Questions for those who eat Egg White Only omelets, ect...

Options
Windchild
Windchild Posts: 129 Member
I see a lot of recipes and such that use only the whites of the an egg, and it has me wondering. So while I'm not sure this is the best place to ask, it is about food, so:

For those of you who eat egg white only foods, such as omelets or just egg whites, where do you get the whites? Do you buy an already, store made carton of some kind, or do you separate the eggs yourselves? If you separate the eggs yourselves, what do you do with the yolks? Which do you think is better, the store bought or the homemade?

Replies

• jealous_loser
    Options
    I have been just separeting the yolks out of the egg whites. I usually use one yolk though because that's the best part with 2 extra egg whites.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    fortuneatly I have 4 shish tzus who love to share my yolk in the mornings. I have never eaten pre made whites so can't judge on the flavor but try to stay with as much whole foods as possible. , I seperate on different sides of the skillet. some time I save the yolk for other recipes. I never jused to like just whites, but seeing it saves on calories and fat for my diary I kinda prefer it now.
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use the ones in the cartons. There are several brands but in my area Egg Beaters and Crystal Farms All Whites are the most available. They store well and are easily used when I need them. I like to make omelets using one egg/yolk and the rest egg whites. I have separated them myself, putting the yolks in my dogs' food. They love them but they're probably not great for them on an other than special treat basis. Overall, I like the store bought ones for convenience. Caveat: when possible, I try to go organic but my choices are limited where I live.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Store Brand, Carton of Egg Whites :)
  • ipock
    ipock Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Usually you can find cartons of egg beaters/ egg whites just next to the actual eggs, or possibly near the milk or cheese sections in a grocery store. In some ways, I actually prefer cooking egg whites if only for the convenience. No cracking or worrying about shells.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I use both, and can't really tell a difference between making them myself, or buying a carton of Egg Beaters. I usually throw the yolk out, or add it to my hubby's eggs if I'm cooking for both of us. I usually only eat eggs once or twice per week so I'm not wasting too many yolks.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    www.muscleegg.com

check it.
    ;)
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Even after a long hard talk to my chickens they refuse to lay white only eggs ;-). You can freeze egg yolks if you whisk them a little and add a pinch of salt or sugar. I keep my spares to make hollandaise, mayonnaise or custard for the rest of the family. As for taste nothing tastes better than a fresh free range egg, and the chickens are super easy and cheap to keep.
  • lbelle987
    lbelle987 Posts: 97
    Options
    I use both...I prefer separating the white from the yolk to use for omelets, scrambled eggs, etc. If I'm using the egg whites as a wash for chicken or pork to bread it for cooking, I'll use the prepared egg whites. Just my personal preference.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have been just separeting the yolks out of the egg whites. I usually use one yolk though because that's the best part with 2 extra egg whites.

I like this ratio, too. I'll also throw in a splash of milk.
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers. :) I'll definitely have to try the two whites to one yolk ratio.
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I had this EXACT thought this morning! I'm so glad somebody else asked!
  • Tishia11
    Tishia11 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Kroger Store Brand Carton of Egg Whites. If I go out for breakfast, I normally order the veggie egg white omelet.. Very tasty!