Recipe for bean soup

Options
jnhu72
jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
I have a bag of dried pinto beans I bought awhile ago, and now I'm short on cash so I am trying to use things in my cabinet. Does anyone have a cheap recipe for bean soup? Thanks!!

Replies

• TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    This is easy and pretty cheap. I like hot food, if not; green peppers could work I guess. Soaking the beans overnight would make it quicker the next day.

Pinto Bean Soup

Ingredients
    1 bag(s) pinto beans (16 oz)
    1 large brown onion
    1 tablespoon(s) minced fresh garlic
    2 medium jalepenos
    1 tablespoon(s) sea salt

Directions

1.Rinse beans and put in a 4qt. (or larger) pot. Add 5 cups of water to pot.
    2.Chop the onion and jalapeños. Add to the pot. Add the garlic and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until beans are soft. About 4 hours.
    3.Serve in soup bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro and onion.
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This is easy and pretty cheap. I like hot food, if not; green peppers could work I guess. Soaking the beans overnight would make it quicker the next day.

Pinto Bean Soup

Ingredients
    1 bag(s) pinto beans (16 oz)
    1 large brown onion
    1 tablespoon(s) minced fresh garlic
    2 medium jalepenos
    1 tablespoon(s) sea salt

Directions

1.Rinse beans and put in a 4qt. (or larger) pot. Add 5 cups of water to pot.
    2.Chop the onion and jalapeños. Add to the pot. Add the garlic and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until beans are soft. About 4 hours.
    3.Serve in soup bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro and onion.

This but also add a can of diced tomatoes if you have them. I make this quite often and it is suprisingly delicious considering the humble ingredients.
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This is really good, quick and easy to make. :)

Spicy Black Bean Soup

1 spray(s) cooking spray
    1 medium uncooked onion, finely chopped
    4 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
    45 oz canned black beans, undrained, divided (three 15 oz cans)
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
    1 tsp ground cumin
    14 1/2 oz fat-free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
    10 oz canned tomatoes with green chilis, such as Rotel Tomatoes
    11 oz canned yellow corn, drained
    ( I just use frozen corn instead of canned)

Instructions:

Coat bottom of a large stockpot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.

Place one can of beans in blender; add sautéed onion mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour mixture back into stockpot.

Place second can of beans and broth in blender and puree until smooth; add to stockpot.

Stir third can of beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into stockpot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of soup per serving.

9Yb6ql.jpg
  • linderlou25
    Options
    bump bean soup