Any Celiacs out there? HELP!

Options
bpayne78
bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in March of this year and I'm kinda going through the whole "food depression" that I have seen a lot of people say they go through during the first few years after diagnosis. To top it off I would like to FINALLY get this weight off that I want gone. So I'm getting pretty frustrated with food and I'm an emotional eater. So this is NOT a good combination.

Any suggestions for recipe sites with Gluten Free food with minimal dairy? I know I can eat lots of lean meat and veggies/fruit (those are all naturally GF/DF) but I'm having trouble with stuff to take for lunches to work (I work at the child care at my sons' school so I eat with the kiddos). A girl can eat only so many sandwiches on bread that dries out WAY too quickly.

So again, any suggestions?

Replies

• cellokitty91
    cellokitty91 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey, have you tried Udi's bread? They're the best GF bread I've had so far.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with Celiac as well. I started added raw nuts like almonds, cashews, etc to my diet as well as kefir and greek yogurt (all recommened by my nutritionalist).

In addition, I started eating things like spicy red pepper hummmus with vegies and I added Garden of Life RAW protein powder to my daily shakes to up my protein without overloading my gut.

Gluten Free restaurants is a website you want to carry with you all the time. I have downloaded it to my iPhone.

www.glutenfreerestaurants.org

Another great website to have at your fingertips is www.gf-restaurants.com

Lastly, Outback is one of the best and most forward restuarants for Celiacs as they have an extensive menu for us including deserts and go great lengths to ensure we do not get "poisoned".

PF Change also has a gluten free menu, as well as, a totally divine chocolate cake that is GF!

Jason's Deli has a good GF menu and they make their own GF bread which is amazing. Better than Udi's! You will never guess it is GF!!!

Chipolte Mexican does gluten free, as well, and if you let them know when you are ordering you have celiac disease, they change out all the utensils, wash their hands, and change their gloves so there is no cross contamination.

One new place that I learned about today was Panera Bread. They have a very limited GF menu and if you don't use their dressing you can eat a few more of there salads.

P.S. One other note. Udi's was mentioned above. For some Celiacs (alot actually) we also cannot tolerate corn, pease and grains so bread becomes a big issue for us - even Udi's. I am one of those. You may find you need to cut out grains for a while including oatmeal until your gut heals a bit. But then again, grains may not be a problem for you. Just FYI ...

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Friend me if you would like to or want the extra help/encouragement.

Good luck. It does get easier and better.

Dominique
  • momofwolfpack7
    Options
    :smile: Hi there. Been on a GF (and mostly dairy free, too) diet for over 3 years. I have 7 kids and 2 are Celiac. I never had myself tested but have had so many issues resolve after goind G-free that I'm sure I'm at least gluten intolerant if not Celiac.

Anyway, I do a lot of salads w/meat for lunch. I also do meat, cheese, G-free crackers for lunch. If you have a microwave then you can just take leftover dinner from the night before. We eat everything from G-free pizza to enchiladas - really a normal diet sans gluten.

You'll adjust.

Feel free to message me if you have specific questions.

Tera
  • karenmetfan
    karenmetfan Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My best friend's daughter has celiac also. I found this site for her and made cookies from her to bring with me when I went for a visit. http://against-thegrain.com/category/recipes/

I follow her on twitter and found these (people she follows):
    http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/recipes/
    http://udisglutenfree.com/recipes/Breakfast/
    http://www.glutenfreefoodies.blogspot.com/

I did some google searches too and found some good sites with lots of recipes.

There are a few cake mixes she likes too. I think the favorite is Gluten Free Pantry Chocolate Truffle Brownie Mix. I made them to bring up once too and those are decadently delicious!

Good luck. It's tough in the beginning, I'm sure, but there are a lot of options out there for you. Lots of supermarkets are carrying gluten free options now too.
  • luchien
    luchien Posts: 15
    Options
    I felt the food depression for a while... honestly 6mo-1yr I was on and off the GF train. I finally decided it wasn't worth being sick and ditched the gluten food. I have been 100% gluten free for over a year and I can say not only do I feel much better but I don't miss the old food. Once I really linked that food to my illness I realized I didn't need to be sad for something that made me feel so ill.

