How often should I change my routine?

Options
So I've been going to the gym about 4 to 5 times a week. I do 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the treadmill each time. Every other day or so I'll do about 30 minutes on the weight training machines. I also do Pilates 4 days a week. (I've only been doing this schedule for two weeks now). But my question is how often should I change up my routine so my body doesnt get used to this schedule? Like should I substitute cycling for one of my 30 minute cardio or should I do a full hour on the treadmill instead, or what? Does the type of cardio even really matter or should I change up my weight machine routine? I've never really like focusing on just one body section at a time for the machines; I like to do a full body workout. Is that bad?

Thanks for any help/advice!

Replies

• lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm Really interesting on hearing views on this too
    Nicola x
  • shutterbabe
    shutterbabe Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Anyone? ...Bueller?...
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great question!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    you should definitely change your weight machine route. Use them as a towel rack and pick up a barbell.
  • joeyplatypus92
    Options
    lol this.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Whenever you get bored of what you are doing, and when it seems the exercise isn't as challenging anymore.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Generally 6-9 weeks is a good cycle time, If you enjoy that much cardio keep it up, as for the weights machines, You really ought to look into New Rules of Lifting for Women, I have some MFP's that have had great success with it. I am an Old School Army Master Fitness Trainer, and I would also tell you that at this point you might get better results by using body weight resistance training, its safer, and much of it will help develop good form for weight training later. You can friend and email me if you like. Please include a note with any strength training goals / Objectives you may have. I would caution you though I do not tolerate whining and excuses well but I will always be polite, even when I tell you what you screwed up.
  • ebandit63
    ebandit63 Posts: 8
    Options
    In my opinion, I do not think you would need to change your workouts, but rather increase the intensity of your workouts. It would be something like increasing the speed on your treadmill, or increasing the amount of weight on your machines. As you increase the intensity, your body will be forced to get stronger/faster/more efficient with oxygen delivery, etc.

In regards to your cardio, I think it does not matter what kind of cardio you do as long as you are challenging yourself everyday. Your body or metabolism will not stop improving just because you do the same type of exercise. Now, if you find yourself getting bored with a routine, it would be beneficial to change things up just to make sure you are still going to the gym. If anything, you can just do one treadmill day, and one cycling day if you want to keep things fresh and challenging.

In regards to full body workouts, you can workout your entire body in one day if you want, but make sure you are taking enough time off to let your body recover. Don't do it every single day. I hope this addresses some of your concerns.