A Silly Question for the Bilingual

Options
I have been blessed to have a myriad of friends who are from different cultures and am fascinated by those bi- and multilingual people. That being said, I have a question: When you're thinking, what language are you thinking in? For example, I understand if your native language is Spanish and you can speak English fluently but when you're having thoughts to yourself what language do you process it in? Just a curiousity on my part. Look forward to the responses!

Replies

• BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I always think in my mother tongue, so english.
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    English most of the time

Spanish when Im with my Mexicano friends, at a Mexican restaurant or watching Tele Mundo :-)
  • heidimaggott5
    Options
    My home language is English , so that's the language I think in.
    When I went to school, Afrikaans was a compulsory language, so all South Africans were expected to speak it, and to speak it well, or we were ridiculed. Things have changed since then, but the majority of people here are either bi or multi lingual, with English being a second, or often third language.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    As an engineer I work with many bilngual people from all over the globe.
    Those that cannot think in English never last because they take too much time to translate between their language and the programming in English that they share with others.
    Those that think in Englsh do very well.
  • sissy0107
    sissy0107 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can speak three languages, English, French and Chinese, and when I was learning them, one of my best practice was to force myself to think in another language, now I switch depending on the situation but it's mainly French as it is my mother tongue, although when I'm logged in here it's English.
  • evanescent_jasmine
    evanescent_jasmine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That depends on the subject I'm thinking about. My mother tongue is Arabic, but if I'm thinking about, say, an American movie or an English book, I think of them in English. Usually. The terms are just easier in English and come more naturally.

Now if I'm thinking about something like my diet, that's a mash-up of both languages, as I track it on an English site and think in terms of calories and portions and such but think of the food in Arabic. Make sense?
  • Papabear0428
    Options
    I always think in my mother tongue, so english.

I am very envious of those who can speak more than one language fluently (I know some Spanish but I am nowhere near as fluent as I would like!). What other languages do you speak?
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    As an engineer I work with many bilngual people from all over the globe.
    Those that cannot think in English never last because they take too much time to translate between their language and the programming in English that they share with others.
    Those that think in Englsh do very well.

I've taught English as a foreign language quite a bit (still do on a temporary basis here and there) and I'm always on at my students to think in English, not translate, for precisely this reason. I teach it by introducing the concept through a picture/object or by explaining it in English, then giving them the new word, then making them use the new words through questions and answers in context. Translation is banned; I've even confiscated dictionaries in the past. If they don't understand they have to ask me in English and I'll explain/demonstrate again in English. The result is that they quickly learn to think in English when they speak English (even the beginner classes) and their fluency improves a lot.

In addition to slowing them down, thinking in their own language then translating results in a lot of errors because expressions and grammar are not the same in each language, e.g. students saying "before two weeks" instead of "two weeks ago" or "close the lights" instead of "turn off the lights" etc.

Back on the original topic: my kids are bilingual, my older daughter (almost 6 yrs old) just switches from one language to the other just as quickly as turning her head from one person to the other. She knows who speaks what languages and will speak to them in their language, and even translates for me. I've asked her what language she thinks in and she looked at me like I was crazy.
  • Ellyabell
    Ellyabell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My mother tongue is German but I work at least half of my time in English. I think in both languages, partially depending on the situation, but also on which words just come first to my mind. I also often think or take notes using a mixture of both laguages.
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When I went to school, Afrikaans was a compulsory language, so all South Africans were expected to speak it, and to speak it well, or we were ridiculed. Things have changed since then, but the majority of people here are either bi or multi lingual, with English being a second, or often third language.

^^^^^^ this
    When I speak in Afrikaans or watch an Afrikaans tv show I tend to think in Afrikaans, otherwise I think in English. One of my best friends is Afrikaans and if I have spent the day at her place or with her family, I tend to come home still thinking in Afrikaans and even start speaking that at home. I also speak a little Zulu, but have to admit that I find it hard to think in ZUlu, dont think I know enough words, lol.
  • mikejacobs1958
    Options

Think and Speak English, live in the UK now.
    But having grown up in South Africa, Afrikaans is still spoken to friends, often swear in it.......
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I thinking the language that I am speaking in. I don't translate it. Each sentence of questions requires a response. If I am asked a question. Tudo bem? I don't think this is a greeting "[Are] all [things] good? I respond with Tudo bem. All [things are] good. In English we would say Is everything good? and respond, "Everything's good." My point is simply that I think in the language of the situation. When I travel in Brazil, I rarely think of English unless I come a across a word that I don't know, then I go to the pocket dictionary.

Learning another language is easier if you don't translate to English and then back.

Funny, I found that i also dream in different languages.
  • samra2012
    samra2012 Posts: 715
    Options
    In spanish.... thats why sometimes people doesnt understand haha!
  • relly1008
    relly1008 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Well my english is not as good as i want,(working on that), but good enough to have a conversation, so i think in my 1st language Spanish
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Espanol when I am with my peeps, English the other times!

Lol samra2012 maybe that's what happens with me to! :laugh:
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I was brought up in a bilingual house, mostly English though, because I was raised in England!
    I tend to switch, depending on what I'm doing. I notice if I'm by myself I think in Spanish, with others I think in English!
    I don't have a lot of Spanish friends around here :(
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Guess it just depends what I'm thinking about...but most of the time it's english.
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    taglish ----a mix of Tagalog and English :D
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I dated a guy who was brought up in Germany so he thought in German then translated to English. After he had live in England for a few years he began to think in English and translate to German. I guess it depends what you use the most.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a switch in my head as weird as that sounds. It's a slow switch. Takes a couple days to flick over. If I'm in England then everything I do is in English. Even dreaming.

If I go back to Switzerland then after a couple of days the switch moves over to the German position and everything starts running in German. I can always tell when the switch has clicked, because I start dreaming in Swiss-German again. When I get back to England, after a couple of days, everything's back to English.

The only exception appears to be phone numbers and pin numbers. The language I learnt them in is the language I have to remember them in. Very weird lol