A painful stich in my left rib.

Options
I've been exercising for over 7 months now and I recently started getting a painful stitch in my left rib. I first noticed the pain about 5-6 days ago during a run, but it didn't bother me too much and I ran 3 miles. I ran another 3 miles two days after and the stitch was still there. The thing is, I get the stitch when I'm not even exercising. I stand and walk all day at work and I feel the painful stitch in my side randomly throughout the day. Now, I've been home for about an hour and I still feel a dulled down version of the stitch in my side.

How can I make or help it go away? I've tried changing my breathing to slower, steadier, breathing out when my left foot is forward and breathing in when my left foot is forward. Help!

Replies

• maradanielle
    maradanielle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am curious to know also.... I get the same thing but mine switches sides.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's not a kidney stone?
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it's a kidney stone, it's in my left side only and I urinate normally.
  • megmay2591
    Options
    bump.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I get a really sharp stitch in my right side when I'm on my last quarter mile of my 5 mile runs. I don't know why, but I'm going to try eating a banana before I go for the potassium.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Do you warm up and stretch before running?
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    sounds like a pinched nerve to me...have you considered seeing a Chiropractor?
  • taraaaal
    taraaaal Posts: 13
    Options
    If it hurts more when you breathe you might have exercise induced asthma... I have this and an inhaler helps. Talk to your doctor if your breathing is causing the pain.

:)
  • megmay2591
    Options
    I've never had a problem with stretching before working out, I always move around a bit before I am doing something more intense. Also, it happens at work or just walking around not only when I'm exercising.

I don't think it's something SUPER drastic like a pinched nerve, I don't need to rush off to the doctor after a few days.

I also don't think it's asthma because it's not hard to breath, I can breath just fine.

Besides going to the doctor, which I'll do if the pain doesn't lessen or go away in a few more days, any other ideas or solutions??
  • megmay2591
    Options
    bump!
  • megmay2591
    Options
    bump again...please help!
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    I play a doctor on here so I am going to diagnose you with a kidney infection....drink more water!
  • megmay2591
    Options
    I play a doctor on here so I am going to diagnose you with a kidney infection....drink more water!

I drink plenty of water.......everyday. I've never had a problem with it.