What is the 30 day shred?

Options
Please can someone enlighten me as to what the 30 day shred is?

I have heard some good reviews and I want to try it! :)

Replies

• Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels exercise DVD. You can find it anywhere for $10 or less.
  • SweetPickle007
    Options
    you can watch a portion of it on youtube.com if you want to check it out.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It's a workout video by trainer Jillian Michaels (from The Biggest Loser). It combines 3 levels of interval/circuit training that includes cardio, strength, and abs. You're supposed to do it for 20 mins every day for 30 days. 20 mins sounds like nothing, right? I bought the DVD and I like it, but it's a tough workout for me personally. I wouldn't discourage anyone to try out, but if you go from not exercising at all and then trying to do this for 30 days straight, it's DEFINITELY a challenge. It left me extremely sore for 3 days in a row and I could barely walk, even though I did all the "modified" versions of the exercises...but it's definitely worth trying. I'd give it 2.5 maybe 3 stars out of 5 lol
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    It's a workout video by trainer Jillian Michaels (from The Biggest Loser). It combines 3 levels of interval/circuit training that includes cardio, strength, and abs. You're supposed to do it for 20 mins every day for 30 days. 20 mins sounds like nothing, right? I bought the DVD and I like it, but it's a tough workout for me personally. I wouldn't discourage anyone to try out, but if you go from not exercising at all and then trying to do this for 30 days straight, it's DEFINITELY a challenge. It left me extremely sore for 3 days in a row and I could barely walk, even though I did all the "modified" versions of the exercises...but it's definitely worth trying. I'd give it 2.5 maybe 3 stars out of 5 lol

...but I'm also weak. If you can get through it without killing yourself, GO FOR IT! haha :)
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    We do Jillian Michaels 30DS about 3-4 times per week. Our muscles are getting well defined and our stamina is increasing. We completed the full 30 days and now just rotate weekly among the levels to keep our muscles confused.
  • sarabshi
    sarabshi Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I am now currently bidding on Ebay :)

I do hardly any exercise, simply because I don't seem to have the time but if I can find a DVD that works for me, 20 mins really is nothing.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the Level 1 via youtube. The whole session from start to finish is about 27 minutes. Moving on to Level 2 tomorrow.

I also found that Jillian doesn't do a lot of warm up stretches and that was killing my calves during jumping jacks/jump rope so I found another video on youtube to do 5 minutes of warm up and that made it a bit easier. So I would advise that you do some warm ups before setting off with Jillian.

Also the first couple of days I did it, my legs were really sore. Partly because I wasn't used to any exercise and really unfit and partly because of the lack of proper warm up.

I also found i needed a proper sports bra to make things more comfortable.

Hope that helps :) Good luck!
  • sarabshi
    Options
    Sports bra! ordered! :)

Thanks for your help, I will make sure I do some warm up first!

The last thing I want is to be sore for days on end hehe

• fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I am now currently bidding on Ebay :)

I do hardly any exercise, simply because I don't seem to have the time but if I can find a DVD that works for me, 20 mins really is nothing.

You can fit exercise in virtually any schedule, doesn't have to be a gym. I walk to and from work each day (helps me think more than anything) so by increasing the pace so I break a sweat it's exercise, it could be gardening or house work, etc just make sure you put some extra effort in. Every little helps, I've even found the wii has helped.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options

I would also consider extra cool down stretching too. I have done the shred right the way through with great results (lost 12.5 inches overall and dropped a dress size) and now mix it in with other exercises each week to keep the toning up. I do a brisk 5 minute walk or elliptical before to warm up and then a 15 minute Pilates DVD to cool down afterwards and keep muscle long and lean.

I started off with large cans as weights as that was all I could manage (blimey I was feeble then), but now do all the upper body moves with 5kg dumbells, so I am definitely A LOT stronger than I was. Lovely little "girl biceps" too and no bingo wings - not bad for nearly 53 :happy:
  • sarabshi
    Options
    I walk everywhere as I don't drive and only take public transport if I have to go somewhere far.

I also have a rowing machine at home which I use a couple of times a week while watching tv :)

I will aim to do 30 day shred (which I have just won on Ebay for £2.54!) a couple of times a week..

I have a rather demanding job but I guess, if I want to lose I need to put the work in!

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated :)
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options

In my experience you WILL be sore when you first start. Days 2-4 are the worst. Get a good warmup in and push on through anyway - it does pass.

Have fun!
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yay for another public transport user :-) I also got rid of my car but so I could read more, easier for us city dwellers (and those that can afford it in the UK). You sound like you already do a fair bit, sure you'll go great guns at it - please report back how you find it.
  • sarabshi
    Options
    Will do, hopefully it won't take too long to arrive :)
  • Hellaine
    Hellaine Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this now, on Day 9 today and had to take a few days off because if shin splints due to the video. The workout is awesome and I've already dropped half a pant size and look more defined, I love it and will continue to do it (and hi, anyone else doing it, throw me an add and let's support each other!)--however, I wanna echo what someone else said. The warmups and stretched are not enough by far, especially if you don't do a lot of high impact workouts regularly. There is a lot of 'floor-stomping', so try to do like ten minutes of especially calf focused warmup/stretching before hand, so you aren't getting calf pain or taking shin splint days off!

Otherwise, I can't praise this workout enough :)
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    The tips on this board are great. I never thought to do extra stretching before AND after 30 Day Shred. That's probably a good idea!