I stock my pantry with my usual GF stuff- Glutino crackers, KIND bars and granola, Think Thin protein bars, Garden of Life RAW Protein Meal and Protein Supplements, & Chex cereal.

Applegate farms makes amazing gluten free sausage, turkey burgers, etc. If you have a microwave you can always bring those or leftovers.

I usually bring a variety of stuff for lunch ... hard boiled eggs, salads with fruit, yogurt, granola, cheese and GF crackers, hummus and veggies, turkey wraps with corn torillas, etc. I find that it becomes a routine after a while, and you will adapt to eating GF and not even thinking about it.

I don't really do the GF recipe stuff because most of it can be modified. I do though find some great recipies on pinterest that are GF for muffins, etc that are great for lunches!
  • bpayne78
    Options
    Hey, have you tried Udi's bread? They're the best GF bread I've had so far.

I've tried Udi's and will use it when I need something that is more "shelf stable". I have really liked Rudi's a lot but they are frozen/kept in the freezer. I guess that's why it dries out so quickly. :P
  • Abby55555
    Abby55555 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have had it for 5 years now. I do not eat meat. I try to avoid dairy and eggs. Coconut yogurt is great! I make smoothies in the am with it with hemp seeds. Lunch is usually left overs. Gluten free goddess has some great recipes:). Camping was hell for me!! Make brown rice your best friend:)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I am completely grain free, vegetarian, dairy free, with multiple allergies. I cook from scratch, eat fruits, veggies, beans, potatoes and sweet potatoes, what nuts and seeds I can. To find gluten free dairy free options, search for GFCF. Lunches are easy if you can just take leftovers of the night before's dinner. Feel free to ask for any particular recipes you need.
  • gabcab71
    gabcab71 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, there! I have not been diagnosed but I have gone G-free on my own due to food sensitivities and digestive issues.
    I've found I can tolerate Udi's whole grain bread and the cinnamon raisin but I have to watch how often I include grains in my diet. They all seem to gang up on me and I can't eat pizza any longer ... not even G-free! It can be depressing but it sure is nice not to feel sick all the time!!!

Anyway...I've made a few website connections that have been helpful ... glutenfreesaver.com sends you newsletters with specials on groups of G-free items. It's a great way to get samples at a reduced price. Glenny's fruit and nut bars are good (cashew & almond, cranberry & almond) as are thinkThin peanut butter bars, Enjoy Life Cocoa Loco bars, Lara Bars (many flavors) and Raw Organic Food Bars (chocolate coconut).

The Gluten Free Mall sells products at a discount (http://www.celiac.com/glutenfreemall/specials.php) and Vitacost.com has good sales and purchase levels with free shipping and handling. If your local grocery carries Kettle Cuisine frozen g-free soups ... I can vouch for the Chili and Thai Curry Chicken flavors! There is also chicken noodle.

I subscribe to the Great Taste, No Gluten (Great Taste, No Pain) newsletter and I have Sherry Brescia's cook books; they make it easier to plan meals and Sherry gives a lot of good advice on achieving and maintaining digestive health. I follow many health professionals (not just traditonal medicine) such as Dr. Mercola, Mark Hyman, MD and Dr. Bob Marshall, PHd (Health Line Live - radio) and they all come into agreement in several areas. I have recently researched and begun using Bentonite Clay to aid in purification and healing of my digestive system. Be sure you do your research as well as draw on the experience of others and of health professionals (all types ... not just traditional medicine). Blessings to you! I know what you're going through to get healthy! Don't give up! ~Cathy~
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am also Celiac, but diagnosed many years ago. It's so hard. Its such a radical lifestyle change. But it becomes easy and second nature eventually. Hang in there!

