High Potassium<sp?> foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• kmillar1224
    kmillar1224 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Motts low sodium garden cocktail has 750mg of potassium...I have one in the morning and one at night and that has helped boost my levels A LOT!! Plus,it tastes pretty good.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    The best food that I've found for potassium is low sodium V8. 900mg per 8oz. I drink one every morning.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, do not trust MFP for potassium, its almost certainly under.

I personally am on a LCHF diet so I use avocado, spinach, lite mortons salt (50% potassium), and I supplement with 99mg potassium pills before bed to prevent cramps.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    The best food that I've found for potassium is low sodium V8. 900mg per 8oz. I drink one every morning.

Good lord! Looks like I got a shopping list to compile here now lol.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    Yes, the V8 definitely. But I get the low sodium hot and spicy and it is 1000 mg. per 8 oz! I drink 16 ounces per day.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Options
    Just got this from Webmd.com

What are the risks of taking potassium?
    Side effects. At normal doses, potassium is fairly safe. It may cause an upset stomach. Some people have allergies to potassium supplements.
    Interactions. Potassium supplements may not be safe if you take drugs for diabetes or heart disease. Check with your doctor.
    Warnings. People with kidney disease, diabetes, heart disease, Addison's disease, stomach ulcers, or other health problems should never take potassium supplements without talking to a doctor first.
    Overdose. Signs of a potassium overdose include confusion, tingling sensation in the limbs, low blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, weakness, and coma. Get emergency medical help.

Made me chuckle a bit. Also according to them an adult 18+ should take int 4700mg/daily.
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The FDA doe snot require manufacturers to list potassium on their labels so you are probably getting a lot more than you think (or MFP says) you are.

This is good to know. It was driving me crazy that my diary keeps telling me that I'm not getting enough of this mineral.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bump....I too get the worst leg cramps after working out lately, like restless leg syndrome. They hurt really bad, I usually eat a banana.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Also, when I had this issue, I found this list helpful http://www.algaecal.com/potassium-foods-list.html as the nutrition facts for most foods does not list potassium!
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    bump....I too get the worst leg cramps after working out lately, like restless leg syndrome. They hurt really bad, I usually eat a banana.

You may also need magnesium. Some calcium supplements include magnesium and there is a product called Natural Calm that you can mix with water or juice and supplies needed magnesium.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Options
    Wow I really did NOT expect this much info on this topic :D Thansk so much everyone.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You may also need magnesium

Exactly, as far as fighting cramps go its really about the "electrolytes". Potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium. Get enough of those and you should never have cramping issues.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    The doctor told my mom to eat a banana a day and to drink lots of water to prevent leg cramps.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    Options

You may also need magnesium. Some calcium supplements include magnesium and there is a product called Natural Calm that you can mix with water or juice and supplies needed magnesium.

Oh thanks! I'll try that. I thought maybe it was Iron too, but gave blood and my Iron was perfect. Never thought about Magnesium. Thanks i'll look it up! :smile:
  • Naytahlee
    Naytahlee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are also high in potassium.
  • hparr1
    hparr1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    Options
  • h822
    h822 Posts: 6
    Options
    Google "potassium counter". There are online databases for searching and sorting thousands of foods for potassium content.