Snacking every 2-3 hours?

Options
I've read and also been told by several different people that I should be eating/snacking (healthily) about every 2-3 hours. Is this true? I find it hard to believe that I should be eating or snacking at times when I'm not even hungry. How's that beneficial to weight loss??

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary unless you have some strange condition requiring you to eat very frequently. Previously believed rumor was that frequent feeding boosts your metabolism. This is not the case.

Focus on total daily intake. Structure your meal timing to preference and performance.
  • om3guz
    om3guz Posts: 48
    Options
    I snack throughout the day, probably every 2-3 hours. I don't eat big meals. For example, today's "lunch" was Chobani yogurt, a Lean Cuisine meal, and string cheese (all eaten two hours apart). I have a before-dinner snack (today, Triscuit crackers), followed by a light dinner, and a late night snack if I am still hungry.

If I am hungry, I eat. Even before I started logging on MFP, I ate more snacks than meals. Sometimes I will have a large meal but I make sure to eat lightly throughout the day to stay within my calorie goals. I love food. I can't imagine waiting hours between meals to eat!
  • A_Valerie
    A_Valerie Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i try and eat every 2-3 hours so that i do not get famished. if i do not snack on something healthy like fresh fruit, i find at meal times i am more likely to make bad choices b'cuz i am soooo hungry.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It comes down to personal preference. Some people find it helps them to snack regularly, or eat several small meals throughout the day. On the other extreme, some people do intermittent fasting, where they might eat all their calories for the day in one big meal. It doesn't make a difference to weight loss, so just carry on eating in the way that suits you.
  • jbaran4
    jbaran4 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been on a low carb, high protein diet for a few months now and it is very successful. The purpose of eating every few hours is to keep blood sugar in check. When blood sugar dips, you are mosre likely to overeat and binge on unhealthly things. If you space your food, you eat less and can plan for your meals. Protein bars and great to have on the go and keep you from picking up that snickers bar.
  • missindepndnt86
    missindepndnt86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input y'all! :bigsmile: