advice on job seeking? please help?

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Okay, so I have just started a new job last week.
This job may or may not only be a temporary position until the main guy comes back from holidays in 2 montgs, they said they will not know whether or not they can give me hours up until closer to the date.

I need a permanent position- bills, etc.
I have also had an offer by another gym, they are looking for someone to start straight away- a permanent position. I would feel bad for leaving but the problem is that I need to know that I will be bringing in an income. I feel bad for leaving after one week though and I don't want them to be down people whilst this guy is on holidays.

Should I stick around and see if they will end up needing me? Or should I go out and take the other job???

Replies

• 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You have to do what's best for you. Take the permanent position and explain that while you appreciate their offer, you need something permanent and stable. It does suck, but they have to understand that a maybe job vs. a permanent position is a no brainer for those of us who pay our bills and like to eat on a regular basis. I deal with this all the time in the gym I work at. It's the nature of the beast that people come and go. Good luck! Oh, and what will you be doing for them?
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I think you should consult a crystal ball.... Come on, stupidity.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i would take the permanent position.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    You have to do what's best for you. Take the permanent position and explain that while you appreciate their offer, you need something permanent and stable. It does suck, but they have to understand that a maybe job vs. a permanent position is a no brainer for those of us who pay our bills and like to eat on a regular basis. I deal with this all the time in the gym I work at. It's the nature of the beast that people come and go. Good luck! Oh, and what will you be doing for them?

Hey there,

I would be doing reception and floor work as I have just completed my Cert 3, still in training to get my Cert 4 :)
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Give them an ultimatum: make it permanent or you'll be forced to leave. Put it nicely, but make it clear you need a permanent position. Then it's their decision - not yours - to end your employment (although you'll be the one leaving).

Remember, companies will drop you like a bad habit when it suits them. You owe them nothing.

--P
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had this dilemma years ago...except I had only worked one day at job A before a better offer materialized. I quit the next day to take job B and in a strange twist of fate, 12 years later I married the son of the boss from job A.

Everything has a funny way of working out. Do what you need to do to.

Best wishes!

(Boss turned-mother-in-law took the resignation understandingly btw) :P
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I had this dilemma years ago...except I had only worked one day at job A before a better offer materialized. I quit the next day to take job B and in a strange twist of fate, 12 years later I married the son of the boss from job A.

Everything has a funny way of working out. Do what you need to do to.

Best wishes!

(Boss turned-mother-in-law took the resignation understandingly btw) :P

hold on... :noway: whaaaaat! lol that's hilarious
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Beauty,

Haha...yep! I couldn't have a better husband either! :)

Life is just so funny like that. :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Beauty,

Haha...yep! I couldn't have a better husband either! :)

Life is just so funny like that. :)

That's just cute :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Give them an ultimatum: make it permanent or you'll be forced to leave. Put it nicely, but make it clear you need a permanent position. Then it's their decision - not yours - to end your employment (although you'll be the one leaving).

Remember, companies will drop you like a bad habit when it suits them. You owe them nothing.

--P

I like this. Thanks.