over the "starvation mode" concept!

To those who disagree, check out my profile pic. I am pretty sure I am doing this right!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

~Echo

Eat when you are hungry.
  • EchoKnight09
    EchoKnight09 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I typically eat close to my allotted base calories. Some days exercise has left me in negative net for the day. I have not stopped losing weight, I have strengthened muscle, I feel great, I have a ton of energy.

I say... PHOOEY on eating calories just for the sake of raising a number!!

I am SO over the "starvation mode" concept!

To those who disagree, check out my profile pic. I am pretty sure I am doing this right!
  • EchoKnight09
    EchoKnight09 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're doing it right! you look great! Thank you all for your advise. I think I'm not going to worry too much about the number and focus on how I feel. Thanks for the great food suggestions, I'll be using them (: