What would you do for charity?

Options
blazeybug87
blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
A good male friend of mine is waxing his legs and chest for charity and anyone who donates gets a copy of the happy occasion!

It got me wondering...

What's the most extreme thing you would do for charity?

Replies

• GetSkinny97
    Options
    Every year I get at least 8 in. cut off my hair and donate it to kids who have lost their hair.

But I'd probably do something more extreme than that for a charity, it's always worth it. :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I sponsor a 4 year old kid, Emmanuel from Kenya :)
    Next year, my best friend and I are going to Sri Lanka for 3 months to help out in an elephant orphanage!!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Im going to be spending 2 years in the peacecorps once I get my bachelors...
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I try to do a lot for charity, including sponsoring a lovely young girl in Uganda, but nothing for me has been harder than a 23-mile hike I did last year.

I wanted to do something challenging, that would be worth people donating, so I found the hike and signed up. A few friends decided to join me, and we did a lot of training walks. After each one, I'd come home shaking and feeling sick, ice cold and in agony. I hated it. The final walk included mountain climbing, balancing on clifftop ledges and climbing a waterfall. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Luckily, I didn't get too ill - kept my energy up with chocolate, though I didn't want the pie at the end! It was a big achievement, but I've never gone walking again. Couldn't stand it, and only did it to raise money. In the end, I didn't make all that much.

From now on, it will just be my runs. I plan on doing one a year for charity. This year it's in October, and next year I've got one booked for May.
  • Jani2416
    Jani2416 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Great topic!

I actually want to do a fundraising campaign for the hospital for sick kids in Toronto, hopefully I'll get some ideas from this thread.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I volunteer half a day a week to a local charity!
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I haven't done anything too extreme. I donated my hair to locks of love. I helped organize a motorcycle ride for a friend who has cervical cancer. I am helping out with a golf tournament for a friend of mine's foundation. My cub scouts regularly do service projects. This summer both kids and I delivered lunches for the summer lunch program. If more people got involved in small ways, we wouldn't have to go to extremes.
  • sarabshi
    sarabshi Posts: 20
    Options
    I haven't done anything extreme.

Last month I walked 12 miles for the baby care unit in my local hospital. It was hard work on no training at all!

I would go further..