Full-time caregivers, when do you exercise?

Options
Anyone else caring for an elderly parent or disabled child at home? Looking for creative workout ideas, for those times when you don't have help or can't leave the house.

Replies

• bonnie5455
    Options
    When my kids were little...I used to put on the music and dance! With them, around them, picking up toys, doing dishes...while they napped...and if it is possible at all to get the elderly or disabled to move...help them...they feel better, you feel better and it's good for everyone. Not always possible...and much easier to say than do...good luck.
  • duhblond
    duhblond Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    I am the sole caregiver for my special needs son.
    I only am able to work out at home as I can not leave him.
    So I do alot of tapes.
    I try and workout when he is asleep, while holding him (back breaker lol) or while he is occupied.
    It is not easy and often I have to split my workouts... but I try and not miss a day as it really helps with my stress levels even if sometimes it hurts physically.
    The workouts I most often do are....
    Chalean Extreme (for weight lifting), Leslie Sansone Walk at home (cardio - some are really fast 10-12 minute aerobic walks), Core Fusion (mix of pilates and strength training) and I typically do one day of yoga or pilates just as a rest day and to increase my flexibility. And on days I'm really tired (or too sore lol) I use a stationary bike.
    I hope you find the you time.
    Feel free to add me if you are looking for support:)
  • laura2501
    laura2501 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    im a carrer too at the minute i am doing the 30 day shred at 4:30 am, i have enough time to do it and have a cuppa before i start the day not too bad as i go to bed at around 9pm but it is still a long day
  • MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Midge and I am the caregiver of 6 adults with Special needs..my husband and.I have a group home. Someone has to be at home at all times. Between doctors appts, dental appt ments and having to entertain my guys, hubby and I don't get out together. But we love what we do we have been at the caregiver gig for 27 years, first taking care of my nana who had dementia. I get bored doing tapes though will do them if I done have any thing else planned. There are mini challenges on this site so I have worked them into my day! They take very little time and can be done through out the day. I also have a go to routine that I took from Chris Powell, he suggests while watching tv during commercials do 15 sit ups, 15 jumping jack, 15 squats and I throw in 15 push ups for kicks and giggles.