Bread is definitely a problem. I don't have any solutions for you that include a good GF bread that holds up well in a ziploc, I have to be honest. I like making Pamela's Bread Mix bread, I like Udi's bagels, but I don't eat that stuff like I used to, and I always toast it. That's all part of the adjustment, and you will adjust to it, even as monumental as that seems now.

Great websites, free & clean recipes:

http://www.theppk.com/blog/ (my favorite. vegan, super clean, the few non-gf things are mostly very easy to convert and she says how to do -- she has a cookbook for $10 called Appetite For Reduction that is all low calorie)

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ (multiple allergy and celiac, lots of tempting treats, also some really nice soups and entrees)

http://glutenfreegirl.com/ (I haven't used as much but when I have I have liked it a lot)

Two of my go-to meals right now are egg white frittatas/omelets and quinoa salads. Both can be pretty free form, you just put what you feel like in there and they're tasty. I imagine you know what to do with eggs, if you eat them. Quinoa, in case you haven't encountered it before, is sort of like couscous or tabouli but it's a gluten free grain and it's much lighter and better tasting and its a superfood. You can get it practically anywhere, I get mine at Target. I cook it and then run it under cold water, then add chopped veggies, whatever I like at the moment (tomatoes and cukes are especially good), chopped parsley, chopped onion or scallions, a bit of citrus juice and a bit of cold gf soup broth, and some small pieces of dried fruit like raisins, craisins, or chopped dried apricots. Both of these yield foods that you can make in bulk, then put servings in tupperware and chill with an icepack when you go out.

If I couldn't eat any grains I think I would probably get 90% of my calories from avocados. Not sure that would be a good thing for me, but I'd just go for it.

This Celiac thing, it sucks, but it can also end up working for you. I do hate it when people are like "oh you don't eat wheat you must eat so clean" always trying to see the bright side of this complicated disease I will have for ever. That feels really f'ed up to me. Half the time right after they are like "maybe I'll go on a gluten free diet!! Did you lose weight?" Augh. But you do grow into it, and it's not all deprivation and misery and social ostracization and people thinking it must mean you're incredibly healthy for having a disease. Feel free to add me if you want some GF support! I never had any when I was diagnosed, so I am way too enthusiastic about offering it to others. :)
  • bpayne78
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll have to look up some of the sites that have been mentioned.

As far as leftovers.....we usually don't have any (or too little left to bother keeping). I have myself, my hubby, and two boys (10 & 6). The boys go through growth spurts at such a rate that ONE of them is always in one. Occasionally they are both in one at the same time! O.O
    I really need to look into more recipes that will give leftovers for me to take to work.

I do well most of the time but occasionally I hit a rough patch and get really frustrated and down about what to eat. Like recently, (and probably why I felt the need to write this in the first place) I unintentionally 'glutened' myself. When that happens I get in a foul mood for a while and depressed too. Like I'm in a constant ticked off mood (not fun because I get mad because I'm so ticked and then it's a vicious cycle.... :ohwell:) But I keep learning, get over the bumps and move on as quick as I can.

My coworkers are starting to get really cute about it. Every now and then one of them will say "hey I saw "insert product name here" and it said gluten free and I thought of you". That's kind of neat. :wink:

Again, thanks for the suggestions!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Just make a double recipe! If it normally feeds four, then doubling it will give you four lunches, or you can have one or two lunches and put the others in single-serving containers in the freezer for next time you don't have leftovers. My lunch is usually a baked potato, some frozen veggies, and some kind of leftovers. Leftovers often become snacks too, so I've got something nice and comforting when I get hungry and start browsing the fridge and cupboards for something to fill the hole.
    As far as leftovers.....we usually don't have any (or too little left to bother keeping). I have myself, my hubby, and two boys (10 & 6). The boys go through growth spurts at such a rate that ONE of them is always in one. Occasionally they are both in one at the same time! O.O
    I really need to look into more recipes that will give leftovers for me to take to work.