Walking

Options
2»

Replies

• RainaWalks
    RainaWalks Posts: 72
    Options
    i love to walk and it is my exercise of choice too...i walk very fast naturally....looking at me from a distance it looks like i am a soldier marching real fast so i guess i look really funny...but if it helps...i remember having a rocking body in my 20s and all i did was walk everywhere....

enjoy your walks...
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great way to exercise, and I'm sure your pooch loves the extra attention ....... that's all I did at first ..... walking helped me lose the first 40 lbs .....

Enjoy :drinker:
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this post! I always feel so lazy...like I am not doing nearly enough. I love to walk...it is my favorite way to exercise and I take advantage of the nice weather for as long as we have it. All of my success in years past was from walking.
  • lh1626
    Options
    I should also explain....I feel so lazy when I read a lot of other posts. People doing all the videos...zumba...lifting...classes...etc. It makes me feel like walking is lazy....I was so happy to see this thread. I can't do any of the others.....I have horrible arthritis in my knees and anything more than walking and elliptical hurts....I am only 38 too.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I should also explain....I feel so lazy when I read a lot of other posts. People doing all the videos...zumba...lifting...classes...etc. It makes me feel like walking is lazy....I was so happy to see this thread. I can't do any of the others.....I have horrible arthritis in my knees and anything more than walking and elliptical hurts....I am only 38 too.

I think that this is a very common feeling, and it's a shame. There are so many people who claim that so-called High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is the only real way to lose fat and preserve muscle. These people then go on to define HIIT in a way that has no application to overweight people -- and obese people in particular. The truth is that walking at between 2.5 and 3.0 mph is HIIT to someone who is obese, rendering the acronym meaningless.
  • lh1626
    Options
    Spartan: thank you for your comment! I am so happy to know I am not alone! :-)
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Spartan: thank you for your comment! I am so happy to know I am not alone! :-)

You're welcome. Please keep at it. When I first started, I couldn't do a single jumping jack because the pain in my lumbar region was too extreme to bear. In fact, I struggled to get out of bed most mornings. After seven months of slowly building my strength back up by walking between 2.5 to 3.5 mph and strength training, I can presently run a 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds even with my body fat still at 19%. There is fat to lose to get that time way down. Parenthetically, I can now do 15 sets of 60 jumping jacks very easily. It just takes some time: the body can be so resilient. Best of luck to you!
  • Mssmoke27
    Mssmoke27 Posts: 12
    Options
    I love walking. I hate all the other activity workouts...unless I am actually doing it with someone, because I get bored easy and give up real easy as well. Walking is getting the heart bumping, but I mean......if i try to go for a run .....I'm like dying lol ......haha so why don't you do the walking till you loose as much weight as you want, and then when you loose the weight...... try to then run and it might be even easier on your ankles and yourself, and wont be as hard to keep up with the run, then if you where to do it now with having more weight on you. Like me at 160 I would die running lol, but I want to loose some more weight and then hopefully it will be a lot easier for me to try and start running because I will have built strength and momentum. If you want a little more to help make you feel better ...that you are doing more then just walk, you can add weights to your walk. Like 3lb weights and that actually helps out a lot in your arms and with how you walk. You can pick up the pace a bit to and you will see a tremendous difference. Good luck doll. I take my own advice lol and try to keep up with it. lol
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Weights and resistance training very important especially as you age...muscle mass decreases naturally...if you want your BMR to stay up you better build muscle.
  • AGGUK73
    AGGUK73 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input, it's made me feel better about my choice of excercise. Would love to say walking in the British countryside is a wonderful experience, BUT it clearly isn't! British summertime = hardly any sunshine, cold, windy & very wet! A raincoat & wellies is what I need to aid me in my walking! Off to don the north face jacket n wellies ;)
  • kimski08
    kimski08 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm loving walking at the moment. I try to get 2hours a day in. Cancelled my gym membership, other peoples sweat or fresh air... no competition.

I have read a few places to do some strength training while out on your walks. Seriously, have you ever seen anybody stop and do some pushups or a few reps on some dumb-bells? Maybe if I saw other people I might be more inclined to join in without feeling daft!! hehe.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this post! I always feel so lazy...like I am not doing nearly enough. I love to walk...it is my favorite way to exercise and I take advantage of the nice weather for as long as we have it. All of my success in years past was from walking.

When the weather is not so nice ... Walk at Home DVDs with Leslie Sansone. These are great if you don't have a treadmill & it's 98° outside.:devil: .... grr!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm loving walking at the moment. I try to get 2hours a day in. Cancelled my gym membership, other peoples sweat or fresh air... no competition.

I have read a few places to do some strength training while out on your walks. Seriously, have you ever seen anybody stop and do some pushups or a few reps on some dumb-bells? Maybe if I saw other people I might be more inclined to join in without feeling daft!! hehe.

How about a resistance band ?....http://www.livestrong.com/article/416390-resistance-band-walking-exercises/
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i love walking too! I'm glad to hear its a great exercise (and great FAT BURNING exercise!). I've been power walking at lunch hours during the work week almost every day for the past 3 months or so (and now that the weather is nice its even better!) and I have a dog so I'm enjoying walking him more too now that I'm down 35lbs in the last 2.5 months (and again, it's nicer out! :)). And i'm trying to walk the dog in the evenings on top of my walking to/from work - and my lunchtime walks (i do do weight/strength training too - and cardio in the gym (treadmill/ellipitcal), but i'd much prefer to put on some runners and just get walking!

It's nice to hear that a lot of you, all you are doing for exercise is walking and you are losing weight! :) Keep it up everyone and enjoy!